Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Very low power dynamo (alternator actually).

"John Fields" wrote in message

If you ever get to it, instead of just mouthing opinion I'd be
interested in learning how the voltage across the gap changed, and
especially interested in learning how you managed to measure the
current in the unconnected wire.

--
JF

With a clamp on ampmeter which is unaffected by the momentum
of the magnetic field and has it's positive battery terminal connected
to earth ground? ;~)
Art

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 19:04:27 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 09:30:29 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 08:34:54 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 07:28:05 -0800, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:06:24 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Well! Alternators _are_ current sources, but not for the reason Larkin
claims... no surprise ;-)

Are you referring to current limiting due to opposing flux cancellation?

No. An alternator is a transformer, just that the primary is
rotating. What do transformers transform? What is the mechanism?

...Jim Thompson

It's a transformer with a lot of leakage inductance.

John

---
By your own admission it's still a transformer.

Since it doesn't have a primary winding, it's technically not a
transformer. Its output looks like that of a transformer with a lot of
leakage inductance.

JT 1
JL 0

What? JT said that a moving magnetic field doesn't induce voltage into
a wire. Then he retracted the statement. He also said that an
alternator is a current source, which is pure nonsense. How does that
give him a point?

You have not said anything intelligent about alternators or
electromagnetics, except the silly "concentration and dilution" thing.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 20:13:10 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:59:35 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

I've KFd the 2 trolls (JF & JT) - I can't stop them attacking whenever I
post a question, but at least I don't have to read it.

Don't worry about missing useful comments they have made about
alternators, because there are none.

John

JF hurls insults while claiming to have answered my question, JT just hurls
insults - he might have once been one of the great pillars of the
electronics industry, but now he's just a bad tempered and bitter old fart.

I've absolutely no fear of missing anything worth reading from those two.

---
A wink is as good as a nod to a dead horse.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:06:24 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Well! Alternators _are_ current sources, but not for the reason Larkin
claims... no surprise ;-)

Are you referring to current limiting due to opposing flux cancellation?

No. An alternator is a transformer, just that the primary is
rotating. What do transformers transform? What is the mechanism?

...Jim Thompson

It's a transformer with a lot of leakage inductance.

John

---
By your own admission it's still a transformer.

Since it doesn't have a primary winding, it's technically not a
transformer.

---
So you've changed your mind?
---

Its output looks like that of a transformer with a lot of
leakage inductance.

JT 1
JL 0

What? JT said that a moving magnetic field doesn't induce voltage into
a wire. Then he retracted the statement. He also said that an
alternator is a current source, which is pure nonsense. How does that
give him a point?

---
The point was for stating that an alternator was a transformer, with
which you agreed.
---

You have not said anything intelligent about alternators or
electromagnetics, except the silly "concentration and dilution" thing.

---
Then, the exception makes it intelligent.

Thanks, John!

BTW, I don't see anything quantitative coming out of your camp, so
you're hardly in a position to be casting aspersions.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:48:32 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 18:56:59 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 09:28:17 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 08:23:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 04:24:47 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 11:45:49 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 07:51:45 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:11:00 -0500, JW wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 06:23:36 -0600 John Fields
wrote in Message id:
m:

BTW, if you swing a magnet past a wire, what's induced in the wire?

Is the wire connected to anything?

Bwahahahahaha! Larkin would opine that there's a voltage end-to-end.
;-)

...Jim Thompson

It's an alternator. A voltage is induced, and the wire/coil has some
impedance.

---
If one were to connect a voltmeter across the otherwise open ends of a
conductor, and that conductor was excited by a varying magnetic field,
the voltmeter would indeed register a varying voltage.

The only way to connect the voltmeter is to use leads. Then you have a
loop. If you keep the leads very close to the wire, as you reduce the
loop area, the voltage goes to zero.

After I posted I realized I'd put my foot in it because, in a way,
that's how semiconductors work... particularly MOS.

Mosfets are magnetic devices?

The underlying cause, however, would be the concentration and dilution
of charge at the ends of the wire.

Indeed.

That concentration and dilution would be caused by the movement of
electrons in the wire, that movement being defined as current.

Yep.

...Jim Thompson

OK: make a 1 meter radius wire ring with a small gap. Push through it
a perpendicular, uniform magnetic field that ramps up at 1 T/second.

What's the voltage across the gap?

More importantly, what's the current in the wire?

JF? JT?

---
JL.

Since it's _you_ who's been taken to task, it behooves you to defend
yourself.

You're very big at telling people what to do, but tiny at doing your
own legwork so, instead of pretending to authority, if you've got a
point to make and you want to make it physically, why not just shut
the **** up, do the work, and report back with findings which
incontrovertibly quash your detractors?

That is, since you proposed the experiment, why don't _you_ make a 1
meter radius wire ring with a small gap, push through it a
perpendicular, uniform magnetic field that ramps up at 1 T/second, and
report back with what happened?

It's impressive how much you and JT don't say about electronics, and
the amazingly wide range of subjects in which you have no interest.

---
From what I've seen so far, JT and I prefer to communicate ideas and
solutions for problems through schematic diagrams and math, rather
than through the use of dodgy, guarded verbiage, which seems to be
your preferred method for avoiding anything which might trip you up
later.
---

If you ever get to it, instead of just mouthing opinion I'd be
interested in learning how the voltage across the gap changed, and
especially interested in learning how you managed to measure the
current in the unconnected wire.

You, not I, said that there would be current in such a wire. Can you
explain how much? "Concentration and dilution" doesn't cut it.

---
Sure it does, in a qualitative sense, and that's all that this
discussion is about, so far.

If you want to take it deeper by getting off of your lazy ass and
doing some experimental work to prove your hypothesis then, by all
means, do it.
---

JT said there would be no voltage, but now seems to have changed his
mind.

---
An honest man admits his errors, so why do you fault him for that?

I think we all know the answer to that one.
---

Either you two never studied electromagnetics, or forgot what you were
taught. But that doesn't stop you from blustering and pretending that
you understand the basics.

---
Blather.

--
JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I've KFd the 2 trolls (JF & JT) - I can't stop them attacking whenever I
post a question, but at least I don't have to read it.

Don't worry about missing useful comments they have made about
alternators, because there are none.

John

JF hurls insults while claiming to have answered my question, JT just hurls
insults

I _did_ answer your question... like a good teacher I posed it in such
a way to make you think. But you didn't. You're incapable.

- he might have once been one of the great pillars of the
electronics industry, but now he's just a bad tempered and bitter old fart.

Yep, Never mind still averaging a new patent every three years, and
two very complex analog/mixed-signal chip designs every year. What do
you have to show for your existence? Or are you still on the dole?

I've absolutely no fear of missing anything worth reading from those two.

I presume that means you'll shut up and go away? Good!

---
A wink is as good as a nod to a dead horse.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in Message id:
[...]

The 2 trolls are not above a bit of mischief.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:11:00 -0500, JW wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 06:23:36 -0600 John Fields
wrote in Message id:
om:

[...]

From what I've seen so far, JT and I prefer to communicate ideas and
[...]

Because he, like you, makes these mistakes because he's more
interested in personal attacks and self-puffery than he is in
discussing electronics. That attitude makes you both far to eager to
"correct" (ie, insult me) even if you have to be factually wrong to do
it, which you usually are.

So, say something new about alternators.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:09:54 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:56:00 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Tinkering with the old Sturmey archer bicycle dynamo, I was wondering
whether it would charge a 1.2Ah SLA any better if the loading was modified.

The generator is rated 6V/3W, but off load at a decent rate of knots it can
produce over a couple of hundred volts.

What I was wondering was whether its possible to get more energy into the
battery by letting the generator output voltage stretch its legs so to speak
and convert the excessive voltage down with a buck converter.

Can anyone advise on the practicality of this please?

Thanks.

Bwahahahahaha! So this was the original post? Bwahahahahaha!

