Lobster

Chris Bacon wrote:

Go into the BM, tell them what you're likely to spend per month,
ask for a cash card. TP or Jewson's certainly would issue them
to all comers a year or three ago. You might have to fill in a
short form. Getting an account is a bit difficult.

TP still certainly do a trade card
(see http://www.trademate.co.uk/Accounts/TCCInfo.asp)
I have one; it gives me 20-30% off list automatically (ie without having
to do the "wot's yer best price fer..." dance). However, list prices are
so high that this is still very uncompetitive - Screwfix et al are way
cheaper. They'll always negotiate on individual purchases, but it's
about how much you can blag it, and significantly, how much business you
put their way.

Catch 22, of course, as I said to the salesman last time I was in; I'm
not about to start spending loads of extra cash at TP in the hope that
in a few months they might condescend to raise my discount level.

The one good thing about a TP trade card is that it affords free delivery.

Anyway, I loathe the place and use it only when I can't find something
unusual at Wickes or Screwfix (or if I want a ton of sand delivered!).
Being a BM of course nothing is priced so you have to ask; and your
invoice gives no clue as to the level of discount you've been given.
You can get list prices off their website, however.

Where else... I have trade accounts at Howden's - just told them I was
setting up in business; think they might have asked my bank for a
reference (and I only have a personal account). Also Plumbcenter; never
use it as it's quite like TP. I get trade at a local one-man plumber's
merchant though; just by going in there enough I think I'm just now
established as a 'regular'!

David

The projects I need the discounts for are
- TILING (Topps Tiles offer %40 off their bulk prices)
- Bathroom (seems plumbcenter is what people recomend)
- Flooring (carpet..not sure about who/where for this

No idea about them, also I've never used "plumbcenter" as
a) I don't know where there is one, and b) the name.

In terms of previous posts, I have already noted the screwfix and
wickes can offer good prices depending..

Yup. I wouldn't bother with all the subterfuge of getting
dirty, it'll get you nowhere. If you are worried you
might be refused, go into a non-local branch and ask.