Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default 2N7000 Pin Out??

Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson

Yes, it is correct.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 23 May 2011 19:23:38 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson

Yes, it is correct.

Cheers

Yup, really is:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/2N7000.jpg

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 05/23/2011 03:52 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

My expectations, from browsing many data sheets, is that the pinout of
any three-terminal device is pretty well standardized:

Pin 1: random
Pin 2: random
Pin 3: random

So, maybe the 2N7000 is a little randomer than you thought -- it's still
normal.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 23 May 2011 16:35:57 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 05/23/2011 03:52 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

My expectations, from browsing many data sheets, is that the pinout of
any three-terminal device is pretty well standardized:

Pin 1: random
Pin 2: random
Pin 3: random

Even the pin numbers can be random. I've seen all possible
permutations of 1-2-3 on various SOT23 parts. We use the "Motorola"
convention, and force any parts that we use into it.

So, maybe the 2N7000 is a little randomer than you thought -- it's still
normal.

All you need is a ohmmeter to discover/verify the pinout.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On 05/23/2011 03:52 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

My expectations, from browsing many data sheets, is that the pinout of
any three-terminal device is pretty well standardized:

Pin 1: random
Pin 2: random
Pin 3: random

So, maybe the 2N7000 is a little randomer than you thought -- it's still
normal.

Sno-o-o-ort! I'll measure for the body diode just to make sure ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Martin Riddle wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson

Yes, it is correct.

Cheers

Oh??
For all parts i have seen in D-pak, the substrate, for obvious
reasons, is the center lead and tab.
That means...
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 23 May 2011 22:57:35 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson

Yes, it is correct.

Cheers

Oh??
For all parts i have seen in D-pak, the substrate, for obvious
reasons, is the center lead and tab.
That means...

Gaasfets are nice, because the package is usually the source.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote
in :

Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson

see any of the links below.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...shay/70226.pdf

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ductor/DS01137
8.PDF

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ola/2N7000.pdf
--
Bob Q.
PA is y I've altered my address.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 22:57:35 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson
Yes, it is correct.

Cheers

Oh??
For all parts i have seen in D-pak, the substrate, for obvious
reasons, is the center lead and tab.
That means...

Gaasfets are nice, because the package is usually the source.

John

Now if it was in a D-pak, needed for dissipation purposes, that would
be nice especially in grounded gate configuration..

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Bob Quintal wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote
in :

Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson

see any of the links below.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...shay/70226.pdf

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ductor/DS01137
8.PDF

* Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server, because has been moved.

Please search your information requested at:

www.DatasheetCatalog.com
UNQUOTE

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ola/2N7000.pdf

What is all this garbage of D-pak WRT this part, when it seems that
it NEVER was (and never will be) available in D-pak??
There are a goodly number of other feet / fetsies that are available
in that shoe.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On 05/23/2011 03:52 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

My expectations, from browsing many data sheets, is that the pinout of
any three-terminal device is pretty well standardized:

Pin 1: random
Pin 2: random
Pin 3: random

Even the pin numbers can be random. I've seen all possible
permutations of 1-2-3 on various SOT23 parts. We use the "Motorola"
convention, and force any parts that we use into it.

So, maybe the 2N7000 is a little randomer than you thought -- it's still
normal.

All you need is a ohmmeter to discover/verify the pinout.

What I use is a Steinel continuity checker, it has a 12V keyfob battery & 2
LEDs. Stick the + probe on the drain and the - on source, usually stray
charge will cause enough conduction to make the LED glow, breifly moving
the - probe to gate discharges it then back to source and no light means
good MOSFET, move the positive to the gate to charge it and it conducts
again.

With unknown leadouts its relatively simple to identify the gate as there's
no continuity to either other terminal either way round. Which way round the
body diode is tells you half of what else you need to know.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

A decent meter identifies the body diode by voltage drop, not continuity.

Meter I'm using here is half the price I paid for decent test leads for it

So knowing which two pins hold the body diode unambiguously identify the
three pins for me.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

That is an extremely good and reliable way to destroy the gate...
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Robert Baer wrote:

Bob Quintal wrote:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...shay/70226.pdf

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ductor/DS01137
8.PDF

* Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server, because has been moved.

Look at the link. It was broken across two lines, because it wasn't
posted properly, between

here is the link, pieced back together:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS011378.PDF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:42:15 -0700, Robert Baer
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 22:57:35 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Is this the correct pin out for a 2N7000...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/2N...ak_Pin_Out.pdf

My expectations, from bipolar's, would be, facing the flat, leads
down. left-to-right...

