Savvy 1

wrote in message
ups.com...
My Stihl 021 chain saw has always been hard to start when it's cold.
Now it doesn't start at all, but it will kick if I shoot starting fluid
into the carburetor. The local repair shop didn't even look at it.
Just said the carburetor's gummed up and they'll be happy to replace it
for $175. Astronomical, in my opinion. I suspect that this is a
reasonably simple engine to repair and am willing to attempt to correct
the problem myself. I'm guessing that the job will require checking
and cleaning out the fuel system, but beyond that I need some
suggestions. Please let me know what ideas you may have that will help
me get this done. Thanks.

You can solve a lot of small engine problems with a new spark plug and
opening up as much of the carburetor as you can get at and spraying at least
half a can of Gumout or other carb cleaner up in there. If it's hard to get
it open, try just removing (gently now) the carb needle valves (don't lose
the spring) and blow the cleaner up in there--- then let it drain out and
dry. Reset the valves to factory spec. If none available, turn them in very
gently until they seat, then back out about 1 or 1 and a half turns.

If it works, you've got a $5 fix.

S1