Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Lenovo Laptop Batteries

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

Not Lenovo, but with BT replacement batteries for my Gateway. It over
heats then shuts down, when the processor is full bore.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson

Last time I had a "battery problem" there was nothing wrong with the battery
at all. It just had a badly designed electrical connection with the
computer. Any wiggle in the battery, even less than a millimeter, would
break contact. A mechanical problem, in other words.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:54:01 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson

I'm using a Thinkpad X40. I've had it for 6, maybe 7 years now, cannot
remember exactly. I'm on my 2nd battery. First battery finally got
to the point where I had about 45 minutes run time. Got a new one on
Amazon. No major problems with either of them.

My Mac Book Pro battery, that's a horse of a different color...

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 09:17:05 -0500, Joe Chisolm
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:54:01 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson

I'm using a Thinkpad X40. I've had it for 6, maybe 7 years now, cannot
remember exactly. I'm on my 2nd battery. First battery finally got
to the point where I had about 45 minutes run time. Got a new one on
Amazon. No major problems with either of them.

My Mac Book Pro battery, that's a horse of a different color...

My X61s is odd... very little battery use, keep it off charger pretty
much to avoid that killer-mode, yet original battery died just after
warranty ran out, second battery died abruptly at 2 years.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:54:01 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson

I'm using a Thinkpad X40. I've had it for 6, maybe 7 years now, cannot
remember exactly. I'm on my 2nd battery. First battery finally got to
the point where I had about 45 minutes run time. Got a new one on
Amazon. No major problems with either of them.

My Mac Book Pro battery, that's a horse of a different color...

My X61s is odd... very little battery use, keep it off charger pretty
much to avoid that killer-mode, yet original battery died just after
warranty ran out, second battery died abruptly at 2 years.

...Jim Thompson

My use is similar. In a docking station for weeks between customer
visits. When I go on the road I will usually make sure and run the
battery down before I plug in the charger. My setup is a docking
station under a monitor stand so I run the X40 with the lid closed
most of the time. Noticed it was running rather warm, almost hot.
I put a small fan to move some of the heat out.

Now I did have a Dell laptop that I was running on a charger without
a UPS. The battery died after a nasty thunder storm. Dont know if
the battery just hit it's life end or the lightening had something
to do with it. I now run any laptop on a UPS.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:54:01 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson

I'm using a Thinkpad X40. I've had it for 6, maybe 7 years now, cannot
remember exactly. I'm on my 2nd battery. First battery finally got to
the point where I had about 45 minutes run time. Got a new one on
Amazon. No major problems with either of them.

My Mac Book Pro battery, that's a horse of a different color...

My X61s is odd... very little battery use, keep it off charger pretty
much to avoid that killer-mode, yet original battery died just after
warranty ran out, second battery died abruptly at 2 years.

...Jim Thompson

My use is similar. In a docking station for weeks between customer
visits.

Same here.

When I go on the road I will usually make sure and run the
battery down before I plug in the charger.

Likewise.

Maybe it's just a LiIon thing ?:-(

My setup is a docking
station under a monitor stand so I run the X40 with the lid closed
most of the time. Noticed it was running rather warm, almost hot.
I put a small fan to move some of the heat out.

Now I did have a Dell laptop that I was running on a charger without
a UPS. The battery died after a nasty thunder storm. Dont know if
the battery just hit it's life end or the lightening had something
to do with it. I now run any laptop on a UPS.

I've been considering a UPS for the laptop as well.

I already have a UPS on the phone system :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

[...]

liIon's life can be expected to be about a year or 2. They age from the
day they are made, so if you get an old pack it'll die early.

They also age faster if they are fully charged. Best to keep them at %70
state of charge.
And they age faster at higher temperatures.

Theres a wealth of information scattered about on the aging process.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson

Surfing seems to indicate that Sanyo is the culprit.

My local Batteries Plus has a Ray-O-Vac replacement.

Is that good/bad/indifferent?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson

Surfing seems to indicate that Sanyo is the culprit.

My local Batteries Plus has a Ray-O-Vac replacement.

Is that good/bad/indifferent?

...Jim Thompson

Its difficult to tell what cell manufacturer the rebuilders use.
Panasonic is one that is highly recommended.
Its possible the Ray-O-vac uses the Panasonic cell, or perhaps someone
else's, such as LG or Samsung.

I've been tempted to try these guys. http://batteryrebuild.com/
Just because there is higher chance of getting fresh cells.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:33:55 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries?

...Jim Thompson

Surfing seems to indicate that Sanyo is the culprit.

My local Batteries Plus has a Ray-O-Vac replacement.

Is that good/bad/indifferent?

...Jim Thompson

Its difficult to tell what cell manufacturer the rebuilders use.
Panasonic is one that is highly recommended.
Its possible the Ray-O-vac uses the Panasonic cell, or perhaps someone
else's, such as LG or Samsung.

Probably made in China by Ningbo Baowang.