Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default 5 microamp meter - 5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
5 microamp meter - 5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg-5-microamp-darsonval-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , John Fields
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg) was included here. ]

Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?
--
Ian
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default 5 microamp meter - 5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg - meter box.jpg

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:15:38 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , John Fields
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg) was included here. ]

Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?

---
It's real. :-)

JF

Attached Thumbnails
5 microamp meter - 5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg-meter-box-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , John Fields
writes
wrote:

In message , John Fields
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg) was included here. ]

Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?

---
It's real. :-)

JF

[ A UUEncoded file (meter box.jpg) was included here. ]

Go on! I'll bet it's not! I thought that the best you got was something
like 50uA. If it really IS 5uA, take care not to drop it.

I've got one or two meters which 'lie' the other way. They are
reasonably sensitive but are intended to be used with a shunt, and are
scaled for an FSD higher than their basic sensitivity.
--
Ian
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

In message , John Fields
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg) was included here. ]

Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?

---
It's real. :-)

JF

[ A UUEncoded file (meter box.jpg) was included here. ]

Go on! I'll bet it's not! I thought that the best you got was something
like 50uA. If it really IS 5uA, take care not to drop it.

I've got one or two meters which 'lie' the other way. They are reasonably
sensitive but are intended to be used with a shunt, and are scaled for an
FSD higher than their basic sensitivity.
--
Ian

Wasn't the Avo 8 movement built for 37.5 uA FSD, or thereabouts, certainly
less than 50, and that had a big needle. I vaguely recall GWM Radio or J.
Bull Electrical selling the bare movements. On that basis a 20 or perhaps
even 10 uA movement might be conceivable, although 5 seems a bit of a
stretch.

Chris

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default 5 microamp meter - 5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg - meter box.jpg - meter test 008.jpg

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:30:42 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , John Fields
writes
wrote:

In message , John Fields
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg) was included here. ]

Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?

---
It's real. :-)

JF

[ A UUEncoded file (meter box.jpg) was included here. ]

Go on! I'll bet it's not!

---
Don't bet too much.

The resistor on the right is a 1 megohm 1% RN55, the Fluke's on the
200”A FS range and I've even given you a peek at the back of the meter
so you can see nothing sneaky's going on there.

Well, almost... The lighting isn't all that great.
---

I thought that the best you got was something
like 50uA. If it really IS 5uA, take care not to drop it.

---
Or even handle it roughly without a short across the terminals
---

I've got one or two meters which 'lie' the other way. They are
reasonably sensitive but are intended to be used with a shunt, and are
scaled for an FSD higher than their basic sensitivity.

---
Entirely practical.

JF

Attached Thumbnails
5 microamp meter - 5 microamp d'Arsonval.jpg-meter-test-008-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?

It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance, AKA how much uWatt does it need?
And how does that compare against 'normal' instruments?

I noticed that e.g. the same type of relay always need the same coil power
regardless the voltage.

AdM

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:53:02 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?

It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance,

---
Can't find the spec but, measured here, about 6000 ohms.
---

AKA how much uWatt does it need?

---
Since P = IČR = 5e-6A * 6e3R = 3e-2W = 30mW for full-scale deflection.
---

And how does that compare against 'normal' instruments?

---
Dunno, but check out the Simpson, Tripplett, etc. websites to find out.
---

I noticed that e.g. the same type of relay always need the same coil power
regardless the voltage.

---
OK...

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?
It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance,

---
Can't find the spec but, measured here, about 6000 ohms.
---
AKA how much uWatt does it need?

---
Since P = IČR = 5e-6A * 6e3R = 3e-2W = 30mW for full-scale deflection.

Uh?

P = IČR = (5e-6A)^2 * 6e3R = 150 nW full-scale.
How about energy efficient...

AdM.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?
It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance,

---
Can't find the spec but, measured here, about 6000 ohms.
---
AKA how much uWatt does it need?

---
Since P = IČR = 5e-6A * 6e3R = 3e-2W = 30mW for full-scale deflection.

