Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT HS2 site entrances and muddy roads?

An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at
one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Didn't think they'd even started on phase 1 to Birmingham yet, let alone
the phase 2a/2b

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at
one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

Replacing pylon wiring? they like scaffolding in isolated places for
that ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Suppose it could be soil surveys for HS2
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/02/2018 19:31, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Didn't think they'd even started on phase 1 to Birmingham yet, let alone
the phase 2a/2b

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at
one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

Replacing pylon wiring? they like scaffolding in isolated places for
that ...

That was my other though as that is what it looks like. But I cannot see
any pylons nearby. These roads are not the sort of places you can pull
up on to take photos.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Didn't think they'd even started on phase 1 to Birmingham yet, let alone
the phase 2a/2b

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at
one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

Replacing pylon wiring? they like scaffolding in isolated places for
that ...

The first thing that made me think of HS2 is that I am working at a lot
of now empty properties that are going to be demolished when/if HS2 is
built. Mainly around the M1/M18 corridor.

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20-Feb-18 7:18 PM, ARW wrote:
An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at
one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

A wind farm?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/02/2018 19:53, Nightjar wrote:
On 20-Feb-18 7:18 PM, ARW wrote:
An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at
one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

A wind farm?

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly
to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site
is an individual site.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 19:18:55 +0000, ARW wrote:

An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

A new gas supply main? They seem to take forever to put in and run for
many miles

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at
one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

Can't explain this bit though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2018 19:18, ARW wrote:
An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Fracking?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your local council should be told, when anyone starts a major project their
permission usually includes cleaning up of public highways of mud and
anything else that may cause danger or indeed damage to the road or people
travelling down it. they will have had to make an application for a route to
the site to avoid certain roads etc. At least that is what happened around
here.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARW" wrote in message
An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to fields
and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at one
of the sites right in the middle of a field.

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20-Feb-18 7:18 PM, ARW wrote:
An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at
one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

A wind farm?

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly
to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site
is an individual site.

The Thorpe Marsh - West Melton 275kV lines cross the A1 and then run close to
Hampole. It could be preparations for a conductor restringing and/or tower
replacements. Will check and see if anything is scheduled.

Other than that how about fracking seismic testing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20-Feb-18 7:18 PM, ARW wrote:
An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days
at one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

A wind farm?

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly
to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site
is an individual site.

The offshore wind farm at Worthing involved laying around 30km of
underground cabling. There were site entrances spread along the whole
length of the run.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20-Feb-18 7:18 PM, ARW wrote:
An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days
at one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

A wind farm?

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly
to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site
is an individual site.

The offshore wind farm at Worthing involved laying around 30km of
underground cabling. There were site entrances spread along the whole
length of the run.

Looked again this morning going in the other direction and with a bit of
daylight.

Well some of the scaffold is for a pylon. It was just by the time I saw
the scaffold yesterday the pylon was behind me. Some of the other
entrances do not look to be near pylons. However a look at Google sat
images suggests that this is actually the closest entry point (without
building bridges or chopping down trees) to the pylons as they are in
the middle of nowhere.

The first site entrance is actually down the track on this Google maps link.

https://goo.gl/maps/WFfPNszraCE2

That is right on the HS2 suggested route but there are pylons down at
the end of that track.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

The first site entrance is actually down the track on this Google maps link.

https://goo.gl/maps/WFfPNszraCE2

That is right on the HS2 suggested route but there are pylons down at
the end of that track.

Seems about right ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20-Feb-18 7:18 PM, ARW wrote:
An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to
fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2
proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days
at one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

A wind farm?

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly
to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site
is an individual site.

The offshore wind farm at Worthing involved laying around 30km of
underground cabling. There were site entrances spread along the whole
length of the run.

We were lucky here. Only about 2km between where the cables came onshore
and where they had to go (taking an under-road route). They did it twice,
second time to add more cable.

Unfortunately it was my road to work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:07:49 +0000, ARW wrote:

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly
to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site
is an individual site.

Confirmed it's the 400kV line from Thorpe Marsh to Stalybridge.

Conductor replacement.

End of works is around September
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/02/2018 22:32, The Other Mike wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:07:49 +0000, ARW wrote:

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly
to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site
is an individual site.

Confirmed it's the 400kV line from Thorpe Marsh to Stalybridge.

Conductor replacement.

End of works is around September

An expensive rewire.

--