DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   Batteryless current clamps, from sed (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/292147-batteryless-current-clamps-sed.html)

John Fields November 19th 09 02:00 PM

Batteryless current clamps, from sed

4 Attachment(s)
The transformer is rated to put out 12V @ 35A with a 120V input, so it
has a turns ratio of 10:1.

The ammeter on the left is measuring the current in the primary, which
is 1/10th of the current in the secondary, and the meter on the right is
measuring the current and voltage out of a solenoid-wound and
toroid-wound coil, the point being to prove that a solenoid wrapped
around a power line conductor will not transfer any power to a load.

While there _is_ a miniscule voltage and current coming out of the
solenoid, the reason is that the conductor isn't centered, axially, in
the coil.

By manipulating the conductor I could get the output of the solenoid
very close to zero, but for the purpose at hand I just let the output be
what it was with the small angle the conductor subtended from ideal.

JF