...Jim Thompson

Perhaps Larkin would be happy to address Ian's question, "What I was
wondering was whether its possible to get more energy into the battery
by letting the generator output voltage stretch its legs so to speak
and convert the excessive voltage down with a buck converter"?

I'm in need of another laugh.

On a more serious note, would some young buck (that excludes us
venerable professor-level types :-) care to analyze the problem with
Ian's proposition?

Extra brownie points if you can make Larkin froth incoherent ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:11:00 -0500, JW wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 06:23:36 -0600 John Fields
wrote in Message id:
om:

[...]

But they are really, really not very good at it. Or at the
electronics.

JT went to MIT about 90 years ago, so he must have taken courses in
physics and electromagnetics. I assume he's forgotten it all. JF
probably never unstood any of this stuff can can't be bothered to look
it up. Sad old farts... I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't so
nasty.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Very likely so. It's a simple impedance matching issue. The alternator
was designed to power an incandescent load at roughly constant
current, so will probably generate more that its rated 3 watts into a
higher impedance load, certainly into a conjugate load. A source that
has a loaded output voltage of 6, and an open-circuit voltage in the
hundreds, is not operating at its maximum-power-transfer point/

A transformer+rectifier would probably work, too. What Ian should do
is chuck the alternator into a vise, spin it with a drill motor, and
measure the voltage and impedance at various speeds. That would be
interesting. Of course, extracting more power will require more
mechanical input, ie pedaling harder. It would be interesting to
measure torque, too. All that could be done in an hour or so, and
would be fun.

But don't let me disturb your clucking with electrical theory.

I'm in need of another laugh.

On a more serious note, would some young buck (that excludes us
venerable professor-level types :-)

Of course you exclude yourself. If you ever understood this stuff,
you've clearly forgotten it.

care to analyze the problem with
Ian's proposition?

Extra brownie points if you can make Larkin froth incoherent ;-)

Say something substantive. The only things you have suggested in this
thread so far have been off-topic or flat wrong. Silly old hen.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Well its what I wanted to hear anyway, I might start thinking about a design
for a buck converter to try it out and see what happens, might be possible
to get away with a MC34063 - failing that maybe a discrete component design.

Unfortunately my workshop has been dismantled for refurbishing and most of
the stuff crammed into the shed - so no room to work in there either.

When I tried LTspice I found it a PITA to use - maybe while deprived of my
workshop I should give it another chance.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I love LT Spice. It's not hard to use, and well worth the short
learning curve.

Here, try this:

