Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default What to use as crimp tool? - HowToCrimp.pdf

Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Attached Files
File Type: pdf HowToCrimp.pdf (149.9 KB, 85 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

I've crimped similar before using a small locking grip pliers (Mole Grips).
I set the adjustment for a tight sliding fit to the part being crimped to
then squeezed the crimp on until the pliers locked. Unlock pliers and
remove, job done.

HTH
Brian

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:12:06 GMT, "Brian MW0GKX"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

I've crimped similar before using a small locking grip pliers (Mole Grips).
I set the adjustment for a tight sliding fit to the part being crimped to
then squeezed the crimp on until the pliers locked. Unlock pliers and
remove, job done.

HTH
Brian

OK. I was thinking "Vise Grips" might work.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

The instructions list a web page. Ask the OEM what to use.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:53:15 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson

Ratcheted cycling crimp device = vise grips.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:04:27 -0700, Archimedes' Lever
wrote:

wrote:

Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson

Ratcheted cycling crimp device = vise grips.

John

Not even close.

At best, a vice grip is a lever actuated cam force.

It's a force? I thought it was a tool. Silly me.

There is no ratcheting whatsoever.

You can ratchet it if you want to.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:14:23 -0700, Archimedes' Lever
wrote:

Yes, dumb****... you are silly.

There is no ratcheting whatsoever.

You can ratchet it if you want to.

No, dumb****, you cannot.

Ah, you must be DampMatter/AlwaysWrong/HeOfTheCornyNyms. Always
arguing about nothing.

Well, have a great day, doing whatever you do all day.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson

Parallel clamping force with load distribution to prevent cracking....

I'd use my pana-vise.
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:51:43 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson

Parallel clamping force with load distribution to prevent cracking....

I'd use my pana-vise.
Oppie

I have a _huge_ bench vise. I considered that. Might be best,
low-cost, solution ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:12:06 GMT, "Brian MW0GKX"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

OK. I was thinking "Vise Grips" might work.

That's the American term that this poor Brit was trying to think of!

Well done that man!
Brian

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

A ratcheted cycling crimp device, describes only a tool type, it does
not indicate the tool head required for the crimp type or AWG applied.
It's a bull**** instruction.

There are a number of generic 'ratcheting' crimping tools available
that will handle most gauges of wire, after some initial
experimentation, but manufacturers of the terminal will usually be
pretty specific about the tool required to do the job - and sell them.
These people don't seem to indicate what the terminal part number or
manufacturer is.

In would guess this was close to being Tyco-Amp 'termi-foil'

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/c...60,17698,17714

tooling details from the data sheet:
http://tinyurl.com/5ccelw

As it's a simple barrel crimp, a generic crimping tool for the gauge
of wire you're using will probably work.

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

The terminal is like #2-329254-4. The #12 wire is already crimped.

The "flag" part is what I must fold over the foil.

I can't find a referenced tool :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Did you contact the manufacturer of the lights and ask them? Their
website truly sucks, and is all in flash.
http://www.csllighting.com/flash.html

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything form somone with that crappy
website.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Providing the correct foil type is inserted, I'd use an arbour press,
or a hammer, after forming a rough positioning with pliers.

The teeth are pre-formed for the job and are assumed to do all the
work of establishing gas-tight penetration of the aluminum foil guage.

Application and other info at

http://tinyurl.com/6573zp

actual tool page is
http://tinyurl.com/62b96u

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

The light set is obsolete. I bought it five years ago, just getting
around to installing it ;-)

Round 'n' round... the crimps are Tyco/AMP, but I can't find a
matching tool/jaws.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I don't have an arbor press, but I do have a big-ass bench vise that
might do the trick.

The teeth are pre-formed for the job and are assumed to do all the
work of establishing gas-tight penetration of the aluminum foil guage.

Application and other info at

http://tinyurl.com/6573zp

actual tool page is
http://tinyurl.com/62b96u

RL

I found the "tool 68026" picture, but no $ or ordering info.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:20:26 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I found the "tool 68026" picture, but no $ or ordering info.

The old AMP customer service 'hotline' from the original catalog page
for the part was 1-800-722-1111.

AMP tools were always $$$$ and aimed at volume OEM.

RL

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I found the "tool 68026" picture, but no $ or ordering info.

The old AMP customer service 'hotline' from the original catalog page
for the part was 1-800-722-1111.

AMP tools were always $$$$ and aimed at volume OEM.

RL

Found it... $455... I'll use the vise ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:51:43 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson

Parallel clamping force with load distribution to prevent cracking....

I'd use my pana-vise.
Oppie

I have a _huge_ bench vise. I considered that. Might be best,
low-cost, solution ;-)

...Jim Thompson

We all have our special vises and even a few vices...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I found the "tool 68026" picture, but no $ or ordering info.

The old AMP customer service 'hotline' from the original catalog page
for the part was 1-800-722-1111.

AMP tools were always $$$$ and aimed at volume OEM.

RL

Found it... $455... I'll use the vise ;-)

= one half day's high-priced help for an OEM while their fresh
sheep-skin tries to find the tool and order it.

RL

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Is there a local company that installs custom cabinets and lighting?
They should still have the proper tool.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:00:16 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:51:43 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson

Parallel clamping force with load distribution to prevent cracking....

I'd use my pana-vise.
Oppie

I have a _huge_ bench vise. I considered that. Might be best,
low-cost, solution ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Except that it doesn't ratchet!

What is that thing, anyhow?

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

In would guess this was close to being Tyco-Amp 'termi-foil'

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/c...60,17698,17714

tooling details from the data sheet:
http://tinyurl.com/5ccelw

As it's a simple barrel crimp, a generic crimping tool for the gauge
of wire you're using will probably work.

RL

The terminal is like #2-329254-4. The #12 wire is already crimped.

The "flag" part is what I must fold over the foil.

I can't find a referenced tool :-(

That catalogue page that was posted lists a 68026 AMP hand crimp tool
as suitable for these terminals (however, I'd probably use pliers to
start, followed by a vise if I only had a couple to do...)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

In would guess this was close to being Tyco-Amp 'termi-foil'

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/c...60,17698,17714

tooling details from the data sheet:
http://tinyurl.com/5ccelw

As it's a simple barrel crimp, a generic crimping tool for the gauge
of wire you're using will probably work.

RL

The terminal is like #2-329254-4. The #12 wire is already crimped.

The "flag" part is what I must fold over the foil.

I can't find a referenced tool :-(

That catalogue page that was posted lists a 68026 AMP hand crimp tool
as suitable for these terminals (however, I'd probably use pliers to
start, followed by a vise if I only had a couple to do...)

That's what I'm going to do... particularly since the tool is _only_
$455 ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:51:43 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson

Parallel clamping force with load distribution to prevent cracking....

I'd use my pana-vise.
Oppie

I have a _huge_ bench vise. I considered that. Might be best,
low-cost, solution ;-)

You are a huge bench vice. You were considered a "low cost solution"
by your former employer. Boy, did they ever find out how wrong they
were.

I have not had a "former employer" for 35 years... lots of clients,
but no employers ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:51:43 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Got some under-counter lighting strips, but I don't know what to use
for crimp tool?

See PDF attachment. First page is "instructions", 2nd page is a
photo.

...Jim Thompson

Parallel clamping force with load distribution to prevent cracking....

I'd use my pana-vise.
Oppie

I have a _huge_ bench vise. I considered that. Might be best,
low-cost, solution ;-)

You are a huge bench vice. You were considered a "low cost solution"
by your former employer. Boy, did they ever find out how wrong they
were.

A bench vice is a crooked judge.

John