Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Electronics Cookbook(?)

I'm looking for a copy of a book I used to have back in the 1980s. It
was orange, paperback, maybe 6x8 x 1/2 inches. I think the title was
just Electronics Cookbook. I don't remember who wrote it, maybe Forest
Nims.

It had basic circuits: amplifiers, oscillators, etc. of different types.
There were 2 pages or so devoted to each circuit, the advantages,
disadvantages, how to optimize for different parameters, typical input
and output impedances. It was mostly linear/analog circuitry.

If I could find out the exact title and author's name, maybe an ISBN
number, I could look on eBay or Amazon or somwhere.

Anyone remember what the output impedance of a grounded-gate FET preamp
is? This book would have it.

Thanks,

Alan AB1JX
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Alan Corey wrote:

I'm looking for a copy of a book I used to have back in the 1980s. It
was orange, paperback, maybe 6x8 x 1/2 inches. I think the title was
just Electronics Cookbook. I don't remember who wrote it, maybe Forest
Nims.

Forrest M. Mims III wrote a series of basic electronics paperback
books for Radio Shack.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aforrest+mims&keywords =forrest+mims&ie=UTF8&qid=1297170508&ajr=6

It had basic circuits: amplifiers, oscillators, etc. of different types.
There were 2 pages or so devoted to each circuit, the advantages,
disadvantages, how to optimize for different parameters, typical input
and output impedances. It was mostly linear/analog circuitry.

If I could find out the exact title and author's name, maybe an ISBN
number, I could look on eBay or Amazon or somwhere.

Anyone remember what the output impedance of a grounded-gate FET preamp
is? This book would have it.

Thanks,

Alan AB1JX

Teflon coated.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Alan Corey wrote:

I'm looking for a copy of a book I used to have back in the 1980s. It
was orange, paperback, maybe 6x8 x 1/2 inches. I think the title was
just Electronics Cookbook. I don't remember who wrote it, maybe Forest
Nims.

Perhaps
Electronic Circuits Cookbook by Harry L. Helms. ????

regards ............. Zim

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Alan Corey" wrote in message
I'm looking for a copy of a book I used to have back in the 1980s. It was
orange, paperback, maybe 6x8 x 1/2 inches. I think the title was just
Electronics Cookbook. I don't remember who wrote it, maybe Forest Nims.

If you want to browse before buying ; )
Check out some of these (requires bittorrent client www.bittorrent.com)
http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/443...54.TPB.torrent

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Alan Corey" wrote in message
I'm looking for a copy of a book I used to have back in the 1980s. It
was orange, paperback, maybe 6x8 x 1/2 inches. I think the title was
just Electronics Cookbook. I don't remember who wrote it, maybe
Forest Nims.

It had basic circuits: amplifiers, oscillators, etc. of different
types. There were 2 pages or so devoted to each circuit, the
advantages, disadvantages, how to optimize for different parameters,
typical input and output impedances. It was mostly linear/analog
circuitry.

If I could find out the exact title and author's name, maybe an ISBN
number, I could look on eBay or Amazon or somwhere.

Anyone remember what the output impedance of a grounded-gate FET
preamp is? This book would have it.

Thanks,

Alan AB1JX

I do recall a Orange cookbook, Then they had shrunk it down to the
smaller handbooks found in RS.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Martin Riddle wrote:
"Alan Corey" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks..I had worked at a Radio Shack in the late 70s and probably
pilfered it from their shelves. Are you sure of the title and author's
name? I don't see it at Amazon (at the moment). Mostly what I found is
the RSGB book, so I bought one of those. Nice, but not what I'm looking
for.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Alan Corey" wrote in message
Martin Riddle wrote:
"Alan Corey" wrote in message
[...]

There's always the Graf & Sheets Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits (6
vols) floating about in the world wide swamp, they're lousy scans and one
volume even has a page with the horizontal hold gone awry.

The accompanying text with each circuit is pretty minimal too.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"ian field" wrote in message
There's always the Graf & Sheets Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits (6
vols) floating about in the world wide swamp, they're lousy scans and one
volume even has a page with the horizontal hold gone awry.

The accompanying text with each circuit is pretty minimal too.

My recollection is that that collection is essentially the old-school version
of random schematics on the Internet today: Graf & Sheets collected them from
all over the place, but didn't actually analyze them personally, so the
quality tends to very from "really good" to "absolutely awful?"

Because just, "buyer beware..."

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"ian field" wrote in message
There's always the Graf & Sheets Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits (6
vols) floating about in the world wide swamp, they're lousy scans and one
volume even has a page with the horizontal hold gone awry.

The accompanying text with each circuit is pretty minimal too.

My recollection is that that collection is essentially the old-school
version of random schematics on the Internet today: Graf & Sheets
collected them from all over the place, but didn't actually analyze them
personally, so the quality tends to very from "really good" to "absolutely
awful?"

Because just, "buyer beware..."

Buyer?

Of the book.

Teflon coated.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Alan Corey wrote:
Martin Riddle wrote:
"Alan Corey" wrote in message
[...]

Was that the one with the aircraft-band crystal radio, one-transistor
carbon-mike megaphone, and tunnel-diode FM wireless mike? I've been
looking for a copy of that one for ages--I had it when I was about 10
(1969), but it fell apart and eventually got thrown out. No idea who
wrote it or what the title was.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 23:34:35 -0500, Alan Corey
wrote:

I'm looking for a copy of a book I used to have back in the 1980s. It
was orange, paperback, maybe 6x8 x 1/2 inches. I think the title was
just Electronics Cookbook. I don't remember who wrote it, maybe Forest
Nims.

