Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ? - Delco_458-055.jpg (0/1)

Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in message
Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?

Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
in the '70's.
Art

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in message
Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?

Maybe, I have two little Aqua green Delco transistor boxes, let me check
on that number.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message

wrote in message
Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?

Maybe, I have two little Aqua green Delco transistor boxes, let me
check on that number.

Cheers

Nope, different animals.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Artemus Inscribed thus:

wrote in message
Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?

Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
in the '70's.
Art

Yes that is what I'd have gone for...

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
?? Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?
?
? Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
? in the '70's.
? Art

Yes that is what I'd have gone for...

Or the Delco DS503 Germanium output transistor they used in their car
radios. Delco was still mostly Germanium in the '70s.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte121.pdf
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
?? Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?
?
? Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
? in the '70's.
? Art

Yes that is what I'd have gone for...

Or the Delco DS503 Germanium output transistor they used in their
car radios. Delco was still mostly Germanium in the '70s.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte121.pdf

Ooo... I remember that one and the negative/positive earth issues.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:20:03 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
?? Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?
?
? Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
? in the '70's.
? Art

Yes that is what I'd have gone for...

Or the Delco DS503 Germanium output transistor they used in their car
radios. Delco was still mostly Germanium in the '70s.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte121.pdf

As a teenager I used a DS501 running class-A, with a big-ass choke,
direct driving the speaker. Custom made heatsink courtesy of my
father-in-law to be (a machine shop operator ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
?? Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?
?
? Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
? in the '70's.
? Art

Yes that is what I'd have gone for...

Or the Delco DS503 Germanium output transistor they used in their
car
radios. Delco was still mostly Germanium in the '70s.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte121.pdf

It is definitely npn. I believe most Germanium were pnp.
I also measured Vbe to be 0.6 volts, so it seems to be Silicon.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
?? Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?
?
? Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
? in the '70's.
? Art

Yes that is what I'd have gone for...

Or the Delco DS503 Germanium output transistor they used in their
car
radios. Delco was still mostly Germanium in the '70s.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte121.pdf

It is definitely npn. I believe most Germanium were pnp.
I also measured Vbe to be 0.6 volts, so it seems to be Silicon.

I would have tried a 2N3055 ! At least its not a "doorknob". :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I think when the industry was leaving Germanium Delco elected to not
retool and stay in that business. Probably a wise decision.

On Sat, 11 Feb. 2012 22:39:46 +0100,
wrote:

Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?

John Ferrell W8CCW
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Baron" wrote in message
Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
?? Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?
?
? Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
? in the '70's.
? Art

Yes that is what I'd have gone for...

Or the Delco DS503 Germanium output transistor they used in their
car
radios. Delco was still mostly Germanium in the '70s.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte121.pdf

It is definitely npn. I believe most Germanium were pnp.
I also measured Vbe to be 0.6 volts, so it seems to be Silicon.

I would have tried a 2N3055 ! At least its not a "doorknob". :-)

In my school days I used to go scrounging round the factories - one firm
gave me a big bag with loads of "doorknob" transistors.

Unfortunately someone decided I didn't keep my room tidy enough and slung
the lot!

Probably would have been worth decent money to a vintage collector by now.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Ferrell" wrote in message
I think when the industry was leaving Germanium Delco elected to not
retool and stay in that business. Probably a wise decision.

Their transistors were once a popular choice for hobby projects CDI units,
there was one even got published in a Ham magazine with the photo showing
the Delco TO3s mounted ontop the box.

It turned up in various other electronics hobby magazines throughout the
English speaking world - possibly even the same author cashing in as many
times as possible.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
[...]

Let me guess... Mom ! Yes, mine did that to me as well.
I had several pre WW1 xtal sets. A couple in mahogany cases. My favorite
one was a Etheron set given to me by Grandad. Mom threw them all
out...

Probably would have been worth decent money to a vintage collector by
now.

I've still got four kicking about somewhere. They were unused
replacements for an inverter in a, if I remember correctly, Motorola
motorcycle transceiver.

I agree that they are probably collectors items. ;-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:39:28 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
[...]

I've still got a couple of 2N174 doorknobs. Also some 2N45, 2N68 and a
couple bins of low three digit 'oldies'.

If you have any *really* old epoxy potted types, according to the transistor
museum; most still in existence have been ruined by moisture ingress.

In those days hermetic sealing was still a maturing technology so some NOS
examples won't have survived.

In Europe, the Mullard AF11x family of RF transistors were prone to internal
shorts due ro whisker growth. AFAIK this didn't affect the earlier OC170/171
types.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:39:28 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
[...]

---
You shouldn't have married so young.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:36:25 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:39:28 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
[...]

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:39:28 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
[...]

I'd ask where you get your weird ideas - but no, seriously I'd rather not
know!!!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:39:28 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
[...]

Might be normal for an inbred hick like you, but we don't have those in the
UK.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"John Ferrell" wrote in message
I think when the industry was leaving Germanium Delco elected to not
retool and stay in that business. Probably a wise decision.

Their transistors were once a popular choice for hobby projects CDI
units, there was one even got published in a Ham magazine with the
photo showing the Delco TO3s mounted ontop the box.

It turned up in various other electronics hobby magazines throughout
the English speaking world - possibly even the same author cashing in
as many times as possible.

DTS-423, or something. My dad had built that CDI. Lasted a long time.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:18:36 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

In my school days I used to go scrounging round the factories - one firm
gave me a big bag with loads of "doorknob" transistors.

Unfortunately someone decided I didn't keep my room tidy enough and slung
the lot!

---
You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

I'd ask where you get your weird ideas - but no, seriously I'd rather not
know!!!

---
Then why bring it up?

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:32:47 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Might be normal for an inbred hick like you, but we don't have those in the
UK.

---
Strange, then, that you have imprisonment for up to 14 years as a
penalty for an offense which no one commits.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:32:47 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...
wrote:

You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Might be normal for an inbred hick like you, but we don't have those in
the
UK.

---
Strange, then, that you have imprisonment for up to 14 years as a
penalty for an offense which no one commits.

--
JF

We get a few immigrants from JT's neck of the woods!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 02:06:36 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:18:36 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

In my school days I used to go scrounging round the factories - one firm
gave me a big bag with loads of "doorknob" transistors.

Unfortunately someone decided I didn't keep my room tidy enough and slung
the lot!

---
You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

I'd ask where you get your weird ideas - but no, seriously I'd rather not
know!!!

---
Then why bring it up?

Ian is too ignorant to recognize an insult.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:18:36 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

In my school days I used to go scrounging round the factories - one
firm
gave me a big bag with loads of "doorknob" transistors.

Unfortunately someone decided I didn't keep my room tidy enough and
slung
the lot!

---
You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

I'd ask where you get your weird ideas - but no, seriously I'd rather not
know!!!

---
Then why bring it up?

--
JF

Because I knew that pointing at the deviancy of your bumchum would annoy
you.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:18:36 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

In my school days I used to go scrounging round the factories - one
firm
gave me a big bag with loads of "doorknob" transistors.

Unfortunately someone decided I didn't keep my room tidy enough and
slung
the lot!

---
You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

I'd ask where you get your weird ideas - but no, seriously I'd rather not
know!!!

---
Then why bring it up?

Ian is too ignorant to recognize an insult.

...Jim Thompson

In that case you must be braindead!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:44:36 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:32:47 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...
wrote:

You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Might be normal for an inbred hick like you, but we don't have those in
the
UK.

---
Strange, then, that you have imprisonment for up to 14 years as a
penalty for an offense which no one commits.

--
JF

We get a few immigrants from JT's neck of the woods!

---
Ah, but they wouldn't be into incest, they'd be into buggery and make
a bee-line for your place.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:32:47 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...
wrote:

You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Might be normal for an inbred hick like you, but we don't have those in
the
UK.

---
Strange, then, that you have imprisonment for up to 14 years as a
penalty for an offense which no one commits.

--
JF

We get a few immigrants from JT's neck of the woods!

---
Ah, but they wouldn't be into incest, they'd be into buggery and make
a bee-line for your place.

In my "neck of the woods", if Ian had a clue where that really was,
Scots and Germans settled in WV... they'd hang him from the nearest
tree by his balls... that is, if he has any.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:32:47 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in
message ...
wrote:

You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Might be normal for an inbred hick like you, but we don't have those in
the
UK.

---
Strange, then, that you have imprisonment for up to 14 years as a
penalty for an offense which no one commits.

--
JF

We get a few immigrants from JT's neck of the woods!

---
Ah, but they wouldn't be into incest, they'd be into buggery and make
a bee-line for your place.