Uh?

P = IČR = (5e-6A)^2 * 6e3R = 150 nW full-scale.
How about energy efficient...

AdM.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?
It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance,

---
Can't find the spec but, measured here, about 6000 ohms.
---
AKA how much uWatt does it need?

---
Since P = IČR = 5e-6A * 6e3R = 3e-2W = 30mW for full-scale deflection.

Uh?

P = IČR = (5e-6A)^2 * 6e3R = 150 nW full-scale.
How about energy efficient...

---
Aarghhh!!!

Right, thanks. :-)

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , John Fields
writes
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?
It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance,
---
Can't find the spec but, measured here, about 6000 ohms.
---
AKA how much uWatt does it need?
---
Since P = IČR = 5e-6A * 6e3R = 3e-2W = 30mW for full-scale deflection.

Uh?

P = IČR = (5e-6A)^2 * 6e3R = 150 nW full-scale.
How about energy efficient...

---
Aarghhh!!!

Right, thanks. :-)

JF

You can probably make the needle move simply by staring hard at it!
--
Ian

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , John Fields
writes
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:53:46 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , John Fields
writes
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?
It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance,
---
Can't find the spec but, measured here, about 6000 ohms.
---
AKA how much uWatt does it need?
---
Since P = IČR = 5e-6A * 6e3R = 3e-2W = 30mW for full-scale deflection.

Uh?

P = IČR = (5e-6A)^2 * 6e3R = 150 nW full-scale.
How about energy efficient...

---
Aarghhh!!!

Right, thanks. :-)

JF

You can probably make the needle move simply by staring hard at it!

---
Not quite, but if I hook up a test lead with steel alligator clips to
one terminal and one with copper clips to the other, I can wet my
fingers and squeeze the unconnected terminals and get about 2”A into the
meter.

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:53:46 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
John Fields writes
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
[...]

Dare we ask to see this? ;-)))))

Bill Garber

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
You can probably make the needle move simply by staring hard at it!

I have one which is 1mA FS, but it's only 70 ohms. It's sensitive enough
that rubbing my finger across the faceplate generates enough static to
bounce the needle everywhere. The scale is calibrated for a type K
thermocouple, IIRC.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , Tim Williams
writes
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
You can probably make the needle move simply by staring hard at it!

I have one which is 1mA FS, but it's only 70 ohms. It's sensitive enough
that rubbing my finger across the faceplate generates enough static to
bounce the needle everywhere. The scale is calibrated for a type K
thermocouple, IIRC.

But that's not 'sensitivity' (in the sense of sensitivity to current).

I have a large 'edge-scale' meter (from a German WW2 aircraft). The
scale is about 6" long. I managed to break the 'bay window' shaped
glass, and replaced it with one made from plastic (thin perspex, I
think). It really IS static-sensitive. A gentle rub on the face of the
plastic, and the needle gets well and truly pinned at any reading you
want. It will stay there for hours. Like this, the meter is essentially
useless. A quick 'harr' on the face releases it.
--
Ian

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:07:58 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:53:46 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
John Fields writes
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
[...]

I've been wanting to make a little video anyway, and this seems like a
perfect opportunity, so I'll post it here in a day or so...

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:39:21 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

Foolish me, i seem to remember that moving needle meters at 10 uA full
scale and below are normally taut band movements. It eliminates
friction issues. Be interesting if it is true.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:02:30 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:53:02 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?
It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance,

---
Can't find the spec but, measured here, about 6000 ohms.
---

AKA how much uWatt does it need?

---
Since P = IČR = 5e-6A * 6e3R = 3e-2W = 30mW for full-scale deflection.
---

And how does that compare against 'normal' instruments?

---
Dunno, but check out the Simpson, Tripplett, etc. websites to find out.
---

That is pretty typical of the sensitive movements that i have been
close enough to touch. A hand full or so, not all that many. Then
again, they never were all that common.