D-G-S

...Jim Thompson
Yes, it is correct.

Cheers

Oh??
For all parts i have seen in D-pak, the substrate, for obvious
reasons, is the center lead and tab.
That means...

Gaasfets are nice, because the package is usually the source.

John

Now if it was in a D-pak, needed for dissipation purposes, that would
be nice especially in grounded gate configuration..

Even nicer grounded-source, which is the way they are usually used.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I've done a lot of playing with 2N7000s with floating gates.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/2N7000.jpg

There are all sorts of fun things you can do with a 2N7000, a battery,
a resistor, and an LED. I've never managed to blow a gate, even using
body charge to tweak the floating gate bias. They seem to be pretty
tough. The gates seem to leak not very many electrons per second.

I've been meaning to test some various mosfets to gate-voltage
destruction. I get the impression they can usually stand a lot more
than the datasheets suggest.

Does a 2N7000 typically have a gate zener?

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
net...
Ian Field wrote:
"John Larkin" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Must be I'm doing it wrong then - I've been testing MOSFETs that way for
nearly 2 decades and not broke any yet.

Theoretically an analogue meter with a 30V high ohms battery is capable of
damaging the gate, which is more often than not rated at +/- 20V.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:49:26 -0700, Robert Baer
wrote:

Bob Quintal wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote
in :

[...]

Probably it's too small a die to make it worth trying to heatsink that
hard.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 26 May 2011 03:39:03 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Robert Baer wrote:

Bob Quintal wrote:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...shay/70226.pdf

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ductor/DS01137
8.PDF

* Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server, because has been moved.

Look at the link. It was broken across two lines, because it wasn't
posted properly, between

here is the link, pieced back together:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS011378.PDF

What surprises me is the number of people posting in an area requiring
some intelligence that cannot recognise simple linewrap or other urls
errors. Wikipedia style valid urls come to mind.

The are a guideline for plaintext urls, but I doubt they're respected
by the various line wrapper clients (user agents) out there.
--
Grant.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
Bob Quintal wrote:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...shay/70226.pdf

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ductor/DS01137
8.PDF

* Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server, because has been moved.

Look at the link. It was broken across two lines, because it wasn't
posted properly, between

here is the link, pieced back together:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS011378.PDF

Thanks; even in this package,the substrate is the middle lead = = drain.
And like i asked before,why the big eM-fah-sis on the D-pak package
whenit is clear that no version of this part gets to play house with the
D-pak?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

About half the time there will be enough stray charge on the gate to make it
difficult to tell between diode & channel conduction - at some point you'll
have to guess the channel polarity and precharge the gate capacitance with
the right polarity to cause channel cutoff.

Its a quicker route to find out which pin doesnt continuity to anywhere,
then figure out which polarity there turns what's between the other 2 pins
into a 1 way street.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 27 May 2011 18:00:45 +0100, "Ian Field" wrote:

"Grant" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

No, because when I 'short' all pins together in my fingers, the gate is
discharged, I've never met a MOSFET turned on during simple metering.

Its a quicker route to find out which pin doesnt continuity to anywhere,
then figure out which polarity there turns what's between the other 2 pins
into a 1 way street.

You do it your way, I do my way -- I'm trust measurement methods I use
because they work reliably, because if I get a funny result, I repeat
until I get a proper result or decide the part is blown. You don't seem
to realise the value of measuring the body diode forward drop voltage,
use a decent DVM with a diode range and there's no ambiguity.

Only time I've been caught out recently is when I tested a three lead
TO220 device and all pins open circuit to each other -- lookup the part
number and it's an IGBT, I have no idea how one tests them! I imagine
there's an argument for turning the gate on with them, since there's
no body diode to discover. How to safely do that in=circuit?

Grant.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 27 May 2011 18:00:45 +0100, "Ian Field" wrote:

"Grant" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

BZZZZAAAP! the GATEway to FETus NONworkus.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

Well if you will insist on continuity testing with mains & a 100W
bulb...........................

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

All you have to do is touch the gate first and PAFF!
ESD-itus!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Serves you right for sprinting 30 laps round a nylon carpet before testing
MOSFETs.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Don't be an ass.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

You (apparently) loads of blown gates - me no blown gates.

Tell me again, who's the ass.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

You sure make a lot of false ASS-u-ME-tions.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 18:12:11 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote
in message

wrote:

[...]

The way you were whining about blown gates it was a reasonable assumption
you'd had your fair share.