Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Another diode data sheet challenge

I've got quite a few of these. They look like 1N400x family but are
marked W642G1, with 540 on a second line. I've been using them as '4001s
but they may well be something else. The W symbol has vertical sides, by
the way. It could be a logo.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"mick" wrote in message
eb.com...

I've got quite a few of these. They look like 1N400x family but are
marked W642G1, with 540 on a second line. I've been using them as '4001s
but they may well be something else. The W symbol has vertical sides, by
the way. It could be a logo.

If you check Vf on a DMM diode check, generally speaking the lower the Vf -
the faster the rectifier - then there's the jump to the much lower Vf of SB
rectifiers. If you get a Vf measurement actually anywhere near 0.7V, its
likely to be a zener.

You can check reverse breakdown voltage with a (2 electrolytic) voltage
doubling bridge rectifier fed by a high resistance (about 68k for 230V) and
monitor the slow voltage rise until it stops, with a DMM.

The fully charged electrolytics are of course pretty dangerous - if you just
add a shorting switch to discharge the capacitors, it will blow the contacts
away - put a NTC surge limiter in series with the switch.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:36:05 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

"mick" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

Thanks Ian. Vf is about 0.525 for these. That's why I was using them as
rectifiers. I hadn't thought of doing a reverse breakdown test like that
- nice idea. I will now!

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Filtering everything posted from googlegroups to kill spam.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"mick" wrote in message
b.com...
On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:36:05 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

"mick" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

Sounds about typical for a normal speed rectifier.

555 data sheet for Bill Sloman - 1976 555 data sheet.pdf John Fields Electronic Schematics 0 September 22nd 09 08:53 PM
One Sheet Challenge J T Woodworking 1 August 22nd 07 03:43 PM
data sheet Nick Williams Electronics 0 December 21st 05 02:18 PM
data sheet Nick Williams Electronics 0 December 21st 05 02:12 PM
D7-200GH CRT Data sheet. Steven Swift Electronics Repair 0 December 13th 05 09:37 PM