Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Zener Diode Protection - VoltageLimiter_SED.pdf

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 13:23:01 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 08:17:31 -0700 (PDT), john1987
wrote:

Hi,

The input voltage is 5 volts and can go up to 60 volts but it might
get more than that too. I do not know how much but so far the maximum
limit is 60 volts. The load at the output of the DC to DC converter
needs 3.3 volts and 100mA. The DC to DC converter can be configured to
do that.

I need some circuit zener or something that can protect the DC to DC
converter if the voltage exceeds more than 40 volts or to be safe 38
volts. The minimum input to the DC to DC converter to produce 3.3
volts is 4.2 according to data sheet. But I have seen that if the
voltage is 3.7 volts than the output gets very close to 3.3 volts and
my circuit works. The protection circuitry should not let the input
voltage go higher than 38 or 40 volts and DC to DC converter should be
working all times.

Thanks

John

---
He

Version 4
SHEET 1 1268 804
WIRE -688 -256 -784 -256
WIRE -560 -256 -688 -256
WIRE -432 -256 -560 -256
WIRE 16 -256 -432 -256
WIRE 112 -256 16 -256
WIRE 160 -256 112 -256
WIRE 304 -256 256 -256
WIRE 464 -256 304 -256
WIRE 16 -240 16 -256
WIRE 400 -240 320 -240
WIRE -688 -224 -688 -256
WIRE -560 -224 -560 -256
WIRE -432 -224 -432 -256
WIRE 304 -224 304 -256
WIRE 400 -208 400 -240
WIRE 112 -192 112 -256
WIRE 16 -144 16 -176
WIRE 16 -48 16 -80
WIRE 112 -48 112 -112
WIRE 112 -48 16 -48
WIRE 176 -48 176 -208
WIRE 176 -48 112 -48
WIRE 400 0 400 -16
WIRE 400 0 320 0
WIRE 304 48 304 -144
WIRE 304 48 -368 48
WIRE -688 80 -688 -144
WIRE -304 80 -688 80
WIRE -208 80 -304 80
WIRE -128 80 -208 80
WIRE 176 112 176 -48
WIRE 400 112 400 0
WIRE -304 128 -304 80
WIRE -368 144 -368 48
WIRE -336 144 -368 144
WIRE -32 160 -272 160
WIRE 112 160 48 160
WIRE -560 176 -560 -144
WIRE -336 176 -560 176
WIRE 400 304 400 192
WIRE 400 304 320 304
WIRE -128 352 -128 80
WIRE 176 400 176 208
WIRE 176 400 48 400
WIRE 48 432 48 400
WIRE -208 448 -208 80
WIRE 400 448 400 304
WIRE -432 464 -432 -144
WIRE -240 464 -432 464
WIRE -128 480 -128 432
WIRE -128 480 -176 480
WIRE -16 480 -128 480
WIRE -560 496 -560 176
WIRE -240 496 -560 496
WIRE 176 512 176 400
WIRE 304 512 304 48
WIRE -432 528 -432 464
WIRE -784 544 -784 -256
WIRE -688 544 -688 80
WIRE -560 544 -560 496
WIRE -784 672 -784 624
WIRE -688 672 -688 608
WIRE -688 672 -784 672
WIRE -560 672 -560 608
WIRE -560 672 -688 672
WIRE -432 672 -432 608
WIRE -432 672 -560 672
WIRE -304 672 -304 192
WIRE -304 672 -432 672
WIRE -208 672 -208 512
WIRE -208 672 -304 672
WIRE 48 672 48 528
WIRE 48 672 -208 672
WIRE 176 672 176 592
WIRE 176 672 48 672
WIRE 304 672 304 592
WIRE 304 672 176 672
WIRE 400 672 400 512
WIRE 400 672 320 672
WIRE -784 720 -784 672
FLAG -784 720 0
FLAG 464 -256 Vout
SYMBOL voltage -784 528 R0
WINDOW 3 24 104 Invisible 0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 60 0 .005)
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMBOL pmos 256 -208 M270
SYMATTR InstName M1
SYMATTR Value FQB11P06
SYMBOL res -576 -240 R0
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 5k1
SYMBOL References\\LT1009 -560 576 R0
SYMATTR InstName U2
SYMBOL res 288 -240 R0
WINDOW 0 -52 47 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -64 72 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 30.1k
SYMBOL res 288 496 R0
WINDOW 0 -56 37 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -64 71 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R5
SYMATTR Value 2320
SYMBOL zener -672 608 R180
WINDOW 0 -39 31 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -81 3 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName D1
SYMATTR Value DFLZ33
SYMBOL npn 112 112 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q1
SYMATTR Value BC546B
SYMBOL res 96 -208 R0
WINDOW 0 -40 40 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -42 73 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL res -704 -240 R0
SYMATTR InstName R6
SYMATTR Value 1000
SYMBOL Opamps\\LT1007 -304 96 R0
SYMATTR InstName U3
SYMBOL res 160 496 R0
WINDOW 0 -40 47 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -51 78 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R7
SYMATTR Value 1000
SYMBOL npn -16 432 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q3
SYMATTR Value 2N3904
SYMBOL res -448 -240 R0
SYMATTR InstName R9
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL res -448 512 R0
SYMATTR InstName R10
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL Comparators\\LT1716 -208 480 R0
SYMATTR InstName U4
SYMBOL res -144 336 R0
SYMATTR InstName R8
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL res 64 144 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName R11
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL zener 32 -176 R180
WINDOW 0 46 33 Left 0
WINDOW 3 22 -3 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName D2
SYMATTR Value BZX84C12L
SYMBOL zener 32 -80 R180
WINDOW 0 46 31 Left 0
WINDOW 3 26 -10 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName D3
SYMATTR Value BZX84C12L
TEXT -768 696 Left 0 !.tran 0 .01 0 1e-6 startup uic
TEXT 352 480 Left 0 ;STARTUP
TEXT 336 152 Left 0 ;36V SERVO
TEXT 328 -176 Left 0 ;SERIES PASS
TEXT 336 -144 Left 0 ;REGLATOR
TEXT 368 -112 Left 0 ;AND
TEXT 328 -80 Left 0 ;GATE-SOURCE
TEXT 360 -48 Left 0 ;CLAMP

