Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

Default Prime Rib

Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

Our new Dacor will only go down to 135°F, but that's medium rare, so I
gave it a shot (leftovers from 14# :-) ...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/Fa.../Prime_Rib.jpg

Amazingly tender. Recipe said that slow cooking plays on enzymes to
make it melt in your mouth.

(To accommodate family members spread over 400 miles we had our
Christmas "Eve" all-family event last night, so they could return home
for their individual family celebrations.)

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah!

We celebrate both, since our family is a true "melting pot" of
ethnicities, religions AND politics (even some Democrats :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Annoy a Liberal...
Suggest That They Use Their Own Money to Fund a Company
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

Our new Dacor will only go down to 135°F, but that's medium rare, so I
gave it a shot (leftovers from 14# :-) ...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/Fa.../Prime_Rib.jpg

Amazingly tender. Recipe said that slow cooking plays on enzymes to
make it melt in your mouth.

(To accommodate family members spread over 400 miles we had our
Christmas "Eve" all-family event last night, so they could return home
for their individual family celebrations.)

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah!

We celebrate both, since our family is a true "melting pot" of
ethnicities, religions AND politics (even some Democrats :-)

...Jim Thompson

I slow cook pork chops on the barbeque at medium to low. Takes about 20
or so minutes, they are done when you see steam coming off the chops.
Tender and juicy.
I'm not one for searing stuff on the grill, but some swear by it.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:51:19 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
[...]

Steaks? I quick sear each side then set to the side off the active
burner to finish... DCS propane grill.

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:21:04 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
wrote:

Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

120°F ? Can't you just leave it outside for a few days? ;-)

Our new Dacor will only go down to 135°F, but that's medium rare, so I
gave it a shot (leftovers from 14# :-) ...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/Fa.../Prime_Rib.jpg

Amazingly tender. Recipe said that slow cooking plays on enzymes to
make it melt in your mouth.

(To accommodate family members spread over 400 miles we had our
Christmas "Eve" all-family event last night, so they could return home
for their individual family celebrations.)

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah!

Same to all.

We celebrate both, since our family is a true "melting pot" of
ethnicities, religions AND politics (even some Democrats :-)

...Jim Thompson

rantI noticed some Christmas Cake at the grocery store. Haven't had
really good Xmas cake since the mom of a friend moved away to a
retirement community- she used to turn it out in virtually industrial
quantities for close friends and family. Unfortunately, upon closer
examination, it was actually "Holiday Fruitcake" and not Christmas
Cake. What's next, lighting of a "Holiday Menora"? /rant ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

120°F ? Can't you just leave it outside for a few days? ;-)

Not in December... it's only going to be 60°F today... it's
Winter-time ;-)

[...]

Granddaughter Allison (deceased son Duane's daughter) is visiting from
Rancho Mirage thru the end of the year, so we've been lighting a
candle each evening.

As for this Happy Holidays crap... there is no holiday in the US
called "Happy", but there is one US official holiday called
"Christmas", made an official US holiday by President Grant.

(And I love Fruitcake, but no one else in the family does :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Nah, that's multicultural, so it's okay.

Merry Christmas! (so there)

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

Phil Hobbs wrote:

Merry Christmas! (so there)

I'll see your 'Merry Christmas' and raise you a 'Blessed Christmas'!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:21:04 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

Our new Dacor will only go down to 135°F, but that's medium rare, so I
gave it a shot (leftovers from 14# :-) ..

Ours only goes down to 170F. I wonder what the conversion factor is.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah!

And the same to you and yours, sir.

We celebrate both, since our family is a true "melting pot" of
ethnicities, religions AND politics (even some Democrats :-)

Jim
Democrat and part-time liberal weenie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

Our new Dacor will only go down to 135°F, but that's medium rare, so I
gave it a shot (leftovers from 14# :-) ...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/Fa.../Prime_Rib.jpg

Amazingly tender. Recipe said that slow cooking plays on enzymes to
make it melt in your mouth.

Sounds like "sous vide".
Heard about this on an NPR program then I saw several hacks and mods on
instructables.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide
http://www.instructables.com/pages/s...-1&q=sous+vide

Merry Christmas!

