Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Crystal Oscillator: Drive Power

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:40:58 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the crystal?

The "standard" way of doing this is with a series resistor.

How is the customer measuring this "drive power" and how does he know it's
"too much"?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
crystal?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
crystal?

Do you have a copy of the old Epson crystal data book?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 22:21:25 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
crystal?

Do you have a copy of the old Epson crystal data book?

No. Do you have a link?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Californica: Losers voting for losers.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 22:21:25 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Jim Thompson wrote:
??
?? An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...
??
?? Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,
??
?? End customer claiming too much drive power.
??
?? Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
?? crystal?
?
?
? Do you have a copy of the old Epson crystal data book?

No. Do you have a link?

It was a real book. I lost mine when I was laid off at Microdyne in
2001. It had several pages of iformation about measuring crystal drive
and various types of crystal oscillators.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" schreef
in bericht ...
An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
crystal?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Don't know how to measure drive power (in a standard method). But, as this
is an old project, the drive power was not too high until recently I guess.
I know crystals were improved over the years and newer types require less
drive power then older ones. So they can be used with 3.3V devices for
instance. Standard way of connecting a new crystal type to an old oscillator
design is using a series resistor.

My reasoning would be: Either the internal impedance of the inverter output
is too low or the impedance of the load is too low given the configuration
in which the problem arises. IMHO you cannot blame the mains power provider
to have too much power available when you connect a device with too low an
impedance and blow it.

petrus bitbyter

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
crystal?

---
AFAIK, the only right way is to measure the crystal current with a
current probe, then to get the crystal's ESR from the data sheet and
do:

P = IČR

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
crystal?

---
AFAIK, the only right way is to measure the crystal current with a
current probe, then to get the crystal's ESR from the data sheet and
do:

P = IČR

---
JF

That's my understanding.. typically the data sheet will only tell you
the maximum motional resistance, which is okay for this purpose. With
modern crystals requiring drive levels to be in the double-digit
microwatts maximum, it's a constant concern.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
crystal?

---
AFAIK, the only right way is to measure the crystal current with a
current probe, then to get the crystal's ESR from the data sheet and
do:

P = IČR

---
JF

That's my understanding.. typically the data sheet will only tell you
the maximum motional resistance, which is okay for this purpose. With
modern crystals requiring drive levels to be in the double-digit
microwatts maximum, it's a constant concern.

What's going on... miniaturization making the blanks so thin that they
fracture at "high" power?

I can remember opening a crystal case (cover screws), then grinding
with Boraxo (or even Ajax) to get the frequency you wanted ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Californica: Losers voting for losers.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Yes. They can drift or even fail completely at the sort of drive
levels that HC49/U crystals could stand forever.

I can remember opening a crystal case (cover screws), then grinding
with Boraxo (or even Ajax) to get the frequency you wanted ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
What's going on... miniaturization making the blanks so thin that they
fracture at "high" power?

I can remember opening a crystal case (cover screws), then grinding
with Boraxo (or even Ajax) to get the frequency you wanted ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Then you also probably remember seeing circuits that used a filament type
pilot lamp in series with the crystal as a nonlinear resistor and visual
indication that the local oscillator was running. Neon lamps were used as
voltage regulators.

Yep, I remember the screw apart crystals in some of my old mil-surplus
equipment. To increase the frequency, wet lap the crystal sheet with a fine
abrasive slurry (Ajax) against a glass plate. If you went too far, rub a bit
of solder against the face to increase the mass and lower the frequency a
hair.
Oppie

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, quartz has its limits, and I think "fracture" is right in the
same sense that the fracture of the Tacoma narrows bridge wasn't
related to overheating as much as it was to Q.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Fi1VcbpAI
---

I can remember opening a crystal case (cover screws), then grinding
with Boraxo (or even Ajax) to get the frequency you wanted ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
FT 243?

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

An old project coming back, _trying_ to bite me...

Crystal Oscillator, classic CMOS inverter configuration,

End customer claiming too much drive power.

Is there a standard (accurate) way of LAB measuring power in the
crystal?

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/15287.pdf

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Sounds familiar. I'll have to look in the garage, I still have some
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the
blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson, November 13, 1787

Make the world a better place, Dispose of a Leftist Pansy
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

John Fields wrote:

FT 243?

Sounds familiar. I'll have to look in the garage, I still have some

Yes, they were FT-243. I still have some, too.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I can remember opening a crystal case (cover screws), then grinding
with Boraxo (or even Ajax) to get the frequency you wanted ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Those were FT-243s and I used Pepsodent and a piece of broken window
glass to "fine tune" them into the novice band.

Jim