In my "neck of the woods", if Ian had a clue where that really was,
Scots and Germans settled in WV

At least now we know which septics wanted to join the Axis in WW2.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:14:06 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:18:36 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

In my school days I used to go scrounging round the factories - one
firm
gave me a big bag with loads of "doorknob" transistors.

Unfortunately someone decided I didn't keep my room tidy enough and
slung
the lot!

---
You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

I'd ask where you get your weird ideas - but no, seriously I'd rather not
know!!!

---
Then why bring it up?

--
JF

Because I knew that pointing at the deviancy of your bumchum would annoy
you.

---
Ah, so it's personal and you're using that anal reference again, to
which you're unduly attracted, which is showing through.

So, your raison d'être is to annoy me?

I can't imagine why, unless you want to suck my dick so badly that you
feel you have to set yourself up as a catcher.

It ain't gonna happen.

As far as Jim's "deviancy" goes, all he did was interpret my statement
in a form which was consistent with one meaning.

---
Seems like you fell for it.

--
JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:15:06 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:18:36 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

In my school days I used to go scrounging round the factories - one
firm
gave me a big bag with loads of "doorknob" transistors.

Unfortunately someone decided I didn't keep my room tidy enough and
slung
the lot!

---
You shouldn't have married so young.

Ian married his Mommy ?:-)

I'd ask where you get your weird ideas - but no, seriously I'd rather not
know!!!

---
Then why bring it up?

Ian is too ignorant to recognize an insult.

...Jim Thompson

In that case you must be braindead!

---
So, what you're saying is that you _can_ recognize when you've been
insulted.

So far, so good.

Then, since you feel you've been insulted, there must be a reason why
you feel the insults were issued.

Can you elaborate, please?

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:26:31 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:32:47 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

If they had left Germany and Scotland in search of a better life, why
on Earth would you believe that they's want to go back?

And "Septics"???

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields wrote:

And "Septics"???

More of his usual excrement fetish.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:15:06 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:18:36 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

But I don't take it too seriously when it comes from slack jawed yokels like
you & JT.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:26:31 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
om...
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:32:47 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

No one said anything about anyone wanting to go back - they just wanted
America to be like Nazi Germany.

A significant % of Americans wanted to back what at the start looked like
the winning side (the axis).

Ending up on the side of right had nothing to do with decent morals - Hitler
made a formal declaration of war against America about a week after the nips
hit Pearl harbour.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:20:03 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
?? Does anyone have any data on this vintage power transistor ?
?
? Possibly Delco's version of the 2N3055 which was ubiquitous
? in the '70's.
? Art

Yes that is what I'd have gone for...

Or the Delco DS503 Germanium output transistor they used in their car
radios. Delco was still mostly Germanium in the '70s.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte121.pdf

Then they were likely to be 2n173 40W TO3 NPN

?-)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:32:47 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:39:28 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Radioman Inscribed thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Baron wrote:

Artemus Inscribed thus:

?
? ? wrote in message
? ...
[...]

Check your history, it should be called the incestuous royal family.

?-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:22:10 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
---
If they had left Germany and Scotland in search of a better life, why
on Earth would you believe that they's want to go back?

No one said anything about anyone wanting to go back - they just wanted
America to be like Nazi Germany.

Oh those dastardly German-Americans like John Pershing, commander of
the American Army in WWI, and Dwight Eisenhower, Supreme Allied
Commander in WWII.

Your ridiculous hate fest is turning you onto a bigot.

A significant % of Americans wanted to back what at the start looked like
the winning side (the axis).

Didn't have a blessed thing to do with what you claim allegedly
"looked like the winning side." Fact is the great majority of
Americans opposed getting involved in yet again another European War,
especially since we hadn't been attacked or even threatened.

Not exactly true - the U-boats had part of their "happy time" off one of
America's coasts, sinking American ships nicely silhouetted against the
great arrays of neon advertising signs, which astonishingly no one knew how
to turn off!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:22:10 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John wrote in message
---
[...]

Well, there is great stupidity all of the time, for the signs there
was either a power switch or fuses. Nobody had the intelligence to even
*think* about those possibilities, much less even *try* to look..
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:22:10 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John wrote in message
---
[...]

Most likely what they "didn't know how to" was ballance the books when the
advertising revenues stopped in response to turning off the neon signs.