Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default Recycling electronic waste.

Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

Most UK council tips are actually contracted out and the contractor has to
sell anything anyone will buy to pay for disposal of the WEEE waste and the
home & garden waste in the compacter skips.

Budgets are unsurprisingly rather tight and WEEE disposal invariably ends up
with the lowest bidder - who most likely exports it to W. Africa.

There is a way you can at least delay your unwanted items entry into the
scrap system; you can get rid of almost anything on freegle or freecycle,
although its good form to indicate if an item is not working such as needs
att'n or spares or repair.

If you want to sell the item there's allways Swapshop.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2011 21:28:46 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

Most UK council tips are actually contracted out and the contractor has to
sell anything anyone will buy to pay for disposal of the WEEE waste and the
home & garden waste in the compacter skips.

Budgets are unsurprisingly rather tight and WEEE disposal invariably ends up
with the lowest bidder - who most likely exports it to W. Africa.

There is a way you can at least delay your unwanted items entry into the
scrap system; you can get rid of almost anything on freegle or freecycle,
although its good form to indicate if an item is not working such as needs
att'n or spares or repair.

If you want to sell the item there's allways Swapshop.

Do you separate your household trash? We have three bins, wheelie
things, for trash, recycling, and compost. But hazardous materials
(batteries, chemicals, paint, CF lamps) aren't supposed to go in any
of those. We save them up and take them to a disposal center.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

I watched that and yet again they failed to mention how this scrap is
reprocessed.
Plastic cases if of one plastic and the right sort can be recycled.
Plastic insulation stripped off if large electical cable , but ribbon cables
etc mechanically stripped for the copper in the UK?
aluminium iron , steel and copper wire yes.
but who processes the pcb boards mechanically/chemically in this country to
extract the solder?as far as I know all the boards get aggregated and sent
in empty containers (dirt cheap as going in the now normal reverse
direction) and burnt in heaps in India mainly.
What happens to all that CRT glass ?
The rest is processed sand and hard plastic

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

At the flats we have general refuse bins + glass, paper & cans.

Points of sale have battery bins for the general gadget type batteries, lead
acid have to be taken to the council refuse yard.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

No they didn't - they showed an example legitimate recycling firm that
shreds everything and sends the fragments down a conveyor belt for casual
labourers to pick bits out.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

How do we know it is legitimate if the next stage in the process is not
divulged. Where did the CRT lead-loaded glass go to from there , where did
the bits of circuit board go to ?
Were TO3 devices or whatever has specifically dangerous contents , shredded
or removed prior to shredding?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair N_Cook wrote:
Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

I'd love to hear about the "dangerous" stuff in a TO3 can.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

Beryllium oxide.................sometimes.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

haha.

sounds scary. I better get the hazmat team to throw away my 1970s stereos.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

My town had an interesting take on recycling - the take it or leave it shed.
Located near the entrance to the town landfill, this is an alternative to
the big box previously used for disposing of electronic waste.
http://cityofwhiteplains.com/dataima...nd_Opening.pdf
The 'shed' is little more than a fancy façade.

I was dropping off some yard debris a few weeks ago, before the shed
officially opened. Saw some nice Harmon-Kardon speakers in the recycling
trailer. Was attempting to liberate them when the supervisor threatened to
call the cops if I took anything... go figure.

Speaking of cops (and waste), my esteem for them took a big hit last week.
City has a 'pooper scooper' law where you must pick up after your pets lest
you get a $125 fine. I was out walking my Cocker Spaniels when I saw a guy
on the next block not pick up after his Labrador. After having several
folks blame me for not picking up (I always carry bags and use them), got
angry and called the cops. Didn't expect that they would take my word of
descriptions and house they went into but figured that at least they would
issue a warning. No such luck. If the officer doesn't witless the offense,
nothing happens. Finally told the cop on the phone to bugger off (in as many
words).

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
"Ian Field" wrote in message
[...]

There's one bloke walks (and empties) his dog a way down from my flat - he's
trained the dog to trot across the road and dump on the opposite verge then
cross back again before heading home.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Oppie" wrote in message

Speaking of cops (and waste), my esteem for them took a big hit last
week. City has a 'pooper scooper' law where you must pick up after your
pets lest you get a $125 fine. I was out walking my Cocker Spaniels when
I saw a guy on the next block not pick up after his Labrador.

There's one bloke walks (and empties) his dog a way down from my flat -
he's trained the dog to trot across the road and dump on the opposite
verge then cross back again before heading home.

