DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   A better mic preamp (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/209402-better-mic-preamp.html)

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 07:28 PM

A better mic preamp

Jim Thompson a écrit :
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:59:59 GMT, "Genome"
wrote:

Genome, Your differential gain is....

10K/re(equivalent)

Or...

10K/re(NPN)*BETA(PNP)

Take re(NPN) = 26

Take BETA(PNP) = 150

Bwaaaahahahahah....

Sorry but you deserved that one.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Jim Thompson March 14th 07 07:34 PM

A better mic preamp

wrote:

Genome, Your differential gain is....

10K/re(equivalent)

Or...

10K/re(NPN)*BETA(PNP)

Take re(NPN) = 26

Take BETA(PNP) = 150

Bwaaaahahahahah....

Sorry but you deserved that one.

Ehhh?

Did you look at Genome's schematic?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Genome[_2_] March 14th 07 07:35 PM

A better mic preamp

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Genome, Your differential gain is....

10K/re(equivalent)

Or...

10K/re(NPN)*BETA(PNP)

Take re(NPN) = 26

Take BETA(PNP) = 150

Your gain is 57.69K or 95dB

That gain also multiplies any offset mismatches :-(

You dig ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--

Well.... Ignoring the NPNs.

Since I was in the realms of Av = gmRL and thinking gm is 1/re and, in the
circuit what I drew has 10K resistors for the op-amps then 10K/re is close
enough for me.

Then since the PNPs are forced to run at 1mA by the NPNs and gm is Ic/26E-3
then re is 26E-3/1E-3 so re(PNP) is 26.....

And then since that is reduced by the BETA of the NPNs of 150 then......

10K*BETA(NPN)/re(PNP)

So, sort of....... apart from I still think you have your PNP/NPN swapped
and your sum has part of it in the wrong place.

Or was I meant to say.

Thanks for clarifying my mistake ;-) ;-) ?

Or am I still wrong because I haven't included extra stuff?

I sort of know about the offset stuff and things what involve other sums I'd
have to guess at.

Ta

DNA

Eeyore March 14th 07 07:37 PM

A better mic preamp

Fred Bartoli wrote:

Jim Thompson a écrit :
"Genome" wrote:

Genome, Your differential gain is....

10K/re(equivalent)

Or...

10K/re(NPN)*BETA(PNP)

Take re(NPN) = 26

Take BETA(PNP) = 150

Bwaaaahahahahah....

Sorry but you deserved that one.

Is idiocy your stock in trade ?

Graham

Jim Thompson March 14th 07 07:57 PM

A better mic preamp

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:35:53 GMT, "Genome"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

I got it backwards... that must be why Bartoli is laughing... swap
NPN-PNP and it's correct. The value is correct though, just the
naming was wrong.

I think NPN diff pairs too much :-(

...Jim Thompson

Eeyore March 14th 07 08:19 PM

A better mic preamp

1 Attachment(s)

Jim Thompson wrote:

I got it backwards... that must be why Bartoli is laughing... swap
NPN-PNP and it's correct. The value is correct though, just the
naming was wrong.

I think NPN diff pairs too much :-(

I thought that's what you meant.

The beta of those NPNs is somewhat higher than 150 though. 420 minimum from the
data sheet. BC850 is the SMT version of a BC550 btw.

Graham

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 08:42 PM

A better mic preamp

Eeyore a écrit :

Fred Bartoli wrote:

Jim Thompson a écrit :
"Genome" wrote:

Genome, Your differential gain is....

10K/re(equivalent)

Or...

10K/re(NPN)*BETA(PNP)

Take re(NPN) = 26

Take BETA(PNP) = 150

Bwaaaahahahahah....

Sorry but you deserved that one.

Is idiocy your stock in trade ?

I surely wasn't expecting you to be able to understand that.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 08:46 PM

A better mic preamp

wrote:

Genome, Your differential gain is....

10K/re(equivalent)

Or...

10K/re(NPN)*BETA(PNP)

Take re(NPN) = 26

Take BETA(PNP) = 150

Bwaaaahahahahah....

Sorry but you deserved that one.

Ehhh?

Did you look at Genome's schematic?

Yep. But there's a 680R somewhere and only 1.5mA of collector current
for the 3904s.
I won't tell more, I know you understand.

But just ask Eeyore to explain this new idiocy of mine :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 08:49 PM

A better mic preamp

Eeyore a écrit :

Jim Thompson wrote:

I got it backwards... that must be why Bartoli is laughing... swap
NPN-PNP and it's correct. The value is correct though, just the
naming was wrong.

