Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default jewelry

This is a quartz crystal made for us by Lap-Tech in Canada. It's glass
sealed with vacuum inside, for high Q and low ageing. It's a 40 MHz
overtone AT cut, for oven use. The manufacturer writes the
turning-point (zero TC) temperature on the base of each individual
unit; you can barely see the '61' on this one.

John

Attached Thumbnails
jewelry-xtal1-jpg  jewelry-xtal2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Larkin" wrote in message

This is a quartz crystal made for us by Lap-Tech in Canada. It's glass
sealed with vacuum inside, for high Q and low ageing. It's a 40 MHz
overtone AT cut, for oven use. The manufacturer writes the
turning-point (zero TC) temperature on the base of each individual
unit; you can barely see the '61' on this one.

Is that an HC-8U can?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well over
15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

Some others.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/I...rticleID=12295

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Art...z+crystals.htm

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well over
15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4 g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense? Maybe by dropping it into a box
of styrofoam peanuts. Just dropping it a few inches on a hard surface is
many more G's than that. For only 14,000 G's, they must have crashed their
high-speed ordinance into something fairly soft.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 04:27:46 -0500, Anthony Fremont wrote:

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well over
15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4 g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense? Maybe by dropping it into a box
of styrofoam peanuts. Just dropping it a few inches on a hard surface is
many more G's than that. For only 14,000 G's, they must have crashed their
high-speed ordinance into something fairly soft.

The guidance package isn't expected to survive impact with the target; it
just has to make it through launch. Of course, that could be out of a
cannon. I agree about the laptop, though.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well over
15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4 g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense?

U B Idiot. A drop from 3 feet up generates about 3 to 4 G's.
Square wave, sudden stop. A typical Hard Drive at rest can handle
40Gs.

Maybe by dropping it into a box
of styrofoam peanuts.

You ain't real bright.

Just dropping it a few inches on a hard surface is
many more G's than that.

You aren't very bright at all. Here's some figures for you to
utilize.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentor...html?from=Home

More advanced:

http://www.earsc.com/HOME-Electronic...ex.asp?SID=250

For only 14,000 G's, they must have crashed their
high-speed ordinance into something fairly soft.

14k was the limit of their test gear. The munitions get more, but the
MEMs still work! They saw 100kGs likely.

It's like the collapse of a flux wave on a transformer with DC on
it. Theoretically infinite voltage is induced, but we know it is
less, and less still with loading.

A drop to a sudden stop is theoretically infinite G force, but we
know that it gets dampened and is far less, depending on the
conditions involved.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 05:37:54 -0400, "Stephen J. Rush"
Gave us:

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well over
15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4 g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense? Maybe by dropping it into a box
of styrofoam peanuts. Just dropping it a few inches on a hard surface is
many more G's than that. For only 14,000 G's, they must have crashed their
high-speed ordinance into something fairly soft.

The guidance package isn't expected to survive impact with the target; it
just has to make it through launch. Of course, that could be out of a
cannon. I agree about the laptop, though.

CSA and many others disagree with you. The figures are correct.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well
over 15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4
g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense?

U B Idiot. A drop from 3 feet up generates about 3 to 4 G's.

Just tipping a drive over on a hard table (like one in an external case that
has 0 shock protection, like most of them have) can kill the drive by
subjecting it to hundreds of G's of impact. If it's running, it's almost a
guaranteed a head crash.

Square wave, sudden stop. A typical Hard Drive at rest can handle
40Gs.

40G's of NON-IMPACT Vibration and actually it's much more than that, more
like 500G - 1000G @ 1 or 2mS You have to be more definitive than "sudden
stop", if you reduce decel time to 0, then the number of G's is
incalculable.

Maybe by dropping it into a box
of styrofoam peanuts.

You ain't real bright.

Just dropping it a few inches on a hard surface is
many more G's than that.

You aren't very bright at all. Here's some figures for you to
utilize.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentor...html?from=Home

Kids experiments? Where is the science?

More advanced:

http://www.earsc.com/HOME-Electronic...ex.asp?SID=250

Too bad you didn't seem to read/understand any of it. It's mostly about how
tiny little things like rubber grommets can do wonders to lower the force of
non-impact vibration. I double dog dare you to drop your laptop 36" onto a
concrete surface. Be sure to take pics and post them. If you think that it
will take a whole 2mS to decelerate and that your laptop will penetrate the
concrete by 1/4" or so while doing so, then who is the one that "ain't real
bright"?

For only 14,000 G's, they must have crashed their
high-speed ordinance into something fairly soft.

14k was the limit of their test gear. The munitions get more, but the
MEMs still work! They saw 100kGs likely.

It's like the collapse of a flux wave on a transformer with DC on
it. Theoretically infinite voltage is induced, but we know it is
less, and less still with loading.

A drop to a sudden stop is theoretically infinite G force, but we
know that it gets dampened and is far less, depending on the
conditions involved.

A 36" drop of a hard drive onto concrete will more than prove my point.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:
This is a quartz crystal made for us by Lap-Tech in Canada. It's glass
sealed with vacuum inside, for high Q and low ageing. It's a 40 MHz
overtone AT cut, for oven use. The manufacturer writes the
turning-point (zero TC) temperature on the base of each individual
unit; you can barely see the '61' on this one.

John

Nice closeups! Thanks.

Ed
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in message
Just tipping a drive over on a hard table (like one in an external case that
has 0 shock protection, like most of them have) can kill the drive by
subjecting it to hundreds of G's of impact. If it's running, it's almost a
guaranteed a head crash.

I can pretty much vouch for that... I tipped one like that over a couple years
ago (it was a Buffalo Drivestation -- no internal padding), and while it
didn't immediately die, it became unreliable and many files were no longer
retrievable. So it probably had a head crash -- just not one that completely
trashed the head.

I'm also guilty of one having a hard drive just sitting on a case's frame (the
case cover removed) and bumping it a bit such that the frame shorted across
the drive's controller board, immediately killing it. :-) In that case a
controller board swap brought it back to life.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Joel Kolstad wrote:
[...]

Every one I've seen is just an aluminum case with absolutely no shock
protection at all. For some reason, the manufacturers like to have you
stand them up on edge. Really dumb IMO.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well over
15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4 g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense?

U B Idiot. A drop from 3 feet up generates about 3 to 4 G's.

The deceleration g force depends on the ratio of the drop distance to
the stop distance. It's fairly simple math.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well over
15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4 g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense?

U B Idiot. A drop from 3 feet up generates about 3 to 4 G's.

The deceleration g force depends on the ratio of the drop distance to
the stop distance. It's fairly simple math.

John

MinimumDong can't even add.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 04:19:42 GMT, "Lord Garth"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .

This is a quartz crystal made for us by Lap-Tech in Canada. It's glass
sealed with vacuum inside, for high Q and low ageing. It's a 40 MHz
overtone AT cut, for oven use. The manufacturer writes the
turning-point (zero TC) temperature on the base of each individual
unit; you can barely see the '61' on this one.

Is that an HC-8U can?

That's the big one, right? This is the little one, HC33 maybe?

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Larkin" wrote in message

Is that an HC-8U can?

That's the big one, right? This is the little one, HC33 maybe?

Right, HC-18 was the medium size...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:38:51 -0500, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well
over 15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4
g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense?

U B Idiot. A drop from 3 feet up generates about 3 to 4 G's.

Just tipping a drive over on a hard table (like one in an external case that
has 0 shock protection, like most of them have) can kill the drive by
subjecting it to hundreds of G's of impact.

Total bull****. You must have had "hundreds of Gs of impact"
applied to your head as a child.

If it's running, it's almost a
guaranteed a head crash.

You don't know much about rugged operational parameters (if
anything).

Square wave, sudden stop. A typical Hard Drive at rest can handle
40Gs.

40G's of NON-IMPACT Vibration and actually it's much more than that, more
like 500G - 1000G @ 1 or 2mS You have to be more definitive than "sudden
stop", if you reduce decel time to 0, then the number of G's is
incalculable.

More total bull****. The number is "theoretically infinite". The
reality is most certainly calculable. You sure don't know much about
numbers that APPROACH zero or infinity. A car coil has a DC standing
flux on it. When the points open, that flux collapses and a
THEORETICALLY infinite voltage is induced. In reality, however, the
number is much much lower. That is why we don't see Tesla coil events
at our spark plug gaps.

Maybe by dropping it into a box
of styrofoam peanuts.

You ain't real bright.

Just dropping it a few inches on a hard surface is
many more G's than that.

You aren't very bright at all. Here's some figures for you to
utilize.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentor...html?from=Home

Kids experiments? Where is the science?

You ain't real bright.. at all.

More advanced:

http://www.earsc.com/HOME-Electronic...ex.asp?SID=250

Too bad you didn't seem to read/understand any of it.

