Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Nickel cadmium batteries & RoHS.

Everyone seems to have stopped selling most types of NiCD.

I thought like lead acid batteries they were exempt.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
Everyone seems to have stopped selling most types of NiCD.

I thought like lead acid batteries they were exempt.

RoHS never covered batteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_Directive

My guess is that the eneloop batteries are far superior to the NICD types
that its not economical to produce them any more. I'm sure the eneloops will
work as replacements.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:48:18 -0400, "Martin Riddle" wrote:

"Ian Field" wrote in message
Everyone seems to have stopped selling most types of NiCD.

I thought like lead acid batteries they were exempt.

RoHS never covered batteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_Directive

My guess is that the eneloop batteries are far superior to the NICD types
that its not economical to produce them any more. I'm sure the eneloops will
work as replacements.

Not if the charging circuit runs a 5% overcharge that NiCds tolerated, but
the newer NiMHs don't.

Grant.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message
Everyone seems to have stopped selling most types of NiCD.

I thought like lead acid batteries they were exempt.

RoHS never covered batteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_Directive

My guess is that the eneloop batteries are far superior to the NICD types
that its not economical to produce them any more. I'm sure the eneloops
will work as replacements.

There are applications where NiMh won't work.

The NiCds in my shaver gave up and I tried replacing them with NiMh cells,
just running on the bench the charge lasted about 2.5x what the user manual
said for the original batteries - but under load of actually shaving the
batteries got pretty warm, indicating that not all the rated 2400mAh was
ending up in the motor.

I was getting about 5 shaves per charge with NiMh - new NiCd give somewhere
between 15 & 20 shaves.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:

There are applications where NiMh won't work.

Like, any.

The NiCds in my shaver gave up and I tried replacing them with NiMh cells,
just running on the bench the charge lasted about 2.5x what the user
manual said for the original batteries - but under load of actually
shaving the batteries got pretty warm, indicating that not all the rated
2400mAh was ending up in the motor.

I was getting about 5 shaves per charge with NiMh - new NiCd give
somewhere between 15 & 20 shaves.

FWIW, I'll never ever waste my money on NiMH's again. Oh, at first, they're
the bee's knees, but after only a few months of use, their shelf life and
usable charge deteriorate to a matter of a few seconds.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

There are applications where NiMh won't work.

Like, any.

The NiCds in my shaver gave up and I tried replacing them with NiMh
cells,
just running on the bench the charge lasted about 2.5x what the user
manual said for the original batteries - but under load of actually
shaving the batteries got pretty warm, indicating that not all the rated
2400mAh was ending up in the motor.

I was getting about 5 shaves per charge with NiMh - new NiCd give
somewhere between 15 & 20 shaves.

FWIW, I'll never ever waste my money on NiMH's again. Oh, at first,
they're
the bee's knees, but after only a few months of use, their shelf life and
usable charge deteriorate to a matter of a few seconds.

Having found a couple of good NiCds for the shaver, the foil split.

The spare shaver I bought and never used for about 3 years uses NiMh and
didn't hold a charge the next time I plugged the charger in the batteries
got hot.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[...]

You need to buy an American product..... with out batteries

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

flipper wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:57:15 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Ian Field wrote:
There are applications where NiMh won't work.

Like, any.

The NiCds in my shaver gave up and I tried replacing them with NiMh cells,
just running on the bench the charge lasted about 2.5x what the user
manual said for the original batteries - but under load of actually
shaving the batteries got pretty warm, indicating that not all the rated
2400mAh was ending up in the motor.

I was getting about 5 shaves per charge with NiMh - new NiCd give
somewhere between 15 & 20 shaves.

FWIW, I'll never ever waste my money on NiMH's again. Oh, at first, they're
the bee's knees, but after only a few months of use, their shelf life and
usable charge deteriorate to a matter of a few seconds.

Thanks,
Rich

I guess you won't be using a cell phone, or just about any other
rechargeable device, then because they all use NiMH these days.

Try the Energizer Lithium 1.5V batteries; Mouser 525-L91BP-2 - size
AA at about $7 per pair (cheaper than in the store).
2900maH at 1.5V, no muss no cuss.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
Everyone seems to have stopped selling most types of NiCD.

I thought like lead acid batteries they were exempt.

RoHS never covered batteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_Directive

My guess is that the eneloop batteries are far superior to the NICD types
that its not economical to produce them any more. I'm sure the eneloops
will work as replacements.

There are applications where NiMh won't work.