Nope. Not the NPN vs PNP swap, which I overlooked too.

I think NPN diff pairs too much :-(

I thought that's what you meant.

The beta of those NPNs is somewhat higher than 150 though. 420 minimum from the
data sheet. BC850 is the SMT version of a BC550 btw.

Even with a 10K beta it won't change a dime.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Genome[_2_] March 14th 07 08:55 PM

A better mic preamp

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

I got it backwards... that must be why Bartoli is laughing... swap
NPN-PNP and it's correct. The value is correct though, just the
naming was wrong.

I think NPN diff pairs too much :-(

...Jim Thompson

I still don't think you are spilling the full tin of beans but since all
those circuits like wot you learned them in the old days were upside down
before someone else discovered the NPN transistor it's probably an easy
mistake to make.

That Bartoli bloke sounds a bit Eyetalian to me so he probably has no
problem making the adjustment..... you know, tanks and gears and stuff.

DNA

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 09:19 PM

A better mic preamp

Genome a écrit :
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I got it backwards... that must be why Bartoli is laughing... swap
NPN-PNP and it's correct. The value is correct though, just the
naming was wrong.

I think NPN diff pairs too much :-(

...Jim Thompson

I still don't think you are spilling the full tin of beans but since all
those circuits like wot you learned them in the old days were upside down
before someone else discovered the NPN transistor it's probably an easy
mistake to make.

That Bartoli bloke sounds a bit Eyetalian to me so he probably has no
problem making the adjustment..... you know, tanks and gears and stuff.

One thing you could do to improve CMRR is to reference your U1 & U2
positive inputs to the Q1/Q2 emitters. (the output conductance of Q1/Q2
is multiplied by the Q3/Q4 stage current gain (eh Graham, it's not Q3/Q4
beta) and will thus be much lower than the common bases Q9/Q10 output
conductance.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Jim Thompson March 14th 07 09:20 PM

A better mic preamp

wrote:

Genome, Your differential gain is....

10K/re(equivalent)

Or...

10K/re(NPN)*BETA(PNP)

Take re(NPN) = 26

Take BETA(PNP) = 150

Bwaaaahahahahah....

Sorry but you deserved that one.

Ehhh?

Did you look at Genome's schematic?

Yep. But there's a 680R somewhere and only 1.5mA of collector current
for the 3904s.
I won't tell more, I know you understand.

But just ask Eeyore to explain this new idiocy of mine :-)

Hmmm?

I see Q5 sourcing 5mA.

I see Q10 and Q9 sinking 2.5mA each. Yes?

Q1 and Q2 nominally get 1mA each, due to the 680 ohm resistors.

So there 1.5mA available for Q3 and Q4 each.

I don't see a problem.

Maybe I'm overlooking one??

Point me to it.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson March 14th 07 09:27 PM

A better mic preamp

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:19:32 +0100, Fred Bartoli
r_AndThisToo wrote:

Genome a écrit :
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Huh? A drinking Eyetalian ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 09:29 PM

A better mic preamp

wrote:

[...]

What's the 680R doing on the NPN _stage_ current gain?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 09:31 PM

A better mic preamp

Jim Thompson a écrit :
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:19:32 +0100, Fred Bartoli
r_AndThisToo wrote:

Genome a écrit :
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Maybe you didn't enough? :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Jim Thompson March 14th 07 09:38 PM

A better mic preamp

wrote:

[...]

Aha! An amateur.

You tell _me_ what it's doing ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Genome[_2_] March 14th 07 09:39 PM

A better mic preamp

"Fred Bartoli"
r_AndThisToo wrote in
message ...
Genome a écrit :
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Is the correct answer..... Oh Right?

Or is it I should be looking at the re for both transistors?

'Yep. But there's a 680R somewhere and only 1.5mA of collector current for
the 3904s. I won't tell more, I know you understand.'

Well there you go!

I said I was wrong and I knew that thing I was doing for ratio mirrors
instead of Q3/Q4 and setting the gain with I1 was the right way to go!

Um, if I reference U1 and U2 to the emitters of Q1 and Q2 don't they force
no volts across......

Never mind.

DNA

Jim Thompson March 14th 07 09:41 PM

A better mic preamp

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:31:16 +0100, Fred Bartoli
r_AndThisToo wrote:

Jim Thompson a écrit :
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:19:32 +0100, Fred Bartoli
r_AndThisToo wrote:

Genome a écrit :
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I guarantee that I drink more than you. Ask Spehro about my famous
"grow hair in your throat" martinis.

Spehro, now improved...

5 parts Sake
2 parts Frangelico
7 parts Vodka
2 parts R/O water ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 09:47 PM

A better mic preamp

wrote:

[...]

Aha! Finally speeding up :-)
Yep, max effective current gain is only 38, down to 30-35 with realistic
betas.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Fred Bartoli March 14th 07 10:39 PM

A better mic preamp

Genome a écrit :
"Fred Bartoli"
r_AndThisToo wrote in
message ...
Genome a écrit :
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Not at all. I certainly don't want anybody to take anybody else words,
including me, for granted.

Or is it I should be looking at the re for both transistors?

'Yep. But there's a 680R somewhere and only 1.5mA of collector current for
the 3904s. I won't tell more, I know you understand.'

Just trying to not give the full answer upfront.

Well there you go!

That wasn't directed towards you, but to Jim, given the tone of some of
his recent posts. It's a pretty basic mistake for an IC designer, thus
my laugh.

The NPN stage current gain is at best gm(NPN)*680R = 38
Accounting for the NPNs finite beta (parallel beta(NPN)/gm(NPN) with the
680R) this is rather 30-35.

I said I was wrong and I knew that thing I was doing for ratio mirrors
instead of Q3/Q4 and setting the gain with I1 was the right way to go!

You were almost right. U1/U2 output bias might be worth a look WRT
current mirrors Vbe and degeneration resistors mismatch.

Um, if I reference U1 and U2 to the emitters of Q1 and Q2 don't they force
no volts across......

Never mind.

Well, sorry I was a bit fast. I should have said AC reference the opamps
inputs to the emitters. Obviously you'll have to keep some bias there
:-) Say 3V.
The point is: force no AC voltage across the diff pair instead of across
the Q9/Q10 current sources will improve CMRR. Q1/Q2 output conductances
aren't matched and neither are R14-R15 or R8-R9.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Eeyore March 14th 07 10:46 PM

A better mic preamp

Fred Bartoli wrote:

Genome a écrit :
"Jim Thompson wrote

[...]

Jim said it was that actually. I was simply correcting his assumption of a beta
of 150. I can see there's more going on there but I haven't analysed it to my
satisfaction yet. Obviously you have to take into account delta Vbe of Q3 and Q4
which adds to the delta Ic of Q1 and Q2. So the effective current gain is less
than beta. By a decent margin I suspect. Low Rbb would help here too btw.

Graham

Eeyore March 14th 07 10:49 PM

A better mic preamp

Jim Thompson wrote:

Fred Bartoli wrote:
Jim Thompson a écrit :
Fred Bartoli wrote:
Jim Thompson a écrit :
"Genome" wrote:

[...]

I see no problem either.

Incidentally, the effective re works out in practice to be about an ohm or so.

Graham

Eeyore March 14th 07 10:52 PM

A better mic preamp

Jim Thompson wrote:

Fred Bartoliwrote:
Jim Thompson a écrit :

I don't see a problem.

Maybe I'm overlooking one??

Point me to it.

What's the 680R doing on the NPN _stage_ current gain?

Aha! An amateur.

You tell _me_ what it's doing ;-)

He's pointing out that there isn't a perfect constant current flowing through
them.

Graham

Genome[_2_] March 14th 07 10:54 PM

A better mic preamp

"Fred Bartoli"
r_AndThisToo wrote in
message ...
Genome a écrit :
"Fred Bartoli"
r_AndThisToo wrote in
message ...
Genome a écrit :
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
[...]

Sure.... but I know you are really French and therefore working with Jim to
confuse us British people to score the Trident contract.

Win did all this stuff in AoE and he is a well known Canadian.

And you still haven't scored the recipe for the right gravy to go with
tripe.

See, not so clever now are you.

DNA

Genome[_2_] March 14th 07 11:12 PM

A better mic preamp

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Genome wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
.
seen
volume production in commercial equipment.

Feel free to ask any questions / criticise whatever.

Here you go...... Listening to the criticism that others are giving you
I'd
do something like this. As to wether I've got it right is another matter.

I'd also claim that U1 and U2 also cascode the input stage improving
bandwidth.

That's an interesting design.

Graham

No it isn't.

You think you look sexy in Y-fronts because you've seen Charlie Sheen in
them.

