Fly-by-Night CC

Default Are The Black Walnut Trees I Have Worth Anything?

In article .com,
wrote:

I've heard all of the rumors, but need to know, from a reliable source.
I have 4 trees, that I want to remove, all in excellent shape. 3 are
8-10 in diameter, 1 is 20-24. I don't want to do it myself. Thanks, for
any and all help. Live in SW Michigan.

Practically speaking, the ¾10" trees aren't worth the effort and loss in
cutting them. The sap wood accounts for about 2" or more of the diameter
and then you're left with the unusable pith area of an inch or so - that
only leaves 3.5" on each side of the pith.

The 24" tree is more reasonable and usable, but not quite "there" yet as
far as valuable Walnut is concerned. This one needs another foot of
diameter to really become something. Here in Oregon there are several 4'
diameter yard trees I'd love to have - and am keeping a keen eye on any
activity around them that looks to be on the order of removing them.

I hope you don't take my comments as a go-ahead to cut them down due to
worthlessness. Consider them as you would any asset with an appreciating
future value greater than today's. I would certainly like these trees
growing in my own property.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05