The NiCds in my shaver gave up and I tried replacing them with NiMh cells,
just running on the bench the charge lasted about 2.5x what the user manual
said for the original batteries - but under load of actually shaving the
batteries got pretty warm, indicating that not all the rated 2400mAh was
ending up in the motor.

I was getting about 5 shaves per charge with NiMh - new NiCd give somewhere
between 15 & 20 shaves.

Suggests that they are being operated at a 2 or 3C discharge rate.
NiMhs normally run without exotherm at 1C. How were you bench-testing?

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
[...]

Bench testing was just running with the foil & cutter fitted but not using
it to shave with.

I put a drop of Slick50 on the cutter to reduce wear, the viscosity produces
slightly more resistance than running it dry.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[...]

Apparently it was German - so much for the famous German engineering eh?!

Some parts of the shaver were glued together so I wrecked it getting the
batteries out, so I decided "free NiMh AAA charger" with a 2x AAA holder
soldered to the pcb the batteries I tried charging got hot - about 2.11V
each!

It looks like a buck controller with a PNP pass transistor (most likely S/C)
driven by some obscure microcontroller.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:49:53 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[...]

I installed a mirror in the shower, and use those plastic throw-away
Bic razors. Warm, cozy, reliable way to shave.

Another tip: shave less often!

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[...]

I shaved a couple of years ago, but admittedly, I've trimmed a couple of
times since then, with good ol' reliable alkalines in my trimmer. Still
going after over two years! :-)

(after shaving, I saw my dual dewlaps and my jowls and decided to let my
face hair grow back.)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

news
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[...]

I've got a Gillette M3power for special occasions, there's also 2 other
types of (no battery) gillette shavers in the old mug with no handle when I
CBA buying blade cartridges for them.

If I get really desperate I've got an old Philips rotary wired to a mini non
standard XT PSU, when I let my hair grow long it ends up in the cutters and
tangled round the drive pins, so today I did a DIY skinhead job.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

flipper wrote:

I guess you won't be using a cell phone, or just about any other
rechargeable device, then because they all use NiMH these days.

My current phone, a Samsung TracFone(r), uses a Samsung AB463446BA 800
mAh battery, 17.1G weight[1], 1.94" L X 1.34" W x .19" T; FWIW, I've always
trusted Korean stuff.

I believe it's probably a more sane technology cell than NiMH, but
I'm not about to cut it up and try to find out. So far, it's lasted longer
than any NiMH I've ever wasted my money on.

Thanks,
Rich
[1] sorry for using grams weight, but I think that's an accepted convention.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
[...]

Yikes! The local Rite-Aid(r) has store-brand alkalines for like five
bucks a two-pack, and they outlast the "copper-top" ones by almost 2 to
1.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
[...]

That is possible, The Copper tops don't fair too well at higher loads.
http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Rich Grise wrote:
Ian Field wrote:
[...]

Well, these lithiums seem to last forever, especially for my camera
where it "demands" full a 3V for the flash.
I am not a fan of battery hoppers...
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[...]

Are Remington shavers American?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
[...]

The ONLY American shavers are the Americans that are shaving...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
net...

"Ian Field" wrote in message
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
[...]

Well it does have "made in China" stamped on the inside of the flip out
trimmer, but I thought Remington was an American firm.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
KG KG is offline

"Ian Field" wrote in message
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
[...]

That's true, it appears the only thing made in the U.S. now is the labels so they can say made in
the U.S.
*****************
Thank You

A true compassionate liberal Anarchist

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 16:48:06 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .

"Ian Field" wrote in message
[...]

Would be usefull noting the current drain. NiMh usually get hotter in
charging, rather than discharge, in normal service.

There are NiMh varieties constructed specifically for higher discharge
rates - not related to AH capacity. Could be a sales gimmick, but it
would obviously have specific applications, as you have noted.

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
[...]

Yes, it may well be an American firm, but as the saying goes, what
does that have to do with the price of rice in China?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:
[...]

The build quality is not as good as usual from China - the edges of the foil
strips are crumpled where they attach to the shaving head.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"legg" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 16:48:06 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

. ..

"Ian Field" wrote in message
[...]

Freecycle message board saved the day - its a recycling group you can post
an offered for things you want rid of or you can post a wanted, I posted a
wanted for a shaver expecting to get something that needed repair, instead I
got an almost new Braun 1775 (uses NiCd as standard).

Left the cutter head buzzing away in the ultrasonic cleaner all day while
the shaver charged, left the parts to dry overnight while the shaver charged
some more and by morning it was all systems go.