Colbyt

Default Roof leaks only during heavy rain

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here in the NYC area we have had continuous rain for about the past 6-7
days. Just to give you an idea, on the radio this morning they said the
last time we got this much rain was back in 1913.
Anyway, a leak in my kitchen ceiling prompted me to go into the attic
to find where the roof was leaking. While I did find the spot, I could
not find anywhere on the roof that would lead me to believe there was a
problem. This is a regular sloped asphalt shingle roof about 10-15
years old which was put on top of the existing roof.
I've never had leaks before, this is the first time I noticed a
problem. Is it normal to get leaks during prolonged heavy rain with a
NE wind? Also, could the leak be actually coming from someplace else on
the roof and traveling to the spot I see in the attic?

I read the thread and looked at your pics. I would suggest a very careful
inspection of the valley area where the two roofs meet. Water could be
entering there any traveling along the felt or first layer of shingles. The
angle gravity factored in is about right for that to happen. Valleys and
other flashings are frequent leak points when a nail over has been done.
That is the best reason to never do a nail over.

Colbyt