RBM

If the heater is hard wired, it doesn't need GFCI protection (NEC)
"chester" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
If you decide to connect your heater with a cord and outlet, even 240
volt, it will require GFCI protection as well

Yeah well, the heater will be hard-wired in, not on an outlet. I dont
think it will sepcificaly require GFCI, but I am not sure. I guess this
issue is that accessory structures may be limited in general to one
breaker off the main panel, which is the problem now, since I want a 240V
heater (not 120) and so need either two lines/breakers, or a sub-panel. I
had orignially been considering a subpanel, but was steered away from that
idea by some people. I suppose code could be different here (in seattle)
but I dont really know. Guess I better check on it.

I guess my choices are

-keep it the same and not worry about it (what is the harm in having two
circuits off the main panel?
-change the heater to 120V, deal with smaller heating capacity, and use
the two wires I have already started running (they are not underground) to
one dual 20A circuit
-change the wiring to 10/3 w/g and run a 30A subpanel, wasting the $44 I
spent on 250ft of 12/2 w/g and the time under the house

dunno what sbest

All outlets in the shed WILL be GFCI protected. They will run off the
GFCI outlet from the house, which will protect the whole circuit
downstream.