Duane Bozarth

I'm at a loss. I can't figure out why my gas bill is as high as it is,
while my neighbor's bills are MUCH lower.

So my gas bill last month was $101 and my neighbor's bills average $25.
I don't know what to do next. The only thing left to try is replacing
the water heater but I can't imagine that it is even capable of using
that much gas.

The NIPSCO guy shut the water heater off for 20 minutes and checked the
meter. No gas was used.

Well, DOH! What are you waiting for? An old, inefficient burner
combined with a sizable poorly insulated tank could account for a lot.

Also, you could be leaking hot water somewhere and that's keeping the
heater running more than it should.

...When I relight the water heater
I'm going to see how much it consumes over X amount of time in case
it's a leak after the shut off valve.

You said the gas co checked for leaks and didn't find any already. If
there were a leak of such size as you're noting, the place would have
blown up already. The testers they use find ppm quantities so a sizable
leak would have awakened the dead.