Set Square

Grumble wrote:

Very flash, I haven't seen spindles like that before. Do they come
pre-cut to size and you fit the handrail accordingly? I wouldn't like
to have to cut each one. How about the spindles on the landing, would
they be the same length as the stairs?

Grumble

It's Burbidge's Fusion system, and comes in chrome or gold finish - with the
wood in a choice of pine, beech or oak. You can get pine spindles, too -
rather than metal if you prefer.

The spindles are supplied at a fixed length - with the end fixings attached.
The landing spindles are longer, and their fixings are perpendicular -
whereas the stair fixings are angled - and slightly flexible to accommodate
a range of stair gradients.

To get the handrail at the right height for the spindles, you have to cut
the old bottom newel off in the right place - although you could shorten the
new top section of the bottom newel a bit if necessary. The bracket for the
top end of the handrail fits round the top newel - so you slide it up and
down to suit.

This is what it looks like from the top:
http://www.mills37.plus.com/stairs.jpg

And, for good measure, this is what it used to look like:
http://www.mills37.plus.com/before-up.jpg
--
Cheers,
Set Square