gk

The rule is you can only run one circuit or feeder to a second
building. You will either be stuck with a sub panel (ground rods,
disconnect etc) or you could run a 20a 240v (3 wire + ground) circuit
and split it out into 2 multiwire 120v circuuits that also share the
250v load (hold your nose legal) and use GFCI receptacles in the shed.
That will limit you to about 11a per 120v circuit since your heater
pulls 8.3. If you just want a light and some occasional power tool use
that may be fine.
The heater and lights do not need to be GFCI but a direct bury cable
would have to be 24" down. Wire in conduit can be 18".
120v 15 or 20a GFCI protected circuits can be 12" down
Frost heaving might make all this moot anyway. You might need to be
below the frost line. I don't know much about things that happen below
freezing.

I appreciate the input. I admit I didnt know about this rule. You got
me stressd out a bit, so I actually found the NEC online. It doesn't let
you cut and paste, but basically, rule 225.30 states that there is only
to be one feeder or brnach circuit to each structure on a property,
"unless permitted in 225.30(A)though(E). Subsection (D) states that
"Additional feeders or branch circuits shall be permitted for different
voltages, frequencies, or pahses or for different uses such as control
of outside lighting from multiple locations."

This would seem to apply to me, since I need 120V and 240V. I feel much
more comfortable using two feeder circuits for my applications than
using a multiwire branch circuit and running 120V and 240V off that same
circuit, as you mentioned (I didnt know this was possible, but I guess
it is always an option). Thanks.