G Henslee

SQLit wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am renovating an 1870s house in MA and started by gutting a small
bedroom on the 2nd floor. After insulating, I plan to install blueboard
with veneer plaster. I have read DIY books, Building codes and these
discussion groups but I cant figure out whether I need 5/8" or 1/2"
blueboard. I guess it depends on local building codes and where the
room is located, but I am wondering what the rule of thumb is? 1/2"
blueboard is readily available, while I would need to go to a
commercial dealer to get 5/8". Which brings up another
question....does 1/2" blueboard/sheetrock plus the 1/8" veneer count as
the 5/8? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Where I live 5/8 is used on both sides of a wall for a fire wall. Like
between the garage and the home.

1/2 is used for all other applications. Unless your local authority has a
requirement for "blue board" I would only use it when it was near water or
high humidity, like the kitchen or bathroom.

No half inch with a coat of plaster is not considered 5/8 where I live.

Best check with the building gurus where you live.

Note: The IRC allows 1/2" now instead of 5/8" on a firewall. However
your state may not have adopted the IBC yet.