Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Citizen C2020H 44780 module.

Found this module clearing out a corner where junk started to accumulate, it
must be pretty old as google didn't find any reference to Citizen making LCD
modules.

There's actually a couple of other 44780 modules I've not been able to
locate a data sheet for, you'd think there was a standard of either a single
row of pins along one edge or the 2 rows at one end, but apparently the 2
rows at one end can be different ways round depending on make/model.

Anyone know of a way to power it up without damage if I don't get the pins
right first time?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field Inscribed thus:

Found this module clearing out a corner where junk started to
accumulate, it must be pretty old as google didn't find any reference
to Citizen making LCD modules.

I'll bet it came out of a typewriter. :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
Anyone know of a way to power it up without damage if I don't get the pins
right first time?

If the 44780 chip isn't COB and you can get to the pins,
probe it to find which connection goes to the power pins.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Clifford Heath" wrote in message
u...
Ian Field wrote:
Anyone know of a way to power it up without damage if I don't get the
pins right first time?

If the 44780 chip isn't COB and you can get to the pins,
probe it to find which connection goes to the power pins.

Something I should have thought of - all the modules have a pressed steel
frame, and *ALMOST* all of them have the securing tabs bent into contact
with print lands connected to Vss, the only one I have with no connection to
the metalwork - I have the data sheet anyway.

So apparently I can identify Vss & Vdd without any problem.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Baron" wrote in message
Ian Field Inscribed thus:

Found this module clearing out a corner where junk started to
accumulate, it must be pretty old as google didn't find any reference
to Citizen making LCD modules.

I'll bet it came out of a typewriter. :-)

Possibly - or a very old fax machine.

Anyone know whether KS0066 & KS0070 modules are compatible with the HD44780
standard?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:45:34 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Ian Field Inscribed thus:

Found this module clearing out a corner where junk started to
accumulate, it must be pretty old as google didn't find any reference
to Citizen making LCD modules.

I'll bet it came out of a typewriter. :-)

Possibly - or a very old fax machine.

Anyone know whether KS0066 & KS0070 modules are compatible with the
HD44780 standard?

As far as I can find out, yes. Most manufacturers are using clones
anyway. I don't think the original 44780 is made now.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"mick" wrote in message
b.com...
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:45:34 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

Ian Field Inscribed thus: