Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default `Understanding nomenclenture

Thie is from http://www.techlib.com/Karen.htm#Humnuller
I don't understand the r=RL under the inductor. Then the resistor
after the inductor says 12R-RL (Typ. 5R). I don't see where they
get r, so I don't know what RL is.
Could someone clue me in?
Thanks, Mike

Attached Thumbnails
`Understanding nomenclenture-headphone-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In article ,
"amdx" wrote:

Thie is from http://www.techlib.com/Karen.htm#Humnuller
I don't understand the r=RL under the inductor. Then the resistor
after the inductor says 12R-RL (Typ. 5R). I don't see where they
get r, so I don't know what RL is.
Could someone clue me in?

The resistance of the inductor. Mind you, I don't think much of the
style of this thing (is 7R2 a name, or a value or both? - what a
mish-mash of confusion - especially since there are two with the same
name, if its supposed to be a name!)

Confusing names (or are those values) aside, the intent in the limited
area of the question you ask seems to be to have that segment have a
resistance of 12 (ohms, I guess), so the resistor is chosen to add to
the resistive part of the inductor to achieve that.

Smells like some type of phoolishness, frankly. Headphones don't need
processing...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"amdx" wrote in message
Thie is from http://www.techlib.com/Karen.htm#Humnuller
I don't understand the r=RL under the inductor. Then the resistor
after the inductor says 12R-RL (Typ. 5R).

That means 12 ohms minus the resistance of the coils which is typically 5
ohms.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

So, The dc resistance of the inductor = r = RL.
Then the resistor in series with the inductor
is 12 ohms - the dc resistance of the inductor,
or 12 - r = the resistance of the resistor in series with the inductor.
I got there, but the schematic is poorly written.
Thanks, Mike
PS. The site has some neat things on it.

"amdx" wrote in message
Thie is from http://www.techlib.com/Karen.htm#Humnuller
I don't understand the r=RL under the inductor. Then the resistor
after the inductor says 12R-RL (Typ. 5R). I don't see where they
get r, so I don't know what RL is.
Could someone clue me in?
Thanks, Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

amdx wrote:
Thie is from http://www.techlib.com/Karen.htm#Humnuller
I don't understand the r=RL under the inductor.

Resistance of inductor called RL

Then the resistor after the inductor says 12R-RL

When R appears in a number, it is a decimal point. So this
means 12.0 ohms - resistance of inductor.

(Typ. 5R).

Typically 5.0 ohms.

Input resistance (load on driving amplifier) is about 6.5 ohms.
7.2 ohms goes direct from amplifier to 16 ohm phone.

27 ohm is connected cross channel.