Version 4
SHEET 1 1400 680
WIRE 480 -160 352 -160
WIRE 688 -160 544 -160
WIRE 352 -80 352 -160
WIRE 464 -80 352 -80
WIRE 688 -80 688 -160
WIRE 688 -80 544 -80
WIRE 560 16 496 16
WIRE 688 16 688 -80
WIRE 688 16 640 16
WIRE 832 16 688 16
WIRE 992 16 880 16
WIRE 1072 16 992 16
WIRE 880 32 880 16
WIRE 1072 32 1072 16
WIRE 832 48 832 16
WIRE 496 64 496 16
WIRE 688 64 688 16
WIRE -448 80 -512 80
WIRE -416 80 -448 80
WIRE -304 80 -336 80
WIRE -192 80 -224 80
WIRE 16 80 -48 80
WIRE 80 80 16 80
WIRE 208 80 160 80
WIRE 240 80 208 80
WIRE 448 80 240 80
WIRE 832 96 800 96
WIRE -48 112 -48 80
WIRE -512 128 -512 80
WIRE -192 128 -192 80
WIRE -96 128 -192 128
WIRE 240 128 240 80
WIRE 352 128 352 -80
WIRE 448 128 352 128
WIRE -288 160 -288 128
WIRE -192 160 -192 128
WIRE 352 176 352 128
WIRE 688 176 688 128
WIRE 800 176 800 96
WIRE 880 176 880 112
WIRE 1072 176 1072 112
WIRE 496 192 496 144
WIRE -240 224 -240 128
WIRE -240 224 -304 224
WIRE 240 224 240 192
WIRE -512 256 -512 208
WIRE -304 256 -304 224
WIRE -192 256 -192 224
WIRE -96 256 -96 176
WIRE -48 256 -48 192
WIRE 240 352 240 304
WIRE 352 352 352 256
WIRE -304 368 -304 336
FLAG -512 256 0
FLAG -192 256 0
FLAG -96 256 0
FLAG -48 256 0
FLAG -288 160 0
FLAG -304 368 0
FLAG -448 80 SINE
FLAG 240 352 0
FLAG 208 80 RC
FLAG 496 192 0
FLAG 688 176 0
FLAG 880 176 0
FLAG 1072 176 0
FLAG 800 176 0
FLAG 352 352 0
FLAG 992 16 OUT
FLAG 16 80 DAC
SYMBOL voltage -512 112 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 0 72 33 Left 2
WINDOW 3 42 84 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value SINE(0 1 5K)
SYMBOL sw -320 80 R270
WINDOW 0 74 13 VRight 2
WINDOW 3 72 71 VRight 2
SYMATTR InstName S1
SYMATTR Value MYSW
SYMBOL res -320 64 R90
WINDOW 0 -45 60 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 -38 60 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R5
SYMATTR Value 10
SYMBOL cap -208 160 R0
SYMATTR InstName C4
SYMATTR Value 1n
SYMBOL e -48 96 R0
WINDOW 0 38 83 Left 2
WINDOW 3 46 121 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName E2
SYMATTR Value 1
SYMBOL voltage -304 240 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 0 -81 57 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -191 166 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(-1 1 0 100n 100n 200n 4u 10000)
SYMBOL res 176 64 R90
WINDOW 0 71 56 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 77 58 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R7
SYMATTR Value 1
SYMBOL cap 224 128 R0
SYMATTR InstName C5
SYMATTR Value 1.59e-6
SYMBOL e 496 48 R0
WINDOW 0 47 80 Left 2
WINDOW 3 24 117 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName E4
SYMATTR Value 100000
SYMBOL res 656 0 R90
WINDOW 0 71 56 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 74 58 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R10
SYMATTR Value 1
SYMBOL cap 672 64 R0
WINDOW 0 42 2 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName C8
SYMATTR Value 1.14e-2
SYMBOL e 880 16 R0
WINDOW 0 52 63 Left 2
WINDOW 3 49 102 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName E5
SYMATTR Value 0.2
SYMBOL res 1056 16 R0
WINDOW 0 60 44 Left 2
WINDOW 3 64 78 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName R11
SYMATTR Value 1K
SYMBOL res 336 160 R0
WINDOW 0 54 42 Left 2
WINDOW 3 50 74 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName R8
SYMATTR Value 1K
SYMBOL res 560 -96 R90
WINDOW 0 73 88 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 47 23 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R9
SYMATTR Value 4K
SYMBOL res 224 208 R0
WINDOW 0 -77 42 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -73 80 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName R12
SYMATTR Value 1µ
SYMBOL cap 544 -176 R90
WINDOW 0 -18 77 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 -44 3 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 1p
TEXT -480 -176 Left 2 !;ac oct 10 1K 1M
TEXT -480 -224 Left 2 !.tran 0 .001 0 1u
TEXT -536 -64 Left 2 !.model MYSW SW(Ron=1 Roff=1G Vt=.5 Vh=-.4)
TEXT -208 320 Left 2 ;Sample/hold at 250 KHz
TEXT -40 8 Left 2 ;1st Order Lowpass 100 KHz
TEXT 424 336 Left 2 ;Opamp GBW = 1.4M G=100K Corner 14 Hz
TEXT -96 -336 Left 2 ;V545 LVDT MODULE
TEXT -160 -280 Left 2 ;DAC/OUTPUT STAGE SIMULATION
TEXT 480 280 Left 2 ;Gain = 5

Install LT Spice.

