Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Keuffel & Esser

I was discussing my old K&E slide rule with some folks and found some links.
Amazing bits of technology at the time. I've still got mine in the leather
carry pouch in my desk drawer.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ke-sliderule.html
http://www.mccoys-kecatalogs.com/KEManuals/manuals.htm

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
I was discussing my old K&E slide rule with some folks and found some
links. Amazing bits of technology at the time. I've still got mine in
the leather carry pouch in my desk drawer.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ke-sliderule.html
http://www.mccoys-kecatalogs.com/KEManuals/manuals.htm

Someone had given me a sliderule. It’s a Pickett, has "the capitol radio
engineering institute' and CREI printed on it.
Looks similar to the K&E, same style pouch. It's yellow, not white.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:45:32 -0700, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:38:25 -0400
"Oppie" wrote:

I was discussing my old K&E slide rule with some folks and found some links.
Amazing bits of technology at the time. I've still got mine in the leather
carry pouch in my desk drawer.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ke-sliderule.html
http://www.mccoys-kecatalogs.com/KEManuals/manuals.htm

Here's a repost of pix I posted 10/14/07.

My Faber-Castell Darmstadt 1-54.

Still in my desk drawer, in its leather case.

I still use it, occasionally.

You can see the ends of the brass reinforcing strips. They've acquired a patina over the years.

Still as flat as the day it was made. Since they also made pencils, I imagine the technology was developed from that.

My K&E didn't do well sitting for years in the leather case... all the
metal parts supporting the cursor turned to dust.

Of course mine is 55 years old ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I can see November from my house :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote:

I was discussing my old K&E slide rule with some folks and found some
links. Amazing bits of technology at the time. I've still got mine in
the leather carry pouch in my desk drawer.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ke-sliderule.html
http://www.mccoys-kecatalogs.com/KEManuals/manuals.htm

Here's a repost of pix I posted 10/14/07.

My Faber-Castell Darmstadt 1-54.

Still in my desk drawer, in its leather case.

I still use it, occasionally.

You can see the ends of the brass reinforcing strips. They've acquired a
patina over the years.

Still as flat as the day it was made. Since they also made pencils, I
imagine the technology was developed from that.

My K&E didn't do well sitting for years in the leather case... all the
metal parts supporting the cursor turned to dust.

Of course mine is 55 years old ;-)

So is mine. it spent the first ten years of its life in its original
cardboard case, until that crumbled, by which time I could afford a
leather one. I gave it a new cursor, about the same time.

They go for around 150 bucks these days. IIRC, mine was about $5, new.

Anyone selling the cursor assembly? Otherwise mine is in reasonably
good shape.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I can see November from my house :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:40:53 -0700, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:20:04 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone selling the cursor assembly? Otherwise mine is in reasonably
good shape.

Sphere Research in Kelowna, BC have K&E cursor parts, screws, runners,
frames, indicators.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/exchange.html

Thanks, Fred!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I can see November from my house :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
I was discussing my old K&E slide rule with some folks and found some
links. Amazing bits of technology at the time. I've still got mine in the
leather carry pouch in my desk drawer.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ke-sliderule.html
http://www.mccoys-kecatalogs.com/KEManuals/manuals.htm

From a discussion in another group. Slide rule calculation examples: