George E. Cawthon

Guy Scharf wrote:
I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Thanks!

Guy

The obvious answer is a hack saw, a good blade
does it fast. But a bolt cutter does it a lot
faster. Get an 18" bolt cutter from Harbor
Freight ($7 when on sale). Fast and good for
anything upto 1/4." I've used it on wire 2x4"
fabric which I think is about 12 or 10 gauge and
you hardly know when you cut.

If you have somebody to help hold the stuff an
angle grinder would work very fast. Forget the
sawsall, even a hand hack saw will be easier for
one person.