Copy the above text into a text editor and save as TEST.ASC.

Double-click on TEST.ASC, or drag it onto the LT Spice shortcut.

You should see the schematic.

Click the "running man" icon to run a time-domain simulation. Then use
the mouse/probe to select points to plot. You can drag little boxes
with the mouse to zoom regions of the waveform, or park on the
waveform and read time and voltage.

Right-click on parts to edit their values.

I used a VCVS and an RC here to simulate an opamp.

Just Friday we were talking about how we tend to use "practical" part
values in sims, as if 1 farad caps were hard to get, or 1 ohm
resistors would get too hot, or 1 pF caps would suffer from
parasitics, or megavolt node voltages would arc over or something.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 19:21:21 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

Thanks - might download it tomorrow.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in Message id:
kafhd7lhrv6p13ogcl0lnpe9cljhjc0t7h@4ax. com:

[...]

From what I've seen so far, JT and I prefer to communicate ideas and
[...]

Where you're concerned, "discussing electronics" has far less to with
civil discourse than it has to do with your goal of being the
moderator of everything electronic and having everyone accept you as
their anointed source of infallible wisdom.

That may work with cheeky little cocksuckers like Ian, who haven't yet
been around the block and are willing to kiss your ass to curry favor,
but guess what?

The big boys can see right through your ploy.
---

That attitude makes you both far to eager to
"correct" (ie, insult me) even if you have to be factually wrong to do
it, which you usually are.

---
If you think that correction is tantamount to insult, and that
correction must be factually wrong because it's directed at you, then
you have issues which need to be referred to, and addressed by, a
mental health professional.
---

So, say something new about alternators.

---
Just to give you something to feed on?

I don't think so.

--
JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in Message id:
[...]

From what I've seen so far, JT and I prefer to communicate ideas and
[...]

When you get mad, you get gay.

The big boys can see right through your ploy.

I bet you just *love* "The big boys."

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

So, say something new about alternators.

---
Just to give you something to feed on?

I don't think so.

I'll say something new...

Perhaps Larkin would be happy to address Ian's question, "What I was
wondering was whether its possible to get more energy into the battery
by letting the generator output voltage stretch its legs so to speak
and convert the excessive voltage down with a buck converter"?

How about it, JL? Address the original question with your wisdom.
Dazzle us with your brilliance. We're waiting.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:54:52 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 19:21:21 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

I committed a Great Sin on Friday: I *designed* a circuit by fiddling
with Spice. It's a double-terminated LC filter feeding an opamp driver
diffamp, an ADA4950-1, with an offset generator voltage divider, and
all sorts of entangled loadings. Looking at the algebra, I bailed.
Since I'd probably want to sim it to check any computed (and stocked!)
parts values, why not just Spice it and fiddle?

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/ESM_sig_in.pdf

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

So, say something new about alternators.

---
Just to give you something to feed on?

I don't think so.

I'll say something new...

Perhaps Larkin would be happy to address Ian's question, "What I was
wondering was whether its possible to get more energy into the battery
by letting the generator output voltage stretch its legs so to speak
and convert the excessive voltage down with a buck converter"?

How about it, JL? Address the original question with your wisdom.
Dazzle us with your brilliance. We're waiting.

...Jim Thompson

I have. You can't see it because you've claimed to have killfiled me.

What an idiot.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

So, say something new about alternators.

---
Just to give you something to feed on?

I don't think so.

I'll say something new...

Perhaps Larkin would be happy to address Ian's question, "What I was
wondering was whether its possible to get more energy into the battery
by letting the generator output voltage stretch its legs so to speak
and convert the excessive voltage down with a buck converter"?

How about it, JL? Address the original question with your wisdom.
Dazzle us with your brilliance. We're waiting.

...Jim Thompson

I have. You can't see it because you've claimed to have killfiled me.

More to the point, the trolls have failed on this occasion to prevent me
getting an answer by kicking off a flame war.

KF'ing them probably helped - should've done it sooner.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:54:52 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
. ..
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 19:21:21 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
m...

wrote:

[...]