Too bad you didn't, dingledorf.

No ****.

I double dog dare you to drop your laptop 36" onto a
concrete surface. Be sure to take pics and post them.

That is precisely what the makers of such products do to them. They
ALSO know how many Gs are generated in such events. You do not.

If you think that it
will take a whole 2mS to decelerate and that your laptop will penetrate the
concrete by 1/4" or so while doing so, then who is the one that "ain't real
bright"?

You ain't real bright. Nobody said a goddamned thing like what you
describe.

For only 14,000 G's, they must have crashed their
high-speed ordinance into something fairly soft.

14k was the limit of their test gear. The munitions get more, but the
MEMs still work! They saw 100kGs likely.

It's like the collapse of a flux wave on a transformer with DC on
it. Theoretically infinite voltage is induced, but we know it is
less, and less still with loading.

A drop to a sudden stop is theoretically infinite G force, but we
know that it gets dampened and is far less, depending on the
conditions involved.

A 36" drop of a hard drive onto concrete will more than prove my point.

The effect it had on your skull cavity, and brain function sure
leans that way, but you're still wrong.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

MassiveProng wrote:
[...]

More of this poor analogy? That voltage is still a tad higher than Vcc
isn't it? What happens when resistance is reduced to 0 as in a
superconductor? I'm not saying decel time is truly 0 when you drop a hard
drive on concrete, but it's not going to be a whole 2mS either, unless you
add up all the impacts as it bounces around.

That is why we don't see Tesla coil events
at our spark plug gaps.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. What is a "Tesla coil event"?
What is different about tessla coils and what takes place in an ignition
coil, outside of the Tesla coil having a built in oscillator and it being a
fully tuned circuit?

[...]

You obviously don't. Manufacturers will also tell me that the MTBF of hard
drives is something like 50 years, do you think that is even remotely
realistic? If you carefully read the artcle you will see that they make
certain ass-u-mptions that don't apply to the real world scenario being
discussed here.

If you think that it
will take a whole 2mS to decelerate and that your laptop will
penetrate the concrete by 1/4" or so while doing so, then who is the
one that "ain't real bright"?

You ain't real bright. Nobody said a goddamned thing like what you
describe.

It's called "doing the math", try it some time. Let's say we drop a hard
drive from 48" (a convenient and practical number). It will take exactly .5
seconds to reach the floor. At that time, it's velocity will be 16 feet/sec
(192 inches/sec). If it takes 2mS to come to a stop, the drive will travel
..384 inches during that 2mS. WHAT WILL BE THE OUTCOME? Do you still wish
to insist that it will hit the floor with 3 or 4Gs of force? I got news for
you, we ain't talking about a half-sin pulse or a 1.5 R(ebound) value. We
are talking thousands of Gs.

For only 14,000 G's, they must have crashed their
high-speed ordinance into something fairly soft.

14k was the limit of their test gear. The munitions get more, but
the MEMs still work! They saw 100kGs likely.

It's like the collapse of a flux wave on a transformer with DC on
it. Theoretically infinite voltage is induced, but we know it is
less, and less still with loading.

A drop to a sudden stop is theoretically infinite G force, but we
know that it gets dampened and is far less, depending on the
conditions involved.

A 36" drop of a hard drive onto concrete will more than prove my
point.

The effect it had on your skull cavity, and brain function sure
leans that way, but you're still wrong.

Very convincing, no wonder the kooks are so taken with you.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2007-04-12, MassiveProng wrote:

U B Idiot. A drop from 3 feet up generates about 3 to 4 G's.

a drop is freefall zero gee's by definition.
it's the stop that's important.

Square wave, sudden stop. A typical Hard Drive at rest can handle
40Gs.

three feet onto a down cushion coulde be 3 to 4 gees, but is
likely more, three gees isn't enough to unplug a catsup
bottle.

three feet onto a concrete floor or an anvil will be much mo
hundereds to thousands of gees,

Just dropping it a few inches on a hard surface is
many more G's than that.

You aren't very bright at all. Here's some figures for you to
utilize.

here's something to consider

a=dv/dt

it's that simple.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 15 Apr 2007 03:44:43 GMT, jasen Gave us:

three feet onto a down cushion coulde be 3 to 4 gees,

Wrong.

but is
likely more,

Retarded, and wrong.

three gees isn't enough to unplug a catsup
bottle.

