DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   74hc and 74ls interchang able ? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/256897-74hc-74ls-interchang-able.html)

mark krawczuk[_2_] July 31st 08 06:32 AM

74hc and 74ls interchang able ?

hi, i`m trying to build a bdm32 interface to program my saab trionic ecu ,
put the parts list is for hc ttl ic`s , i have ls ttl ic`s , are these
interchangable ?
thanks,
mark k

Oppie[_6_] July 31st 08 03:27 PM

74hc and 74ls interchang able ?

The threshold voltages are a bit different but otherwise, they are roughly
equivalent. Where things fall apart is when you try to kluge a digital part
for an analog function. There they have big differences.

TT_Man July 31st 08 03:39 PM

74hc and 74ls interchang able ?

"mark krawczuk" wrote in message
hi, i`m trying to build a bdm32 interface to program my saab trionic ecu
, put the parts list is for hc ttl ic`s , i have ls ttl ic`s , are these
interchangable ?
thanks,
mark k

Sometimes....... If your interface and drive to the saab unit is 5V, then
probably....... if it's 5V then definitely no.

Sjouke Burry[_2_] July 31st 08 11:23 PM

TT_Man wrote:
"mark krawczuk" wrote in message
hi, i`m trying to build a bdm32 interface to program my saab trionic ecu
, put the parts list is for hc ttl ic`s , i have ls ttl ic`s , are these
interchangable ?
thanks,
mark k

Sometimes....... If your interface and drive to the saab unit is 5V, then
probably....... if it's 5V then definitely no.

and some extra pull-up resistors on ls out to cmos in does
not hurt either.

Eeyore August 1st 08 02:33 AM

mark krawczuk wrote:

hi, i`m trying to build a bdm32 interface to program my saab trionic ecu ,
put the parts list is for hc ttl ic`s , i have ls ttl ic`s , are these
interchangable ?

Certainly not 100% reliably.

Graham

Eeyore August 1st 08 02:34 AM

Sjouke Burry wrote:

TT_Man wrote:
"mark krawczuk" wrote in message
hi, i`m trying to build a bdm32 interface to program my saab trionic ecu
, put the parts list is for hc ttl ic`s , i have ls ttl ic`s , are these
interchangable ?
thanks,
mark k

Sometimes....... If your interface and drive to the saab unit is 5V, then
probably....... if it's 5V then definitely no.

and some extra pull-up resistors on ls out to cmos in does
not hurt either.

That does certainly help.

Graham

legg August 1st 08 04:29 PM

74hc and 74ls interchang able ?

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:02:57 +0930, "mark krawczuk"
wrote:

hi, i`m trying to build a bdm32 interface to program my saab trionic ecu ,
put the parts list is for hc ttl ic`s , i have ls ttl ic`s , are these
interchangable ?
thanks,

I believe AC and AHC were developed to be more TTL compatible. The
problem is input logic level recognition.

RL

John Fields August 3rd 08 08:35 PM

wrote:

hi, i`m trying to build a bdm32 interface to program my saab trionic ecu ,
put the parts list is for hc ttl ic`s , i have ls ttl ic`s , are these
interchangable ?
thanks,

I believe AC and AHC were developed to be more TTL compatible. The
problem is input logic level recognition.

---
That's true on the CMOS side, but I think AC and AHC were developed
for higher speeds than available in HC and HCT, HCT and ACT being
developed to allow compatibility with bipolar TTL outputs.

TI recommends a pullup to Vcc on the TTL part to remove the
incompatibility, with a value of:

Vcc - TTL Vol(max)
TTL Iol + n CMOS Il

JF