DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   Powered USB Hub (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/337700-powered-usb-hub.html)

Jim Thompson[_3_] March 22nd 12 08:57 PM

Powered USB Hub

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Joel Koltner[_3_] March 22nd 12 09:05 PM

Powered USB Hub

Jim Thompson wrote:
I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

Since USB is so, um, universal it's not surprising to find a
manufacturer who keeps model numbers and prices the same but has changed
the chip(s) inside which may noticeably change performance,
unfortunately. I.e., the popular D-Link DUB-H7
(http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DUB-H7-.../dp/B00008VFAF)
has been around for at least 5 years now, and has gone through multiple
internal design revisions.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

I have one of these that I like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182208 --
pretty inexpensive and it "works fine for me."

Note that very few hubs -- almost none once you're above 4 ports --
comes with a power supply beefy enough to provide a full 500mA to all
ports; I've often felt that the ratio of the power supply's current
output to "number of ports multiplied by 500mA" gave at least some
indication of the quality of the design. (I.e., if they cut a bigger
corner with the power supply, they probably made bigger cuts elsewhere...)

Manufacturers do this, of course, since it's incredibly unlikely anyone
would actually have, e.g., 10 peripherals that all truly need 500mA on a
10-port hub, so they save money with a smaller power supply.

---Joel

Jim Thompson[_3_] March 22nd 12 09:11 PM

Powered USB Hub

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:05:15 -0700, Joel Koltner
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Good direction pointing, Joel!

Based on power, I found this...

http://tinyurl.com/7g4doy9

I have not nearly that much load, but that looks like a safe bet.

...Jim Thompson

BeeJ March 22nd 12 10:28 PM

Powered USB Hub

Consider a powered USB 3.0 Hub? I see that they are not that much more
expensive.
Anyone know of problems with these?

--
Noah's Ark was built by amateurs,
The Titanic was built by professionals.

Martin Riddle March 23rd 12 12:00 AM

Powered USB Hub

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

I have one of their USB-1gbs Ethernet adaptors. Its made well, and
works. (although USB is only good for ~200mbs)

Cheers

Jamie March 23rd 12 01:12 AM

Powered USB Hub

Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Really? I thought it was 480mbs? That is, the main port..

Jamie

Michael Black[_2_] March 23rd 12 11:04 PM

Powered USB Hub

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Jim Thompson wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Get a PCI card that adds USB functionality.

I was all set to buy a hub when I came across a computer lying on the
sidewalk, and it had a USB board inside. No need for a hub after that,
but I do get more USB ports.

Of course, if there was a special reason for a hub, you didn't mention it.

Michael

Michael A. Terrell March 23rd 12 11:38 PM

Powered USB Hub

Michael Black wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Jim Thompson wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Get a PCI card that adds USB functionality.

I was all set to buy a hub when I came across a computer lying on the
sidewalk, and it had a USB board inside. No need for a hub after that,
but I do get more USB ports.

Let me know when you find some four port low profile USB boards
laying around, for salvage. I need two. :)

Martin Riddle March 25th 12 02:33 AM

Powered USB Hub

"Jamie" t wrote in
message ...
Martin Riddle wrote:

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Eeek, Senior moment? Well, I sure didn’t get the full 667mbs
theoretical thruput, but is was somewhere around the USB port speed.
Which must have been ~400mbs, not 200mbs. I should check it again. But
the point was that it worked with out a hitch.

Cheers

JosephKK March 26th 12 01:34 AM

Powered USB Hub

wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

'Cept for really cheap crap, i haven't had any hub problems.

You may wish to get some USB 3 hubs, but they are never more than 4:1.

Not a lurker, i post.

?-)

WoolyBully March 26th 12 05:24 AM

Powered USB Hub

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-High-Sp...2732270&sr=8-2

WoolyBully March 26th 12 05:53 AM

Powered USB Hub

http://www.amazon.com/Bynovel-Monste...635& sr=1-156

JW March 28th 12 12:14 PM

Powered USB Hub

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:38:37 -0400 "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in Message id:
:

Michael Black wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Jim Thompson wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Get a PCI card that adds USB functionality.

I was all set to buy a hub when I came across a computer lying on the
sidewalk, and it had a USB board inside. No need for a hub after that,
but I do get more USB ports.

Let me know when you find some four port low profile USB boards
laying around, for salvage. I need two. :)

If you can't get 'em for free (and shipping is never really free), these
are pretty cheap and have five ports:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PORTS-USB-...em3f14d9 c3fb

Michael A. Terrell March 28th 12 02:15 PM

Powered USB Hub

wrote in Message id:
:

Michael Black wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Jim Thompson wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Get a PCI card that adds USB functionality.

I was all set to buy a hub when I came across a computer lying on the
sidewalk, and it had a USB board inside. No need for a hub after that,
but I do get more USB ports.

Let me know when you find some four port low profile USB boards
laying around, for salvage. I need two. :)

If you can't get 'em for free (and shipping is never really free), these
are pretty cheap and have five ports:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PORTS-USB-...em3f14d9 c3fb

That's not low profile. I bought two of these from another seller.
Three weeks later I got an e-mail stating that the entire shipment was
defective, and they refunded the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300644995557#ht_1571wt_1187

This is interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698468108 I've had computers with dead USB
ports because of bad drivers and no way to update, since they had no
PS/2 ports.

Joel Koltner[_3_] March 28th 12 06:09 PM

Powered USB Hub

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
This is interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698468108

Wow, that is.

I guess there's a lot of those "industrial" keyboards (either ruggedized
or with extra keys or whatever), barcode scanners, etc. that have PS/2
interfaces and aren't going away any time soon? So on new builds it
ends up being easier to stick in a card like that than to pick from the
small number of motherboards that still have PS/2 keyboard/mouse support?

I've seen plenty of PS/2 to USB converters for keyboards and mice, but
for industrial PCs I can see that a PCI card might be a bit more attractive.

Archimedes' Lever March 29th 12 01:32 AM

Powered USB Hub

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:09:41 -0700, Joel Koltner
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
This is interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698468108

Wow, that is.

I guess there's a lot of those "industrial" keyboards (either ruggedized
or with extra keys or whatever), barcode scanners, etc. that have PS/2
interfaces and aren't going away any time soon? So on new builds it
ends up being easier to stick in a card like that than to pick from the
small number of motherboards that still have PS/2 keyboard/mouse support?

I've seen plenty of PS/2 to USB converters for keyboards and mice, but
for industrial PCs I can see that a PCI card might be a bit more attractive.

There are gender flippers both ways.

The difference with this card is that it goes under the PCI bus and
gets an interrupt assigned to it as in the legacy method and will almost
always underlying OS support, whereas a USB to PS2 device will not get an
interrupt and *has* to also have underlying OS support for an HID device.

Michael A. Terrell March 31st 12 12:43 AM

Powered USB Hub

Joel Koltner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
This is interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698468108

Wow, that is.

I guess there's a lot of those "industrial" keyboards (either ruggedized
or with extra keys or whatever), barcode scanners, etc. that have PS/2
interfaces and aren't going away any time soon? So on new builds it
ends up being easier to stick in a card like that than to pick from the
small number of motherboards that still have PS/2 keyboard/mouse support?

I've seen plenty of PS/2 to USB converters for keyboards and mice, but
for industrial PCs I can see that a PCI card might be a bit more attractive.

It might even be Jorge proof. ;-)