No ****. Seems to have uncorked your brain though.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 15 Apr 2007 03:44:43 GMT, jasen Gave us:

three feet onto a concrete floor or an anvil will be much mo
hundereds to thousands of gees,

You're an idiot.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

MassiveProng wrote:
On 15 Apr 2007 03:44:43 GMT, jasen Gave us:

three feet onto a concrete floor or an anvil will be much mo
hundereds to thousands of gees,

You're an idiot.

How many people have to tell you the same exact thing before you get it?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 03:32:24 -0500, "Anthony Fremont"
The abse Crappy Headed Ho gave us:

MassiveProng wrote:
On 15 Apr 2007 03:44:43 GMT, jasen Gave us:

three feet onto a concrete floor or an anvil will be much mo
hundereds to thousands of gees,

You're an idiot.

How many people have to tell you the same exact thing before you get it?

You'r an idiot, you Crappy Headed Ho.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:38:20 -0700, MassiveProng
wrote:

On 15 Apr 2007 03:44:43 GMT, jasen Gave us:

three feet onto a down cushion coulde be 3 to 4 gees,

Wrong.

but is
likely more,

Retarded, and wrong.

For Pete's sake, do the math.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On 15 Apr 2007 03:44:43 GMT, jasen Gave us:

three feet onto a down cushion coulde be 3 to 4 gees,

Wrong.

but is
likely more,

Retarded, and wrong.

For Pete's sake, do the math.

John

Fortunately I'm not seeing some of these posts.

Boring Old Fart Anecdote: once upon a time I did some stuff in consumer
electronics. The Environmental Testing was not what you might expect -
as well as the usual chamber stuff, we had other needs:
we had the "US baggage handler test" which involved our biggest, strongest
guy and a concrete corridor and wall. The "Acceptance test" was to take the
equipment to -20C (-30C? I forget) overnight, then the equipment must "work"
to an acceptable level within 30 minutes in an "office" type environment.

It actually makes sense, once you realise trucking conditions in the US
(before GW ;-) and how pallettes were "accepted" by the (what do you call
them
these days?) franchises/stores. They pull one off the pallette, take it into
the
showroom, plug it in and it _has_ to work or the shipment gets rejected.

I also saw (what I thought was interesting a bit of kit that came back
under
warranty (in a washing machine box).

"We" (ie the company) tested to what "we" thought would be reasonable in
a Consumer Environment. 800G. No failures.

Torn to pieces.

Regards
Ian

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:15:32 +0100, "Ian"
Gave us:

The Environmental Testing was not what you might expect -
as well as the usual chamber stuff, we had other needs:

http://www.gd-computing.com/index.cf...=products:xr-1

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:55:04 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

This is what is being used in smart munitions now. Survives well over
15,000 Gs.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=198800293

I saw this in the
"For comparison, dropping a laptop produces a shock of about 2 to 4 g's. "

Where did they come up with that nonsense? Maybe by dropping it into a box
of styrofoam peanuts. Just dropping it a few inches on a hard surface is
many more G's than that. For only 14,000 G's, they must have crashed their
high-speed ordinance into something fairly soft.

The guidance package isn't expected to survive impact with the target; it
just has to make it through launch. Of course, that could be out of a
cannon. I agree about the laptop, though.

Guidance, yes. But what about a detonator for a penetrator bomb? They
have to break through several steel-reinforced floors, detect some
predetermined condition* and then initiate detonation. Those suckers
must be tough. Nearly as dense as M.P.'s skull. ;-)

*Some just count levels (empty space between floors). Others have side
looking sensors to detect occupants, electronic emmisions or some other
target characteristics.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have a pleasant Terran revolution.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:29:39 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
Gave us:

MassiveProng wrote:
[...]

Said the total ****ing retard that thinks Mexican fought and died
for this country.

*Some just count levels (empty space between floors).

Like the empty space between your ears.

Others have side
looking sensors to detect occupants, electronic emmisions or some other
target characteristics.

Bunker buster bombs are most often set up as pre-programmed
penetrators that have a penetration impact, and then a delay period
before the main charge explodes.

A new way to buy jewelry nelson Home Ownership 0 September 14th 05 12:16 PM
JEWELRY BOX - PDF J T Woodworking 2 August 26th 05 11:10 PM
Jewelry Box Hinges Ray Dunn Woodworking 14 January 3rd 05 04:41 PM
Jewelry box inserts Doug Woodworking 1 January 3rd 05 04:23 PM
HELP - Jewelry Box Liner RonB Woodworking 13 December 15th 04 12:47 AM