DNA

Jim Thompson March 14th 07 11:20 PM

A better mic preamp

wrote:

[...]

Aha! An anomaly!

In simulation, I get an "Alpha" of 0.997 (Iout/Iin), which is
equivalent to a composite Beta of 332. But simulation of Zout looks
like around 3 ohms.

That certainly is not what I expected.

I tried to do an exact solution, but it's nastily transcendental :-(

Time for a glass of wine ;-)

(It would appear to be the shunting input impedance on the NPN stage,
yet replacing the 680 ohm with an ideal current source still has an
error I can't account for.)

Time for another glass of wine... BURP ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Eeyore March 14th 07 11:23 PM

A better mic preamp

Fred Bartoli wrote:

The NPN stage current gain is at best gm(NPN)*680R = 38

Ah you're using 1.5mA for Ic !

Accounting for the NPNs finite beta (parallel beta(NPN)/gm(NPN) with the
680R) this is rather 30-35.

To be honest with a beta of 400 min I don't see a reduction as large as that.

Graham

Jim Thompson March 15th 07 02:15 AM

A better mic preamp - CompoundTransistor.pdf

1 Attachment(s)
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:20:56 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:47:56 +0100, Fred Bartoli
fred._canxxxel_this_bartoli@RemoveThatAlso_free. fr_AndThisToo wrote:

[snip]

Aha! Finally speeding up :-)
Yep, max effective current gain is only 38, down to 30-35 with realistic
betas.

Aha! An anomaly!

In simulation, I get an "Alpha" of 0.997 (Iout/Iin), which is
equivalent to a composite Beta of 332. But simulation of Zout looks
like around 3 ohms.

That certainly is not what I expected.

I tried to do an exact solution, but it's nastily transcendental :-(

Time for a glass of wine ;-)

(It would appear to be the shunting input impedance on the NPN stage,
yet replacing the 680 ohm with an ideal current source still has an
error I can't account for.)

Time for another glass of wine... BURP ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Attached.

Another glass of wine will do it every time.

Optimization left to the student ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Genome[_2_] March 15th 07 03:02 AM

wrote:

[...]

Do yourself a flavo(u)r

Tadpole Technology.

Software is **** but now we have to stream our **** so you may as well
stream your **** efficiently.

Winky Winky.

DYOR Up and down stuff and whatever.

DNA

John Larkin March 15th 07 04:30 AM

A better mic preamp

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:38:22 +0000, Eeyore

volume production in commercial equipment.

Feel free to ask any questions / criticise whatever.

Graham

Love those 1N4148 Reference Noise Generators.

John

Fred Bartoli March 15th 07 08:09 AM

r_AndThisToo wrote:

[...]

Yes but:
*** the process you use is very nice to you since it kindly make
identical NPN and PNP betas; (going to the trouble of such a calculation
supposes you pretend to some accuracy(significance of beta/(beta+1)), at
any rate more than any possible beta matching) I tend to prefer simpler
equations which don't obscur the physical meaning:
Zin = reP /(RB.gmN+1)

*** then you can get a deeper by noticing that gm(PNP) is linked to RB,
i.e. to the NPN apparent beta, giving:
Zin = kT/q * RB/VBE /(RB.gmN+1)
or
Zin = kT/(q.VBE) 1/(gmN+1/RB)
which, with reasonable RB values give Zin almost not depending on RB
Zin = kT/(q.VBE.gmN)

With the usual values that is
Zin = 40/gmN (with gm in mA/V)

Since gm is linked to Ic (gm=Ic.q/kT), Zin expresses in a very simple
manner:
Zin = (kT/q)^2/(VBE.Ic)
but (kT/q)^2/VBE is remarkably close to 1mV (1.028mV for VBE=0.65V).

Then
Zin = 1/Ic(NPN) (with Ic in mA)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Fred Bartoli March 15th 07 08:17 AM

A better mic preamp

Eeyore a écrit :

Fred Bartoli wrote:

The NPN stage current gain is at best gm(NPN)*680R = 38

Ah you're using 1.5mA for Ic !

Accounting for the NPNs finite beta (parallel beta(NPN)/gm(NPN) with the
680R) this is rather 30-35.

To be honest with a beta of 400 min I don't see a reduction as large as that.

With beta = 400 that is: apparent beta = 35.9
with beta = 800 that is: apparent beta = 37.6

QED.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Eeyore March 15th 07 09:45 AM

A better mic preamp

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

volume production in commercial equipment.

Feel free to ask any questions / criticise whatever

Love those 1N4148 Reference Noise Generators.

How much do you think they leak ?They're shunted by the source Z of course.

The reason they're there is to deal with 'hot plugging' microphones when phantom
power is on. Without them you take out the input devices instead.

What do you reckon the 4R7s are for ?

Graham

Eeyore March 15th 07 10:17 AM

A better mic preamp

Fred Bartoli wrote:

Eeyore a écrit :
Fred Bartoli wrote:

The NPN stage current gain is at best gm(NPN)*680R = 38

Ah you're using 1.5mA for Ic !

Accounting for the NPNs finite beta (parallel beta(NPN)/gm(NPN) with the
680R) this is rather 30-35.

To be honest with a beta of 400 min I don't see a reduction as large as that.

With beta = 400 that is: apparent beta = 35.9
with beta = 800 that is: apparent beta = 37.6

Exactly, not as low as 30-35.

Graham

Fred Bartoli March 15th 07 10:48 AM

A better mic preamp

Eeyore a écrit :

Fred Bartoli wrote:

Eeyore a écrit :
Fred Bartoli wrote:

The NPN stage current gain is at best gm(NPN)*680R = 38
Ah you're using 1.5mA for Ic !

Accounting for the NPNs finite beta (parallel beta(NPN)/gm(NPN) with the
680R) this is rather 30-35.
To be honest with a beta of 400 min I don't see a reduction as large as that.

With beta = 400 that is: apparent beta = 35.9
with beta = 800 that is: apparent beta = 37.6

Exactly, not as low as 30-35.

That was for the 100-300 range that the 2n3904 Genome used give.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Eeyore March 15th 07 11:17 AM

A better mic preamp

Fred Bartoli wrote:

Eeyore a écrit :
Fred Bartoli wrote
Eeyore a écrit :
Fred Bartoli wrote:

The NPN stage current gain is at best gm(NPN)*680R = 38
Ah you're using 1.5mA for Ic !

Accounting for the NPNs finite beta (parallel beta(NPN)/gm(NPN) with the
680R) this is rather 30-35.
To be honest with a beta of 400 min I don't see a reduction as large as that.
With beta = 400 that is: apparent beta = 35.9
with beta = 800 that is: apparent beta = 37.6

Exactly, not as low as 30-35.

That was for the 100-300 range that the 2n3904 Genome used give.

Understood.

Graham

Jim Thompson March 15th 07 01:21 PM

A better mic preamp - CompoundTransistor.pdf

r_AndThisToo wrote:

[...]

Wasn't sure what I'd find that would be of significance.

*** then you can get a deeper by noticing that gm(PNP) is linked to RB,
i.e. to the NPN apparent beta, giving:
Zin = kT/q * RB/VBE /(RB.gmN+1)
or
Zin = kT/(q.VBE) 1/(gmN+1/RB)
which, with reasonable RB values give Zin almost not depending on RB
Zin = kT/(q.VBE.gmN)

With the usual values that is
Zin = 40/gmN (with gm in mA/V)

Since gm is linked to Ic (gm=Ic.q/kT), Zin expresses in a very simple
manner:
Zin = (kT/q)^2/(VBE.Ic)
but (kT/q)^2/VBE is remarkably close to 1mV (1.028mV for VBE=0.65V).

Then
Zin = 1/Ic(NPN) (with Ic in mA)

I don't follow your slang, "you can get a deeper", nor your equations.

I'll take a look after I drop a granddaughter at the airport. She's
off to the hinterlands for a college interview.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson March 15th 07 01:30 PM

A better mic preamp

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:17:27 +0100, Fred Bartoli
r_AndThisToo wrote:

Eeyore a écrit :

Fred Bartoli wrote:

The NPN stage current gain is at best gm(NPN)*680R = 38

gm*R is a CURRENT gain??

Ah you're using 1.5mA for Ic !

Eeyore March 15th 07 01:38 PM

A better mic preamp

Jim Thompson wrote:

Fred Bartoli wrote:
Eeyore a écrit :

Fred Bartoli wrote:

The NPN stage current gain is at best gm(NPN)*680R = 38

gm*R is a CURRENT gain??

Current gain is unitless (amps/amps).

gm is amps/volts and R is volts/amps. So the result is unitless. So yes.

Graham

Jim Thompson March 15th 07 01:47 PM

r_AndThisToo wrote:

[...]

So you presumed Beta(PNP) is infinite?