Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Carbon Filters for Water?

Carbon Filters for Water?

Anyone experienced with what to use to eliminate chlorine?

I'm trying to set up an automatic fill system for my aquarium.

RO requires a place to send waste water, and I have no drain
available, plus they waste an astronomic amount of water.

(I could dump it into a rose garden, but I worry that it would kill
the roses :-)

I only need about 2 gallons/day.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On 16/06/2011 11:59 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Carbon Filters for Water?

Anyone experienced with what to use to eliminate chlorine?

I'm trying to set up an automatic fill system for my aquarium.

RO requires a place to send waste water, and I have no drain
available, plus they waste an astronomic amount of water.

(I could dump it into a rose garden, but I worry that it would kill
the roses :-)

I only need about 2 gallons/day.

...Jim Thompson

I though it was the resin that knocked out the chlorine and the carbon
knocks out the organic compounds plus filters out suspended solids. Can
you use a standard water jug filter? Most claim to remove 80+ percent of
chlorine.

Aquarium water should be great for the garden.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:14:50 +1000, David Eather
wrote:

On 16/06/2011 11:59 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Carbon Filters for Water?

Anyone experienced with what to use to eliminate chlorine?

I'm trying to set up an automatic fill system for my aquarium.

RO requires a place to send waste water, and I have no drain
available, plus they waste an astronomic amount of water.

(I could dump it into a rose garden, but I worry that it would kill
the roses :-)

I only need about 2 gallons/day.

...Jim Thompson

I though it was the resin that knocked out the chlorine and the carbon
knocks out the organic compounds plus filters out suspended solids. Can
you use a standard water jug filter? Most claim to remove 80+ percent of
chlorine.

Aquarium water should be great for the garden.

No. The waste water is the RO waste. The aquarium is salt water,
guaranteed to kill plants ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Large salt water aquarium - I wish I had that problem.

The only thing I can think of is to dump the tap water in a large
holding tank (a small rainwater tank perhaps) and let nature do it's
thing (about 10 days?) to remove the chlorine. If the tank is big enough
then continuous flow is possible.

Either that or use dolomite or calcite - but both of those increase
water hardness.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=4025
--
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Carbon Filters for Water?

Anyone experienced with what to use to eliminate chlorine?

I'm trying to set up an automatic fill system for my aquarium.

RO requires a place to send waste water, and I have no drain
available, plus they waste an astronomic amount of water.

(I could dump it into a rose garden, but I worry that it would kill
the roses :-)

I only need about 2 gallons/day.

...Jim Thompson

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=4025

I already have a 55 gal drum fed by RO in the garage. Carrying
buckets is the issue. I gronked a rotator cuff and my wife is not
tall enough to reach that high with a bucket ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Carbon Filters for Water?

Anyone experienced with what to use to eliminate chlorine?

I'm trying to set up an automatic fill system for my aquarium.

RO requires a place to send waste water, and I have no drain
available, plus they waste an astronomic amount of water.

(I could dump it into a rose garden, but I worry that it would kill
the roses :-)

I only need about 2 gallons/day.

...Jim Thompson

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=4025

I already have a 55 gal drum fed by RO in the garage. Carrying
buckets is the issue. I gronked a rotator cuff and my wife is not
tall enough to reach that high with a bucket ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A piece of plastic tubing, and some gallon bottles? Siphon the
purified water into the bottles, and carry them inside...

Charlie
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

120' round trip per trip :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
Carbon Filters for Water?

Anyone experienced with what to use to eliminate chlorine?

I'm trying to set up an automatic fill system for my aquarium.

RO requires a place to send waste water, and I have no drain
available, plus they waste an astronomic amount of water.

(I could dump it into a rose garden, but I worry that it would kill
the roses :-)

I only need about 2 gallons/day.

...Jim Thompson
--

Yes, activated carbon filters remove chlorine, chloramines,
and VOC's. You may want to look into the carbon filters

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Artemus wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Carbon Filters for Water?

Anyone experienced with what to use to eliminate chlorine?

I'm trying to set up an automatic fill system for my aquarium.

RO requires a place to send waste water, and I have no drain
available, plus they waste an astronomic amount of water.

(I could dump it into a rose garden, but I worry that it would kill
the roses :-)

I only need about 2 gallons/day.

Yes, activated carbon filters remove chlorine, chloramines,
and VOC's. You may want to look into the carbon filters
made to attach to shower heads.

Thompson is obviously an idiot - the aquarium store has those things
up the ying-yang.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Well, you could use the exercise, right???? ;-)

Charlie
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

That's not the issue, though I do have a gronked rotator cuff :-(

The issue is how can the wife do this when I'm out of town.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Carbon Filters for Water?

Anyone experienced with what to use to eliminate chlorine?

I'm trying to set up an automatic fill system for my aquarium.

RO requires a place to send waste water, and I have no drain
available, plus they waste an astronomic amount of water.

(I could dump it into a rose garden, but I worry that it would kill
the roses :-)

I only need about 2 gallons/day.

...Jim Thompson

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...d_display.cfm?

pcatid=4025

I already have a 55 gal drum fed by RO in the garage. Carrying
buckets is the issue. I gronked a rotator cuff and my wife is not
tall enough to reach that high with a bucket ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A piece of plastic tubing, and some gallon bottles? Siphon the
purified water into the bottles, and carry them inside...

Charlie

120' round trip per trip :-(

...Jim Thompson

Well, you could use the exercise, right???? ;-)

Charlie

That's not the issue, though I do have a gronked rotator cuff :-(

The issue is how can the wife do this when I'm out of town.

...Jim Thompson

float switch on aquarium, wires and 1/4" tygon tubing out to a small pump
at your RO water tank, neatly duct taped to the baseboards as a permanent
installation so you can both go next time - after installation of an
automatic feeder also. If the RO water tank is high enough skip the pump
and use a float valve for gravity feed.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Put a tap at the bottom of the RO drum?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

That may be the best solution. Maybe make a "tank car" out of a Red
Ryder Wagon... fill at the drum, pull to the aquarium, and pump into
aquarium ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Activated charcoal/carbon & exhausted Britta water filters. DIY uses anyone ?? clonet UK diy 6 August 11th 10 12:17 AM
OT water filters Why? UK diy 16 September 22nd 09 12:51 PM
2 water filters for 2x the water pressure - idea and advice Jim Rainfordson Home Repair 4 July 7th 08 05:29 PM
Gas Hot Water Heater and Carbon Monoxide Amateur Home Ownership 4 August 11th 05 08:36 PM
Solid Carbon Block water filters Water Filter Home Ownership 0 October 21st 04 10:36 AM