I noticed that e.g. the same type of relay always need the same coil power
regardless the voltage.

---
OK...

JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:53:02 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Foolish me, i seem to remember that moving needle meters at 10 uA full
scale and below are normally taut band movements. It eliminates
friction issues. Be interesting if it is true.

---
Your point being???

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:50:58 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
Is that really a 5 microamp meter, or actually just a meter with a 5
microamp FSD scale?
It's real. :-)

And a real beauty it is.

What is the internal resistance,
---
Can't find the spec but, measured here, about 6000 ohms.
---
AKA how much uWatt does it need?
---
Since P = IČR = 5e-6A * 6e3R = 3e-2W = 30mW for full-scale deflection.

Uh?

P = IČR = (5e-6A)^2 * 6e3R = 150 nW full-scale.
How about energy efficient...

---
Aarghhh!!!

Right, thanks. :-)

JF

A 200Kohms per volt meter movement. Less loading than a typical DVM
above 50V.

I have a similarly sensitive movement stuck in a crude semiconductor
tester constructed in the 70's (base and leakage current measurement
circuit). It was a cost/availability decision at the time, but using a
proper supply and op amps would probably have paid off better, in the
long run. Funny to recall how often a polarity reversal was needed to
get a reading (opposing my naive initial expectations).

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:26:29 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:07:58 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:53:46 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
John Fields writes
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
[...]

Well, I made the video, but it turned out to be 200MB so I can't post it
here through Giganews. :-(

Looks like I'll have to learn how to do it on YouTube...

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:07:58 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:53:46 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
John Fields writes
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:07:58 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:53:46 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
John Fields writes
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:53 +0100, "Arie de Muynck"
wrote:

"John Fields"
Arie de Muynck...

John Fields ...
Ian Jackson ...
[...]

That was easy! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlqM4Gx4IM

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlqM4Gx4IM

Nice John... 21 views and climbing! :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:45:34 -0600, the renowned John Fields
wrote:

---
That was easy! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlqM4Gx4IM

JF

Cool, what's that rattling in the background that sounds vaguely like
telephone pulse dialing?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

That was easy! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlqM4Gx4IM

JF

Cool, what's that rattling in the background that
sounds vaguely like telephone pulse dialing?

I was going to be more direct and ask why we can't
see what he is doing off-screen. I assume that he
is building up the charge, but we can't see how.

Bill Garber

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:15:12 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:45:34 -0600, the renowned John Fields
wrote:

---
That was easy! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlqM4Gx4IM

JF

Cool, what's that rattling in the background that sounds vaguely like
telephone pulse dialing?

---
Believe it or not, my hard drive!

JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:44:31 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

That was easy! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlqM4Gx4IM

JF

Cool, what's that rattling in the background that
sounds vaguely like telephone pulse dialing?

I was going to be more direct and ask why we can't
see what he is doing off-screen. I assume that he
is building up the charge, but we can't see how.

---
Why not try it for yourself?

All you need is a cheap DMM, a penny and a dime, say, and a little
spit...

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:59:47 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlqM4Gx4IM

Nice John... 21 views and climbing! :-)

---
Ahhh... Fame!

Thanks. :-)

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Foolish me, i seem to remember that moving needle meters at 10 uA full
scale and below are normally taut band movements. It eliminates
friction issues. Be interesting if it is true.

---
Your point being???

JF

D'Arsonval movements are jewel pivot bearings. Friction and stiction.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Foolish me, i seem to remember that moving needle meters at 10 uA full
scale and below are normally taut band movements. It eliminates
friction issues. Be interesting if it is true.

---
Your point being???

JF

D'Arsonval movements are jewel pivot bearings. Friction and stiction.

They are just actually defined by the moving coil, the actual
suspension can be jewel bearings, or taut band.

Peter
Junior Member

Hello John

Do you still have this meter and if so, would you be prepared to part with it ?

We need a 0-5uA FSD meter for an energy harvesting application.

Very many thanks, Richard