Doctor Drivel

Default whole house DIY-ish air con ?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone done anything like whole house DIY-ish air con ?
For example, air con unit in loft (meaty one), vents in roof,
DIY ducting around house, to air condition the main rooms of the house.
It strikes me this might be easier than those through-the-wall units in
one or two rooms. Bung a duct down unused chimney breast etc. Might
need booster pumps due to large ducting lengths. Any thoughts ?
Simon.

Why? There is no need for a/c in the UK if:

- insulation is added (cavity wall, 300mm in the loft)
- the place made more air-tight
- adequate shading in summer (awnings, shutters, deciduous trees, etc)
- adequate ventilation, taking in cooler air from the north side.
- ect

a./c "costs" to run maintain. What you could do is the above points and add
a heat recovery and vent system. But the house must be pretty air tight,
otherwise you are venting twice.

We just don't have the climate for a/c. In other countries no matter what
you do they will need a/c. We just don't have those climates and a cool
building can be had by using a variety of other means.