Wife and I just got back from 8PM Mass where we sang in the choir. Put on
Jean Shepherd's "A Christmas Story" while eating cookies and drinking
Baileys.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:21:04 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson

Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

120°F ? Can't you just leave it outside for a few days? ;-)

That depends on the local climate. If you did this in Minnesota at
this time of year, you'd need to cut it with a saw. ;-)

And, I hear that there are people who actually eat raw meat, but
that could just be scare stories. ;-)

On the ST:TNG ep with the Klingon exchange program, they were having
a dinner with roast turkey. The Klingon guy said, "This bird has been
out in the sun too long."

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 23:35:17 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

Our new Dacor will only go down to 135°F, but that's medium rare, so I
gave it a shot (leftovers from 14# :-) ...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/Fa.../Prime_Rib.jpg

Amazingly tender. Recipe said that slow cooking plays on enzymes to
make it melt in your mouth.

Sounds like "sous vide".
Heard about this on an NPR program then I saw several hacks and mods on
instructables.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide
http://www.instructables.com/pages/s...-1&q=sous+vide

Merry Christmas!

Wife and I just got back from 8PM Mass where we sang in the choir. Put on
Jean Shepherd's "A Christmas Story" while eating cookies and drinking
Baileys.

Baileys! Duh, why didn't I think of that?

This is our Christmas Morning breakfast tradition:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Big_Dutch_Baby_1.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Big_Dutch_Baby_3.jpg

Mo got this recipe from her Italian (go figure) mom. It's a big eggy
butterey puff pastry sort of thing.

I starved myself down to 160 pounds leading up to this week...

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Rich Grise wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:21:04 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson

Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

120°F ? Can't you just leave it outside for a few days? ;-)

That depends on the local climate. If you did this in Minnesota at
this time of year, you'd need to cut it with a saw. ;-)

And, I hear that there are people who actually eat raw meat, but
that could just be scare stories. ;-)

On the ST:TNG ep with the Klingon exchange program, they were having
a dinner with roast turkey. The Klingon guy said, "This bird has been
out in the sun too long."

Cheers!
Rich

...and i thought Prime Rib was that stacked brunette..
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 00:04:31 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:21:04 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson

Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.
120°F ? Can't you just leave it outside for a few days? ;-)

That depends on the local climate. If you did this in Minnesota at
this time of year, you'd need to cut it with a saw. ;-)

And, I hear that there are people who actually eat raw meat, but
that could just be scare stories. ;-)

On the ST:TNG ep with the Klingon exchange program, they were having
a dinner with roast turkey. The Klingon guy said, "This bird has been
out in the sun too long."

Cheers!
Rich

..and i thought Prime Rib was that stacked brunette..

There was such a creature at Motorola, but with silver hair... thus
nicknamed "The Silver Bullet" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 08:52:06 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:21:04 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson

Read an interesting recipe and tried it myself. Recipe called for
roasting prime rib at 120°F for 18 hours.

120°F ? Can't you just leave it outside for a few days? ;-)

That depends on the local climate. If you did this in Minnesota at
this time of year, you'd need to cut it with a saw. ;-)

And, I hear that there are people who actually eat raw meat, but
that could just be scare stories. ;-)

I have done it (raw beef). I like sushi and sashimi as well (raw fish). I
won't do raw pork though.

On the ST:TNG ep with the Klingon exchange program, they were having
a dinner with roast turkey. The Klingon guy said, "This bird has been
out in the sun too long."

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

Martin Riddle wrote:

I slow cook pork chops on the barbeque at medium to low. Takes about
20 or so minutes, they are done when you see steam coming off the
chops. Tender and juicy.
I'm not one for searing stuff on the grill, but some swear by it.

20 minutes is slow?

Merry Christmas!

You too.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:50:22 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:

I slow cook pork chops on the barbeque at medium to low. Takes about
20 or so minutes, they are done when you see steam coming off the
chops. Tender and juicy.
I'm not one for searing stuff on the grill, but some swear by it.

20 minutes is slow?

I usually do 4 minutes per side.

Merry Christmas!

You too.

Me too ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

John Larkin wrote:

Baileys! Duh, why didn't I think of that?

I had hot cider with spice.

This is our Christmas Morning breakfast tradition:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Big_Dutch_Baby_1.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Big_Dutch_Baby_3.jpg

Mo got this recipe from her Italian (go figure) mom. It's a big eggy
butterey puff pastry sort of thing.