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:
"Ian Field" wrote in message

Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

My town had an interesting take on recycling - the take it or leave it
shed.
Located near the entrance to the town landfill, this is an alternative
to the big box previously used for disposing of electronic waste.
http://cityofwhiteplains.com/dataima...nd_Opening.pdf

The 'shed' is little more than a fancy façade.

Thanks - good information for me. I've used the twice-yearly
recycling at Playland. TILI will make it way better for getting
rid of old electronics - and scrounging. :-)

Ed
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Rich Grise wrote:

Ian Field wrote:
"Oppie" wrote in message

Speaking of cops (and waste), my esteem for them took a big hit last
week. City has a 'pooper scooper' law where you must pick up after your
pets lest you get a $125 fine. I was out walking my Cocker Spaniels when
I saw a guy on the next block not pick up after his Labrador.

There's one bloke walks (and empties) his dog a way down from my flat -
he's trained the dog to trot across the road and dump on the opposite
verge then cross back again before heading home.

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

So much for your BS Libertianism. Plus, it would land your sorry ass
in jail.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

So much for your BS Libertianism. Plus, it would land your sorry ass
in jail.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who don't believe a man has a
right to protect his home.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Rich Grise wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

So much for your BS Libertianism. Plus, it would land your sorry ass
in jail.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who don't believe a man has a
right to protect his home.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who have used so many
drugs that you can't remember anything. In the past you've accused me
of being gun happy. How is a dog taking a **** in your yard a threat,
unless you are a grade A paranoid freak?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

So much for your BS Libertianism. Plus, it would land your sorry ass
in jail.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who don't believe a man has a
right to protect his home.

Its usually a couple of hundred yards down the road from my home.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"ehsjr" wrote in message
Oppie wrote:
"Ian Field" wrote in message

Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

My town had an interesting take on recycling - the take it or leave it
shed.
Located near the entrance to the town landfill, this is an alternative to
the big box previously used for disposing of electronic waste.
http://cityofwhiteplains.com/dataima...nd_Opening.pdf
The 'shed' is little more than a fancy façade.

Thanks - good information for me. I've used the twice-yearly
recycling at Playland. TILI will make it way better for getting
rid of old electronics - and scrounging. :-)

Ed

For those out of the area (Ed lives a few miles from me), that was the
bi-annual county cleanup days which used to be held at the county owned
Playland amusement park.
http://environment.westchestergov.co...recycling-days

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

So much for your BS Libertianism. Plus, it would land your sorry
ass
in jail.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who don't believe a man has a
right to protect his home.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who have used so many
drugs that you can't remember anything. In the past you've accused me
of being gun happy.

Speaking of "can't remember anything," please show me ONE instance where
I've called you "gun happy." And please tell me, what part of your
apparently addled mind construes that to be an "accus[ation}."

You're like Sloman - you hate me because even when I'm drunk, I'm still
smarter than you, and since you have no logical refutation, you jump to
ad hominem.

And, actually, I'm "gun happy," in that I believe in The Right to Keep and
Bear Arms, as guaranteed by article 2 of the Bill of Rights.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

So much for your BS Libertianism. Plus, it would land your sorry ass
in jail.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who don't believe a man has a
right to protect his home.

Its usually a couple of hundred yards down the road from my home.

Oh, sorry. In that case it's not really your call. If it was crapping on
_your_ yard, you have a God-given right to make it stop by whatever means
necessary.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

The right to bare arms - wear a T-shirt.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

So much for your BS Libertianism. Plus, it would land your sorry
ass
in jail.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who don't believe a man has
right to protect his home.

Its usually a couple of hundred yards down the road from my home.

Oh, sorry. In that case it's not really your call. If it was crapping on
_your_ yard, you have a God-given right to make it stop by whatever means
necessary.

Only if I made sure it died on my garden - and I don't have one.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Rich Grise wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Yawn. If you are so damn smart, why are you so useless that you
have to be a @#$%^& bum?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

How about the right to arm bears?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ian Field wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Don't think we've got any bears.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message

And, actually, I'm "gun happy," in that I believe in The Right to Keep
and Bear Arms, as guaranteed by article 2 of the Bill of Rights.

The right to bare arms - wear a T-shirt.

I wonder if Ex-Gov. Palin supports the right to arm bears? ;-)

Oh, and how many people are aware of the fact that "bear" means "carry?"

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Then you didn't arm them in time.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

So much for your BS Libertianism. Plus, it would land your sorry
ass
in jail.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you're one of the ones who don't believe a man has
right to protect his home.

Its usually a couple of hundred yards down the road from my home.