Having noticed quite a few apps on the LT d/l page, I wondered what
switchercad does?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:16:30 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:54:52 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 19:21:21 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
om...

wrote:

[...]

Switchercad is - I think - just another name for LT Spice.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

So, say something new about alternators.

---
Just to give you something to feed on?

I don't think so.

I'll say something new...

Perhaps Larkin would be happy to address Ian's question, "What I was
wondering was whether its possible to get more energy into the battery
by letting the generator output voltage stretch its legs so to speak
and convert the excessive voltage down with a buck converter"?

How about it, JL? Address the original question with your wisdom.
Dazzle us with your brilliance. We're waiting.

...Jim Thompson

We're still waiting, though it's no surprise... push the question back
to technical details only, and Larkin enters "silent mode" :-)

He'll not be heard of again in regard to this topic... except perhaps
he may toss a few snarky "old hens" or "cluck-clucks" our way.

But he'll have no technical answer, for he has no clue.

What was that "university" he went to in Louisiana? DeVry ?:-) They
ought to pull his "degree".

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:54:52 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
m...
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 19:21:21 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
news:qndnd7593gkmhghcknui03m42ihpi3hvjk@4ax. com...

wrote:

[...]

Aren't you even beginning to be annoyed by the pilot fish who feeds on
your waste and considers you to be his source of chum?

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:54:52 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
om...

wrote:

[...]

What a weird, foul old hen you are.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
m...

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:54:52 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
news:12knd7123kfcrt1ttfdjopp5g4tfh6vcjd@4ax. com...

wrote:

[...]

flattering will get you no where John!

Jamie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

He's still obsessed with excrement, too. He mentions it a lot more
than he mentions electronics. Yuk.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:16:30 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
news:2rqnd75rhlp6opv164golnl7kq6r5uo49v@4ax. com...

wrote:

[...]

Being insulted by such a creepy weirdo somehow seems rather trivial compared
with being isulted by anyone of any conseqence.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Aren't you even beginning to be annoyed by the pilot fish who feeds on
your waste and considers you to be his source of chum?

What a weird, foul old hen you are.

John

flattering will get you no where John!

Jamie

He's still obsessed with excrement, too. He mentions it a lot more
than he mentions electronics. Yuk.

---
If I was obsessed with poop I'd reply to _all_ of your posts but, as
it is, I generally prefer to steer away from the threads you infect
and provide useful solutions for querants with problems.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Aren't you even beginning to be annoyed by the pilot fish who feeds on
your waste and considers you to be his source of chum?

What a weird, foul old hen you are.

John

flattering will get you no where John!

Jamie

He's still obsessed with excrement, too. He mentions it a lot more
than he mentions electronics. Yuk.

---
If I was obsessed with poop I'd reply to _all_ of your posts but, as
it is, I generally prefer to steer away from the threads you infect
and provide useful solutions for querants with problems.

JL always gets confused... he can't tell the difference between a
querent (an inquirer) and queerants (those cretins who populate SF

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

So, say something new about alternators.

---
Just to give you something to feed on?

I don't think so.

I'll say something new...

Perhaps Larkin would be happy to address Ian's question, "What I was
wondering was whether its possible to get more energy into the battery
by letting the generator output voltage stretch its legs so to speak
and convert the excessive voltage down with a buck converter"?

How about it, JL? Address the original question with your wisdom.
Dazzle us with your brilliance. We're waiting.

...Jim Thompson

We're still waiting, though it's no surprise... push the question back
to technical details only, and Larkin enters "silent mode" :-)

---
Indeed.

I can't recall a single instance where he boasts about his circuits
and shows his work, although he's certainly critical about me showing
mine.

Something about that posting the math and working through the problem
is something I shouldn't be doing in order to prove that what I'm
talking about is right, mathematically, while out of the other side of
his mouth he extols the virtues of the inexactness of qualitative
exposition where _his_ "work" is concerned.
---

He'll not be heard of again in regard to this topic... except perhaps
he may toss a few snarky "old hens" or "cluck-clucks" our way.

