Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Productivity

Joerg wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
flipper wrote:
Joerg wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

ducking for cover now...

ROTFLOL

Hey, if you want to hear people bitch about dinner go with a couple of
Brits to France and get one of them 'fancy' dinners with raw pork
chops and the vegetables all turned into baby food. As the pair I was
with put it "the French don't cook, they make sauces and puree."

'Raw meat' can be very tasty indeed. Nought wrong with purees either. It's a
shame IMHO that we don't see more French style cooking in the UK these days. It
was more in vogue back in the 70s when many towns offered an inexpensive
'bistro'. That's given me a hunger for a good old-fashioned coq-au-vin actually.

A friend (Wales) used to say that the national dish in the UK is now
"Chicken Tikamasala". Her mom almost blew a gasket whenever she said that.

Tikka Masala is over-rated. It is of UK origin btw, indeed it's exported to India
these days ! I like a mild curry actually. Kormas are my favourite.

I prefer Italian or Chinese food over 'Indian' though.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

John Larkin wrote:

Joerg wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

I've had excellent food in Oxford. It was Italian, perpared by
Italians. A little place on the Southern Parade, which is north of the
Northern Parade.

All the Italian restaurants I can think of are run by Italians. I don't think
I've come across a bad one. They care too much about their food to muck it up.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

John Larkin wrote:

Joerg wrote:

A friend (Wales) used to say that the national dish in the UK is now
"Chicken Tikamasala". Her mom almost blew a gasket whenever she said that.

Well, it's a change from fish+chips, or boiled mutton.

Larkin has some funny ideas.

I have never come across boiled mutton in my entire life ! He makes it sound like it's
part of our staple diet. Fish and chips can be really good btw.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:54:11 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:53:47 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:16:42 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:02:15 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:31:01 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:40:33 GMT, Joerg

I prefer the hearty kind of the All American breakfast. Eggs, bacon,
sausages, potatoes, grits.

Grits! I love grits. But where did you pick up that habit?

I first had grits in the Chow Hall at Shaw AFB, Sumter, SC. The
southern boys got a kick out of watching the carpetbaggers put
cream and sugar on their grits, as if it was cream-of-wheat. I
learned early on that they're supposed to get lots of butter, salt
and pepper. ;-)

And, has anyone heard the old joke about the Yankee who just
arrives in the South, and at a restaurant, he decides to try some.
He says, "And some grits".
Waitress asks, "Hominy?"
Customer says, "Oh, I don't know - five or six, maybe?"

The usual answer would be "Y' ain't from around town, are ya, boy?"
Followed by some really suspicious looks from the other patrons.

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

Or a milk shake in Boston ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Ask for a frappe.

I prefer malteds, myself.

In New Orleans, have Breakfast at Brennan's, and order a milk punch.
That's sort of an alcoholic milk shake.

The old moloko-plus first, me droogs?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:11:12 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Joerg wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

I've had excellent food in Oxford. It was Italian, perpared by
Italians. A little place on the Southern Parade, which is north of the
Northern Parade.

All the Italian restaurants I can think of are run by Italians. I don't think
I've come across a bad one. They care too much about their food to muck it up.

Graham

Some of the best food in the world in London- I've had Chinese,
Continental, French, Italian, Iranian etc. You just have to be
prepared to spend 2-3x what you would in most other cities.. so the
price in pounds will be similar numerically to the price in USD or CAD
elsewhere.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:45:37 -0500, flipper wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:38:22 GMT, Richard The Dreaded Libertarian
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:06:33 -0500, flipper wrote:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:02:42 GMT, Richard The Dreaded Libertarian

Where do you get your income? From performing a service for your
employer, right?

And I pay tax on that whether I buy a blessed thing or not.

Yes, exactly, and that is the problem we're attempting to solve.

Then you need to learn the difference between the income tax and a
sales tax.

OK, teach me.

I thought "income tax" is a tax on your income, where, for example,
if you earn $1000.00, they take away #300.00 and you take home
$700.00, and if you don't turn over the $300.00, they'll take it
by force.

In other words, it's a penalty on working.

I also thought a "sales tax" was one where, when you _spend_ $1000.00
on tangible goods, they take away $300.00, so that the merchant only
gets $700.00. If you don't want to pay this tax, you don't have to
buy the $1000.00 cement mixer or whatever.

And when you buy a $10,000,000.00 yacht, they take $3,000,000.00
in tax.

But they didn't penalize you for _earning_ the $10,000,000.00.

Now, am I wrong?

If so, please enlightem me.

You might need to use small words.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Richard The Dreaded Libertarian wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:45:37 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:38:22 GMT, Richard The Dreaded Libertarian

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:06:33 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:02:42 GMT, Richard The Dreaded Libertarian

Where do you get your income? From performing a service for your
employer, right?

And I pay tax on that whether I buy a blessed thing or not.

Yes, exactly, and that is the problem we're attempting to solve.

Then you need to learn the difference between the income tax and a
sales tax.

OK, teach me.

I thought "income tax" is a tax on your income, where, for example,
if you earn $1000.00, they take away #300.00 and you take home
$700.00, and if you don't turn over the $300.00, they'll take it
by force.

Nope. If you don't turn over the $300 then they come after you and take
away $500 ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Joerg wrote:
JosephKK wrote:

Joerg posted to
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic:

Rich Grise wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:20:56 -0700, Joerg wrote:

flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

Or ice coffee in the US. My mom tried that, craving her German cup
of "Eiskaffee". The completely puzzled waitress gave her regular
coffee with ice cubes in there ....