Oh, sorry. In that case it's not really your call. If it was crapping on
_your_ yard, you have a God-given right to make it stop by whatever means
necessary.

Only if I made sure it died on my garden - and I don't have one.

We used to use a BB gun; it doesn't take many stings for them to get
the message.

And, of course, there's the really bizarre idea of actually talking to
the owner, asking, "When you let your dog crap on my yard, would you
please be so kind as to pick up after it?"

Then, if he continues to violate, you can use the BB gun on _him_! :-

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Ian Field wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

We've lost most of our armed guerillas too.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message

And, actually, I'm "gun happy," in that I believe in The Right to Keep
and Bear Arms, as guaranteed by article 2 of the Bill of Rights.

The right to bare arms - wear a T-shirt.

I wonder if Ex-Gov. Palin supports the right to arm bears? ;-)

There were some jokes about shot beavers when I posted a photoshop of her
with tits hanging down to her waist.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 5/19/2011 11:58 AM, Ian Field wrote:
"Rich wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

The right to keep and arm bears?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Rich Grise wrote:
Ian Field wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message

Ian Field wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

If you aim a bb gun at the dog or owner, you're guaranteed to create
animosity. Wouldn't it be better to speak to the owner first and
maybe avoid both the animosity and the dog crap on your property?

If you're not willing to risk talking to the owner there's another
simple answer to avoid the insane violence you're recommending:
turn the water sprinkler on when you see the dog & owner coming
toward your yard. If you're willing to lie in wait with a bb gun
to shoot the dog/owner during the act, you ought to be willing to
lie in wait to turn on the water to prevent the act. There are
no repercussions for watering your lawn; there are many potential
unfavorable repercussions for shooting the dog or owner with the
bb gun.

Ed

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"ehsjr" wrote in message

If you aim a bb gun at the dog or owner, you're guaranteed to create
animosity. Wouldn't it be better to speak to the owner first and
maybe avoid both the animosity and the dog crap on your property?

If you're not willing to risk talking to the owner there's another
simple answer to avoid the insane violence you're recommending:
turn the water sprinkler on when you see the dog & owner coming
toward your yard. If you're willing to lie in wait with a bb gun
to shoot the dog/owner during the act, you ought to be willing to
lie in wait to turn on the water to prevent the act. There are
no repercussions for watering your lawn; there are many potential
unfavorable repercussions for shooting the dog or owner with the
bb gun.

Ed

I always carry plastic newspaper bags when I walk my three cocker spaniels.
I have suspected several folks of not picking up after their dogs and tend
to ask, "do you have a pickup bag with you?" Answer is frequently either
silence or No. I offer a spare bag.
Problem is that some folks are just arrogant and feel that either they
can't be bothered, law doesn't apply to them or are sickened by the
thought... Either way, if the police are not about to issue warnings, they
might as well take down the signs listing a $125 fine for non-compliance.
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
"ehsjr" wrote in message

[...]

In the UK I think it comes under local by-laws or somesuch and is enforced
by the local council.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 May 2011 09:32:59 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

"ehsjr" wrote in message

[...]

They will if they see it but issuing 'warnings' on simply someone
else's word creates more problems than it's worth.

In the UK its enforced by the local town council - once its reported they
gather photographic evidence to establish a pattern then set up surveilance
cameras to catch the culprit.

Its not in any way a trivial matter - dog**** can contain some pretty nasty
diseases, and when people step in it the mess can be walked indoors and onto
carpets where small children play.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 May 2011 16:09:00 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

. ..

"ehsjr" wrote in message

[...]

Impressive. One can only wonder what toys come out should someone
report a theft.

Policemen usually.

Its not in any way a trivial matter - dog**** can contain some pretty
nasty
diseases, and when people step in it the mess can be walked indoors and
onto
carpets where small children play.

Yeah, it's a bloody miracle any of us survived 'the olden days'.

Most people did - but a few went blind because of worms in dog**** walked
onto the carpet.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ehsjr wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

And, of course, there's the really bizarre idea of actually talking to
the owner, asking, "When you let your dog crap on my yard, would you
please be so kind as to pick up after it?"

If you aim a bb gun at the dog or owner, you're guaranteed to create
animosity. Wouldn't it be better to speak to the owner first and
maybe avoid both the animosity and the dog crap on your property?

Uh, yeah - I just said that. Please see above.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:
Problem is that some folks are just arrogant and feel that either they
can't be bothered, law doesn't apply to them or are sickened by the
thought...

They're liberals.

Cheers!
Rich