DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   Yikes! (1/1) (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/214951-yikes-1-1-a.html)

John Larkin September 18th 07 09:44 PM

Yikes! (1/1)

3 Attachment(s)

John Larkin September 19th 07 04:24 AM

Yikes! (1/1)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:45:33 -0700, Spurious Response
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:44:23 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

I'd say that "spurious" doesn't even describe the level of noise in
that "signal". More like pure trash.

The noise floor is about -80 dBm, not bad in the middle of a city. All
the other stuff is there on purpose: AM, FM, TV, HDTV, all that. The
*content* of most of those signals are certainly trash, but that's
another issue.

John

Joerg September 19th 07 05:15 PM

Yikes! (1/1)

wrote:

I'd say that "spurious" doesn't even describe the level of noise in
that "signal". More like pure trash.

The noise floor is about -80 dBm, not bad in the middle of a city. All
the other stuff is there on purpose: AM, FM, TV, HDTV, all that. The
*content* of most of those signals are certainly trash, but that's
another issue.

Once I had to convince someone that it was indeed AM that got into their
gear. So I whipped up a diode thing (always have some Ge diode with
me...), connected to the sound card and Rush Limbaugh was heard loud and
clear.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Michael A. Terrell September 19th 07 07:45 PM

Yikes! (1/1)

wrote:

I'd say that "spurious" doesn't even describe the level of noise in
that "signal". More like pure trash.

The noise floor is about -80 dBm, not bad in the middle of a city. All
the other stuff is there on purpose: AM, FM, TV, HDTV, all that. The
*content* of most of those signals are certainly trash, but that's
another issue.

Once I had to convince someone that it was indeed AM that got into their
gear. So I whipped up a diode thing (always have some Ge diode with
me...), connected to the sound card and Rush Limbaugh was heard loud and
clear.

Rush? Always 'Loud', never 'Clear'. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.