Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default LED curves (was "LEDs in parallel" on seb) - LEDEIR.pdf

These curves are for a white LED with nominal and maximum forward
currents of 20 and 30mA, respectively.

--
JF

Attached Files
File Type: pdf LEDEIR.pdf (64.7 KB, 34 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default LED curves (was "LEDs in parallel" on seb) - LEDEIR.pdf - LEDEIR2.pdf

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:39:20 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

These curves are for a white LED with nominal and maximum forward
currents of 20 and 30mA, respectively.

---
"Connect-the-dots" works wonders. :-)

--
JF

Attached Files
File Type: pdf LEDEIR2.pdf (65.2 KB, 31 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" schreef in bericht
news
wrote:

These curves are for a white LED with nominal and maximum forward
currents of 20 and 30mA, respectively.

---
"Connect-the-dots" works wonders. :-)

--
JF

Well, it tells what you and I - and several others - knew and told already.
If one realizes that this curves are typical values that may vary even for
LEDs from the same batch and also depend on temperature he'd have to agree
that constant voltage to drive a LED is bad engineering practice.

petrus bitbyter

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:42:54 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

wrote:

These curves are for a white LED with nominal and maximum forward
currents of 20 and 30mA, respectively.

---
"Connect-the-dots" works wonders. :-)

--
JF

Well, it tells what you and I - and several others - knew and told already.
If one realizes that this curves are typical values that may vary even for
LEDs from the same batch and also depend on temperature he'd have to agree
that constant voltage to drive a LED is bad engineering practice.

petrus bitbyter

"Bad engineering practice" is an interesting term. I think it means "I
don't approve of that."

---
Then you'd approve the use of a constant voltage source to drive an
LED?

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John Fields" schreef in bericht
news On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:39:20 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

These curves are for a white LED with nominal and maximum forward
currents of 20 and 30mA, respectively.

---
"Connect-the-dots" works wonders. :-)

--
JF

Well, it tells what you and I - and several others - knew and told already.
If one realizes that this curves are typical values that may vary even for
LEDs from the same batch and also depend on temperature he'd have to agree
that constant voltage to drive a LED is bad engineering practice.

petrus bitbyter

"Bad engineering practice" is an interesting term. I think it means "I
don't approve of that."

---
Then you'd approve the use of a constant voltage source to drive an
LED?

Approve? I'm not in the approval business.

I might do it. If it was volume production, low cost, and I could
depend on the LEDs to be consistent. Like an LED flashlight, for
example. A small white LED and a couple of alkaline cells is a common
design, and seems to work just fine.

Or if I had some other reason, like wanting to drive an LED really
fast, for example.

"Good engineering practice" is doing what works.

--

John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

These curves are for a white LED with nominal and maximum forward
currents of 20 and 30mA, respectively.
---
"Connect-the-dots" works wonders. :-)

--
JF

Well, it tells what you and I - and several others - knew and told already.
If one realizes that this curves are typical values that may vary even for
LEDs from the same batch and also depend on temperature he'd have to agree
that constant voltage to drive a LED is bad engineering practice.

petrus bitbyter

"Bad engineering practice" is an interesting term. I think it means "I
don't approve of that."

Howsomever, the "constant voltage" scheme is eXtremely (yes, "X"
rated) common way to drive parallel LEDs..three 1.5V cells in series
driving a number of LEDs in parallel (have a light with 24 LEDs driven
that way, NO resistor).