The recipe is probably similar to popovers, from the looks of it.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

"John Larkin" wrote in message
Merry Christmas!

Wife and I just got back from 8PM Mass where we sang in the choir. Put on
Jean Shepherd's "A Christmas Story" while eating cookies and drinking
Baileys.

Baileys! Duh, why didn't I think of that?

This is our Christmas Morning breakfast tradition:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Big_Dutch_Baby_1.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Big_Dutch_Baby_3.jpg

Mo got this recipe from her Italian (go figure) mom. It's a big eggy
butterey puff pastry sort of thing.

I starved myself down to 160 pounds leading up to this week...

John

Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that Canoli were
filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross. Now I never miss a chance to
have one.
She got me four seasons worth of "Northern Exposure" which I am thoroughly
enjoying. (VLC Media player and 'Breakaway' audio processor highly
recommended) "Cue the moose!"

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:13:09 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .
Merry Christmas!

Wife and I just got back from 8PM Mass where we sang in the choir. Put on
Jean Shepherd's "A Christmas Story" while eating cookies and drinking
Baileys.

Baileys! Duh, why didn't I think of that?

This is our Christmas Morning breakfast tradition:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Big_Dutch_Baby_1.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Big_Dutch_Baby_3.jpg

Mo got this recipe from her Italian (go figure) mom. It's a big eggy
butterey puff pastry sort of thing.

I starved myself down to 160 pounds leading up to this week...

John

Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that Canoli were
filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross.

Or meat... generally veal.

Now I never miss a chance to
have one.
She got me four seasons worth of "Northern Exposure" which I am thoroughly
enjoying. (VLC Media player and 'Breakaway' audio processor highly
recommended) "Cue the moose!"

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:11:02 -0800, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:13:09 -0500, Oppie wrote:

Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that Canoli were
filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross. Now I never miss a chance to
have one.

Leave the gun?

;-)

Yes ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:13:09 -0500, Oppie wrote:

Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that Canoli were
filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross. Now I never miss a chance to
have one.

Leave the gun?

;-)

Yes ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Speaking of guns, here's a wife examining a gun after her husband
teaches her about gun safety. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ZXJ...eature=related

Mikek
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:13:09 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:
Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that Canoli
were filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross.

Or meat... generally veal.

Did he mean cannelloni?

Then maybe crab:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

The best canoli have a creamy filling that is not too sweet.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Fred Abse wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:13:09 -0500, Oppie wrote:

Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that Canoli
were filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross. Now I never
miss a chance to have one.

Leave the gun?

When Eli Wallach was killed with a canoli in Godfather 3, I was disappointed
nobody said, "Leave the canoli; take the gun."

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 16:47:27 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:13:09 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:
Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that Canoli
were filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross.

Or meat... generally veal.

Did he mean cannelloni?

I always get that mixed up ;-)

Then maybe crab:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

The best canoli have a creamy filling that is not too sweet.

Yep, "cannoli" are basically dessert crepes (note the double "n")

One of our favorite Italian restaurants here, Ruffino's (Ahwatukee),
does fabulous seafood cannelloni... lobster and shrimp!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:13:09 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:
Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that Canoli
were filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross.

Or meat... generally veal.

Did he mean cannelloni?

I always get that mixed up ;-)

Darn Italians- they also have cannellini (white kidney beans).

Then maybe crab:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

The best canoli have a creamy filling that is not too sweet.

Yep, "cannoli" are basically dessert crepes (note the double "n")

One of our favorite Italian restaurants here, Ruffino's (Ahwatukee),
does fabulous seafood cannelloni... lobster and shrimp!

...Jim Thompson

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:
Vickie is also Italian decent. When she first told me that
Canoli were filled with cheese I thought it sounded gross.

Or meat... generally veal.

Did he mean cannelloni?

I always get that mixed up ;-)

Darn Italians- they also have cannellini (white kidney beans).

What gets me is Patagonia, Caledonia, and Catalonia.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Fred Abse wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:32:02 -0500, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

What gets me is Patagonia, Caledonia, and Catalonia.

Not to mention Catatonia.

When you get that you won't know it.

zero, and remove the last word.