Default What size fascia board?

I am building a detached garage and want the appearance of 6" fascia
board. Will be using vented vinyl soffit that is about 1/2" (maybe
more) in height. To take advantage of the 6" aluminum fascia cover,
should I use 2x4 fascia so that the J of the aluminum fascia cover can
accomodate the vinyle soffit? If I used 2x6 it seems the aluminum
might not completely cover it and allow for the vinyl soffit. I am
worried about the aluminum not having enough surface area support,
although I guess that would only be an inch or so of unsupport.