---
That sure seems to be his wont - name-calling - when he's faced with
having to reply to anything where he has to admit to error or which
makes him feel uncomfortable because he can see it leading to where he
dare not go.
---

But he'll have no technical answer, for he has no clue.

---
Be fair.

John's a smart guy, but considers himself to be above the hoi polloi,
(anyone who isn't Phil Hobbs, whom he knows he can never rise above)
so he must use any subterfuge available in order to make it seem like
those who question his "edicts" are wrong.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:50:26 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Being insulted by such a creepy weirdo somehow seems rather trivial compared
with being isulted by anyone of any conseqence.

---
And yet, instead of ignoring, as one would have done if the insult was
trivial, you chose to respond, in whatever venue.

You're a fraud.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Aren't you even beginning to be annoyed by the pilot fish who feeds on
your waste and considers you to be his source of chum?

What a weird, foul old hen you are.

John

flattering will get you no where John!

Jamie

He's still obsessed with excrement, too. He mentions it a lot more
than he mentions electronics. Yuk.

---
If I was obsessed with poop I'd reply to _all_ of your posts but, as
it is, I generally prefer to steer away from the threads you infect
and provide useful solutions for querants with problems.

OK, address the alternator question.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Being insulted by such a creepy weirdo somehow seems rather trivial compared
with being isulted by anyone of any conseqence.

---
And yet, instead of ignoring, as one would have done if the insult was
trivial, you chose to respond, in whatever venue.

You're a fraud.

I'm trying to sort out who is the pimp and who is the who JL Ian

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I've given JL ample opportunity to answer the TECHNICAL question... he
won't/can't.

John's a smart guy, but considers himself to be above the hoi polloi,
(anyone who isn't Phil Hobbs, whom he knows he can never rise above)
so he must use any subterfuge available in order to make it seem like
those who question his "edicts" are wrong.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Right, I don't boast about circuits. I do like to discuss them.

and shows his work,

How about this? It sort of evolved in some recent SED discussions.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/ESM_power.pdf

and the board is

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/ESM_pcb.gif

I post all sorts of schematics, from goofy concepts to sections of
actual in-production products, like this one. And you mostly whine.

although he's certainly critical about me showing
mine.

Only when you get them wrong.

[...]

"Rise above" is meaningless. Phil and I do different things.

so he must use any subterfuge available in order to make it seem like
those who question his "edicts" are wrong.

Edicts? You talk like I'm plotting to become the Emperor of Usenet.
That's silly.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

You've killfiled me, you incredible moron. Of course you can't see
what I post.

Incredible moron!

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

:

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
m wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Perhaps JT has one of Highly-Evolved Super-Special Kill Filters that only
allow technical stuff though?

Ha! Bet you didn't consider THAT one!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 08:18:22 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

That's more like it!

Keep up the good work.
---

and the board is

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/ESM_pcb.gif

---
That's just boasting; it adds nothing to the discussion.
---

I post all sorts of schematics, from goofy concepts to sections of
actual in-production products, like this one. And you mostly whine.

---
You call it whining because, of course, you try to trivialize any
criticism directed at you.
---

although he's certainly critical about me showing
mine.

Only when you get them wrong.

---
You don't criticize, you gloat.
---

[...]

While it's lacking in your other posts, the deference in your tone
when you communicate with him makes it easy to see that you consider
yourself to be his inferior.
---

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Irony

"Another common use of quotation marks is to indicate or call
attention to ironic or apologetic words:

He shared his "wisdom" with me.
The lunch lady plopped a glob of "food" onto my tray."

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I've given JL ample opportunity to answer the TECHNICAL question... he
won't/can't.

You've killfiled me, you incredible moron. Of course you can't see
what I post.

Incredible moron!

---
Speaking of incredulity, it should be obvious, even to you, that since
he's responding to your posts he's either unfiltered you or is reading
them from unfiltered sources.

--
JF