Rick

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:10:39 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , news@pen-y-
geulan.com says...
snip
Answer for hole 1 - say a window sized hole
I do this in stages, I build the wall neer the top, say 1 brick away,
and let be for a day. THis stops it all moving as you mess arround in
the next step.
Next put in a final row of blocks, with a ridge of mortar at the back,
the ridge does not have to be neet, let it be a day
finally push mortar tight into the last bit of gap, the bits of ridge
of mortar you left will stop the stuff pushing straight through.

Answer for hole 2 = use final 2 steps for hole 1.

Finally I reckon a pro will do this differently.

I don't know about pros, but I've thought of maybe using a bit of UPVC
plaster bead or similar wedged around the edge of the hole to stop the
mortar from falling through the back.

When you fill in the bulk of the hole, in the first stage I descibe,
you can use your hand - with appropriate protective gloves. The harder
bits are when you get to the top ......