Too complex, see attachment...

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Attached Files
File Type: pdf VoltageLimiter_SED.pdf (70.8 KB, 46 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:20:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Too complex, see attachment...

...Jim Thompson

---
Something's wrong.

With a 5V supply, how can you expect to get 5V out of an emitter
follower?

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 15:09:06 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:20:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Too complex, see attachment...

...Jim Thompson

---
Something's wrong.

With a 5V supply, how can you expect to get 5V out of an emitter
follower?

The OP said his device was guaranteed at 4.2V and seemed pretty good
down to 3.7V ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:20:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Too complex, see attachment...

...Jim Thompson

---
Something's wrong.

With a 5V supply, how can you expect to get 5V out of an emitter
follower?

The OP said his device was guaranteed at 4.2V and seemed pretty good
down to 3.7V ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
The OP doesn't know what the **** he's talking about, and is basing
his 3.7V data on non-guaranteed characteristics of a single device
he's dicking around with.

Even with that, the data for your circuit shows that with 5V out of
the bulk supply he'll get about 2.5V into the switcher, which won't
work, for sure.

With my excellent "P" channel pass device design, , 5V out of the
supply will get him 4.95V into the switcher.

More parts than yours, for sure, but mine works down to the bitter
end.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:20:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Too complex, see attachment...

...Jim Thompson

---
Something's wrong.

With a 5V supply, how can you expect to get 5V out of an emitter
follower?

The OP said his device was guaranteed at 4.2V and seemed pretty good
down to 3.7V ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
The OP doesn't know what the **** he's talking about, and is basing
his 3.7V data on non-guaranteed characteristics of a single device
he's dicking around with.

Even with that, the data for your circuit shows that with 5V out of
the bulk supply he'll get about 2.5V into the switcher, which won't
work, for sure.

With my excellent "P" channel pass device design, , 5V out of the
supply will get him 4.95V into the switcher.

More parts than yours, for sure, but mine works down to the bitter
end.

Of course. I left the fine details of mine as an exercise for the
student ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Zener Diode swapna Electronics Repair 1 November 3rd 08 11:58 PM
Glowing Zener Diode-Bad? JR North Electronics Repair 9 September 29th 05 10:45 PM
Zener Diode for RCA TV robert souder Electronics Repair 3 July 26th 05 03:57 AM
Mitsubishi CTV, zener diode value ? Do Little2 Electronics Repair 2 June 9th 05 04:43 PM