Forrest Mims, maybe. He tended to call his stuff "scrapbook" or
"notebook".

Don Lancaster had a number of books with "cookbook" in the title.

And then there's Walt Jung's "IC Op-Amp Cookbook"
ISBN 0-13-889601-1

It had basic circuits: amplifiers, oscillators, etc. of different types.
There were 2 pages or so devoted to each circuit, the advantages,
disadvantages, how to optimize for different parameters, typical input
and output impedances. It was mostly linear/analog circuitry.

If I could find out the exact title and author's name, maybe an ISBN
number, I could look on eBay or Amazon or somwhere.

Anyone remember what the output impedance of a grounded-gate FET preamp
is? This book would have it.

Thanks,

Alan AB1JX

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"ian field" wrote in message
"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
Because just, "buyer beware..."

Buyer?

Yes. Sorry 'bout that...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Phil Hobbs wrote:
Alan Corey wrote:
Martin Riddle wrote:
"Alan Corey" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt it. There weren't many complete projects in this book. What
was unique about it was that it presented building blocks for different
circuits and told how to optimize make them work together. If you
wanted to build a receiver for instance you might look at amplifiers for
an RF amp, then oscillators for the first oscillator, then mixers for
the first mixer, amplifiers for IF amps, detectors for a detector, audio
power amps for driving a speaker. There were a few complete projects
toward the back but they weren't very interesting, I don't remember what
they were.

Alan
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Don Lancaster rings a bell, I'll try that.

Alan

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Alan Corey wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:
Alan Corey wrote:
Martin Riddle wrote:
"Alan Corey" wrote in message
[...]

There's a Forrest Mims website with a list of books and it's not there.
http://www.forrestmims.org/publications.html It wasn't "Getting
Started in Electronics"

I remember Don Lancaster's CMOS cookbook and the cheap video books, but
that's not it. I don't think it was him.

Alan AB1JX
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Alan Corey" wrote in message
Don Lancaster rings a bell, I'll try that.

Don has written a lot of good books, and I've only read a small sampling of
them, but I'd be rather surprised to learn that he had any that discuss
"building blocks" of radios or whatever all the way down to the small-signal
model level (i.e., providing equations for the input impedance of a grounded
base amplifier, as you mentioned).

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Joel Koltner wrote:
"Alan Corey" wrote in message
Don Lancaster rings a bell, I'll try that.

Don has written a lot of good books, and I've only read a small sampling
of them, but I'd be rather surprised to learn that he had any that discuss
"building blocks" of radios or whatever all the way down to the
small-signal model level (i.e., providing equations for the input
impedance of a grounded base amplifier, as you mentioned).

I've owned a couple of Don's cookbooks, and it seems that he assumes you
already know enough basic electronics to get the stuff hooked up. I think
the two I had were "the TTL cookbook" and either an opamp cookbook or active
filter cookbook, but nothing about "this is a transistor," "how to solder,"
or any of the really basic stuff.

My recommendation would probably be to search the web for stuff like "basic
electronics tutorial," or whatever, the operative word being "tutorial."

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I'm looking for a copy of a book I used to have back in the 1980s. It
was orange, paperback, maybe 6x8 x 1/2 inches. I think the title was
just Electronics Cookbook. I don't remember who wrote it, maybe Forest
Nims.

It had basic circuits: amplifiers, oscillators, etc. of different types.
There were 2 pages or so devoted to each circuit, the advantages,
disadvantages, how to optimize for different parameters, typical input
and output impedances. It was mostly linear/analog circuitry.

If I could find out the exact title and author's name, maybe an ISBN
number, I could look on eBay or Amazon or somwhere.

Anyone remember what the output impedance of a grounded-gate FET preamp
is? This book would have it.

Thanks,

Alan AB1JX

I have a copy of this book.
It was titled Engineers notebook II by Mims 1982 and this book from
Amazon looks like the latest revision.
Type this into Amazon search
Forrest Mims Engineer's Notebook paperback

Regards James

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Wasn't that the Radio Shack offering?

Quite a different thing from anything you could describe as an electronics
cookbook I'd say.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I'm looking for a copy of a book I used to have back in the 1980s. It
was orange, paperback, maybe 6x8 x 1/2 inches. I think the title was
just Electronics Cookbook. I don't remember who wrote it, maybe Forest
Nims.

It had basic circuits: amplifiers, oscillators, etc. of different types.
There were 2 pages or so devoted to each circuit, the advantages,
disadvantages, how to optimize for different parameters, typical input
and output impedances. It was mostly linear/analog circuitry.

If I could find out the exact title and author's name, maybe an ISBN
number, I could look on eBay or Amazon or somwhere.

Anyone remember what the output impedance of a grounded-gate FET preamp
is? This book would have it.

Thanks,

Alan AB1JX

A free copy of the book I mentioned can be downloaded here
http://www.filesonic.com/file/217120...plications.rar
Use the free slow dl, takes about 5 min.

Regards
Jan

Under cabinet spice/knife/cookbook rack hinges Paul Franklin[_2_] Woodworking 3 December 30th 09 02:43 AM
Sell , buy, Auction, Electronics -Electronics marketplace AGaRIki electronics Electronics 1 April 2nd 07 10:38 PM
buy electronics, sell electronics , auction electronics new, used electronics marketplace rHnI electronics2 Electronics Repair 1 April 2nd 07 10:31 PM
COOKBOOK HOLDER J T Woodworking 0 August 23rd 06 07:54 PM
no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design Hul Tytus Electronics Repair 8 October 22nd 05 01:25 AM