Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Small MOSFET input capacitance.

Does a source follower present lower apparent input capacitance?

I'm thinking in terms of 2N7000/BS170 sized devices.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:00:35 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

Does a source follower present lower apparent input capacitance?

I'm thinking in terms of 2N7000/BS170 sized devices.

Thanks.

Yes. If the follower voltage gain is close to 1, the gate-source
capacitance is bootstrapped and goes away. All that's left is
drain-gate capacitance. You can bootstrap that, too, with another
follower.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Does a source follower present lower apparent input capacitance?

I'm thinking in terms of 2N7000/BS170 sized devices.

Thanks.

Yes. If the follower voltage gain is close to 1, the gate-source
capacitance is bootstrapped and goes away. All that's left is
drain-gate capacitance. You can bootstrap that, too, with another
follower.

John

Thanks.

Is there a cheat sheet anywhere on the web to estimate the % of Cin that
disappears with various amounts of source degeneration?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 16:17:08 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Does a source follower present lower apparent input capacitance?

I'm thinking in terms of 2N7000/BS170 sized devices.

Thanks.

Yes. If the follower voltage gain is close to 1, the gate-source
capacitance is bootstrapped and goes away. All that's left is
drain-gate capacitance. You can bootstrap that, too, with another
follower.

John

Thanks.

Is there a cheat sheet anywhere on the web to estimate the % of Cin that
disappears with various amounts of source degeneration?

The small signal gain (gate-to-source) of an (R-loaded) MOS follower
is ...

(gm*R)/(1+gm*R)

Take it from there ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
Otherwise the dogs won't eat them :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Does a source follower present lower apparent input capacitance?

I'm thinking in terms of 2N7000/BS170 sized devices.

Thanks.

Yes. If the follower voltage gain is close to 1, the gate-source
capacitance is bootstrapped and goes away. All that's left is
drain-gate capacitance. You can bootstrap that, too, with another
follower.

John

Thanks.

Is there a cheat sheet anywhere on the web to estimate the % of Cin that
disappears with various amounts of source degeneration?

Well, the effective source resistance is 1/Gm. That makes a voltage
divider with whatever impedance the follower drives, like the source
resistor. So the gain might be, say, 0.9. That will reduce the charge
pumped into Cgs to 1/10 of the original value, so Cgs drops by 10:1.

There's a little additional error due to the slope of the drain
curves, which makes the follower gain less than 1 for even an infinite
source load, like a current sink.

Again, you can also bootstrap the drain if every pF matters. Or use a
dual-gate mosfet or a phemt. Or an opamp.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Does a source follower present lower apparent input capacitance?

I'm thinking in terms of 2N7000/BS170 sized devices.

Thanks.

Yes. If the follower voltage gain is close to 1, the gate-source
capacitance is bootstrapped and goes away. All that's left is
drain-gate capacitance. You can bootstrap that, too, with another
follower.

Its proving difficult to get relevant hits on google - any hints on a
suitable search string?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Does a source follower present lower apparent input capacitance?

I'm thinking in terms of 2N7000/BS170 sized devices.

Thanks.

Yes. If the follower voltage gain is close to 1, the gate-source
capacitance is bootstrapped and goes away. All that's left is
drain-gate capacitance. You can bootstrap that, too, with another
follower.

Its proving difficult to get relevant hits on google - any hints on a
suitable search string?

But I've just explained it all!

John