Well, isn't that pretty much how you make iced coffee anyway? ;-)

Oh no:

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/1299.htm

I don't suppose that you would translate that for us? =-)

Ok, here goes:

Take 1/2 liter of water and 4 coffee measures (don't remember how much
that is, AFAIK more than tea spoons) of grounds and brew a strong
coffee. Sweeten with sugar while still hot. Cool rapidly so the coffee
doesn't increase in bitterness. This can be achieved by using a metal
bowl or pot that is set in cold water. Cool thoroughly in fridge. If in
a hurry you can also make excess coffee in the morning and let that
cool. Place two scoops of vanilla ice cream into a cocktail glass. Pour
well chilled coffee over that. Beat cream until it solidifies and add a
dab on top of each glass. Sprinkle chocolate powder over the top. Serve
with straw and long spoon.

As for coffee measures (Kafeeloeffel) I found only 58 hits and none had
weight or volume data. Basically you just have to make a strong coffee,
more towards Italian style. Just not the stuff where the spoon doesn't
fall over and you can't sleep the next two nights ;-)

In that case I advise you not to visit me for coffee.....
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 03:42:37 +0200, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

Good coffee must be _eaten_ with a spoon ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

Hear, hear!!!!!!
I just like the turkish brand
You not only need a spoon, but a knive as well.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

When I was a student at MIT I made a weekly trip to "Southy", to a
restaurant called "The Nile", for the coffee (and the stuffed grape
leaves :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Joerg wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

I've had excellent food in Oxford. It was Italian, perpared by
Italians. A little place on the Southern Parade, which is north of the
Northern Parade.

All the Italian restaurants I can think of are run by Italians. I don't think
I've come across a bad one. They care too much about their food to muck it up.

Some of the best food in the world in London- I've had Chinese,
Continental, French, Italian, Iranian etc. You just have to be
prepared to spend 2-3x what you would in most other cities.. so the
price in pounds will be similar numerically to the price in USD or CAD
elsewhere.

It does seem to be the case that you can get fed relatively inexpensively in the
USA but I have seen ppl post links to quite expensive US restaurant menus too.

There's a rather nice Italian just 3 minutes walk from me btw.
http://www.restaurants.co.uk/rest_includes/dx_rest.php/Verdi's-Trattoria/CndHcl4=

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

Once I hired a guy whose wife is from Turkey. We picked them all up at
the airport, got them into a temporary apartment, the kids ran down to
the river and came back right away. "Mom, come down there, they've got
the perfect leaves to make dolma!" Sure enough two days later he brought
freshly made dolma into the office.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

You can always get a decent dinner for $10-$15 here. It's the beverages
such as beer and wine that can add princely amounts to the tab.

We also have a smattering of culinary diversity in the US. If we crave
good ol' bangers UK-style all we have to do is go to the "Fox and
Goose", British accent included. "Whut shall it be, lads and lasses?"

There's a rather nice Italian just 3 minutes walk from me btw.
http://www.restaurants.co.uk/rest_includes/dx_rest.php/Verdi's-Trattoria/CndHcl4=

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:13:20 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

Around here, you can get a superb Thai or Vietnamese or Mexican or
Chinese or Italian dinner, with a beer or a glass of house wine, for
$10-15. Food is cheap in San Francisco, for some reason, roughly half
of what you'd pay in LA or New York.

We also have a smattering of culinary diversity in the US. If we crave
good ol' bangers UK-style all we have to do is go to the "Fox and
Goose", British accent included. "Whut shall it be, lads and lasses?"

We have very little British or Irish food here, and not a lot of real
"meat" places. The House Of Prime Rib is pretty conspicuous, and very
expensive, but it's mostly full of Asian tourists. I do like the
little bistro that (usually) has Kobe beef hamburgers.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

I am badly missing Greek restaurants. In Germany we were very spoiled in
that respect. Not here :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

We can buy ground Kobe beef at AJ's grocery store... hamburgers to die
for ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Joerg wrote:

I am badly missing Greek restaurants. In Germany we were very spoiled in
that respect. Not here :-(

I especially like their sweet courses.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

Joerg wrote:

I am badly missing Greek restaurants. In Germany we were very spoiled in
that respect. Not here :-(

I especially like their sweet courses.

That I don't like. My favorites are gyros, suvlakia, stifado and all
this good stuff. Plus of course tzatziki which we now have to make from
scratch at home because the stuff in restaurant doesn't taste so great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:10:22 -0500, flipper wrote:

If you are now going to claim that you know of differences then you
should not have started with "What in the f*** is the difference?."

And, of course, you continue to not answer the question.

Plonk.
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:06:15 -0500, flipper wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:36:48 GMT, Richard The Dreaded Libertarian
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:10:22 -0500, flipper wrote:

If you are now going to claim that you know of differences then you
should not have started with "What in the f*** is the difference?."

And, of course, you continue to not answer the question.

So you're back to claiming you don't know, again?

What? The difference between an income tax and a sales tax?

I've explained it to you twice already, and you seem to be unable
or unwilling to grasp it.

I guess I lied about plonking you - I must have a latent masochistic
streak to keep trollfeeding you like this.

Thanks,
Rich