Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Relay Bounce

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 05/17/2011 12:53 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

Only if your circuit depends on them not bouncing.

I don't know for sure. But I would not only not be surprised if it
happened, I would not be surprised if it _didn't_ happen with one brand
of relay, and _did_ with another -- so even if you have a dozen on your
bench that don't bounce, I wouldn't count on all relays not bouncing.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 17 May 2011 12:53:00 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson

They can do. It depends on the relay construction and whether you are
talking about normally open or normally closed contacts. Solve the bounce
on closing though, and you may have fixed both instances! Quite often
mechanical switches are worse than relays.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson

---
Yes.

That's just as well... easier to model ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson

---
Yes.

That's just as well... easier to model ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
Indeed, and intrinsically safer, since assuming that there will be
bounce on break forces the designer to account and compensate for it
whether it's there or not.

Win-win, yes?

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson
---
Yes.

That's just as well... easier to model ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
Indeed, and intrinsically safer, since assuming that there will be
bounce on break forces the designer to account and compensate for it
whether it's there or not.

Win-win, yes?

You bet! I'm of the Greek School... why use a 2" x 4" when you have a
2" x 6" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
Except for those parts which are the same ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson
---
Yes.

That's just as well... easier to model ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
Indeed, and intrinsically safer, since assuming that there will be
bounce on break forces the designer to account and compensate for it
whether it's there or not.

Win-win, yes?

You bet! I'm of the Greek School... why use a 2" x 4" when you have a
2" x 6" ;-)

Real men use at least a 2"x12", and prefer pressure treated.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson
---
Yes.

That's just as well... easier to model ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
Indeed, and intrinsically safer, since assuming that there will be
bounce on break forces the designer to account and compensate for it
whether it's there or not.

Win-win, yes?

You bet! I'm of the Greek School... why use a 2" x 4" when you have a
2" x 6" ;-)

Real men use at least a 2"x12", and prefer pressure treated.

---
Nonsense.

Real men use what's appropriate.

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson

Yes, but nothing at all like the magnitude and duration of
the bounce on closing. In general, you worry more about
arcing on break and bouncing on make. For example, if you
put an RC snubber across the contacts to minimize arcing, the
current that was flowing through them keeps flowing when the
contacts open - through the snubber. Thus the rest of the
circuit is "unaware" that the contacts have opened, and will
also be unaware if the contacts re-close on a bounce. The
contacts "appear" to be closed during that bounce.

Ed

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson

All relays i know of are made in such a way that guarantees there is
no bounce on opening.
They were not designed to not bounce; it is the design that prevents
bouncing on opening.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Well, if you can no longer swing a 2"x12", use whatever you can still
lift. ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Real men use at least a 2"x12", and prefer pressure treated.

....and then burn the scraps (I love the smell of copper arsenate in the
morning - NOT)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
net...
All relays i know of are made in such a way that guarantees there is no
bounce on opening.
They were not designed to not bounce; it is the design that prevents
bouncing on opening.

Are Mercury wetted contacts still used? That was one way to keep low energy
(non - arcing) contacts from bouncing.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

You bet! I'm of the Greek School... why use a 2" x 4" when you have a
2" x 6" ;-)

Then you should use a 2" x 3.236"

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Relays bounce when you close a contact. If you have a situation where this
will cause a problem, put a capacitor across the contacts or buy a mercury
wetted relay for really sensitive situations.

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Shaun wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson
James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | |
Voice480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

Relays bounce when you close a contact. If you have a situation
where this will cause a problem, put a capacitor across the contacts
or buy a mercury wetted relay for really sensitive situations.

Shaun

I don't think they bounce when opening, but for sure, the arc is there,
especially with reactive loads.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:12:03 -0500, "Dave M" wrote:

Shaun wrote:
[...]

Some things are better measured? Because if there's an arc, there's
something more than a simple dry contact opening going on.

Grant.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

?Shaun wrote:
?? "Jim Thompson" wrote in message
?? ...
??
?? As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
?? with a dumb question...
??
?? Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?
??
?? ...Jim Thompson
??? James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
??? Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
??? Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
??? Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | |
??? Voice480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
??? E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |
??
?? I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
??
?
? I don't think they bounce when opening, but for sure, the arc is there,
?especially with reactive loads.

Some things are better measured? Because if there's an arc, there's
something more than a simple dry contact opening going on.

Yeah. Current flow.

Key bounce problem n cook Electronics Repair 7 May 27th 07 08:01 AM
How to locate the distributors of relay, relay socket, and switches? [email protected] Electronics 3 May 21st 07 02:18 AM
How to locate the distributors of relay, relay socket, and switches? [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 10th 07 06:50 AM
de-bounce Henry Electronics 10 January 29th 06 11:47 PM
More HELP with relay bounce needed [email protected] Electronics 1 July 14th 05 01:50 PM