Bill

"DanG" wrote in message

...If the rafters are 2x4, it must be a fairly old structure. What
worries me is that they may be trusses. DO NOT CUT A TRUSS.
Get further input and advice.

I did just that, got further advice. I took pictures of everything and took
them to my building inspector...

I told him I had the option of cutting the rafter if I wanted my chimney to
go straight up from the wood stove, or using a 15 deg. or 30 deg. pair of
elbows up in the attic (max bend recommended by the chimney manufacturer)
to re-direct the chimney to come out between the rafters. I asked what to
do?

He said *DO NOT* cut the rafter!

Then he came up with a third idea. He said he preferred a pair of 15 deg.
elbows (not 30 deg.) and to place these elbows at the wood stove, not
higher up, or in the attic. He said it was better to place elbows lower
down rather than higher up.

This will save me money as the pipe coming out of the stove is single wall
and elbows at this location will be much less expensive than using Selkirk
s.s. insulated chimney elbows in the attic.

He also looked pleased that I was asking for advice in *advance* rather
than going ahead and doing the wrong thing, then having to fix my mistakes
after inspection.

So thanks for the advice to "get more advice"! This will be a lot less
work, less worry, and less cost. Can't beat that!