william_b_noble

you are doing it wrong if you want thing walls on bowls. Try it this way:
1start with a nice piece of freshly cut ash. (I choose this wood for a good
reason, keep reading)
2 turn your bowl, leaving walls about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick - get the outer
wall to the final shape.
3. put a bright light behind the ash
4. turn from the top edge towards the bottom - go about 1 inch max - turn it
thinner and thnner until you see the light
5. stop and see how thick it is - start up again and turn thinner, keeping
uniform light - stop and measure occasionally
6. when it's the thickness you want, memorize how the light looks, and
proceed to turn down the next segment (1 inch max) to match the luminance.
blend so you don't see the line (by luminance)
7. proceed this way to the bottom (which you should leave a little thicker)
8. sand lightly and spray with laquer
9 pierce away

after you do this, you will
1. understand why I specified fresh ash
2. realize that the wood is fully dry and finished in one session
3. realize that it's easy to turn paper thin
4. realise that you can make somethign "too thin", and it doesn't feel right
5. not bother with hollowing tools and lasers for bowls
bill

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
Thanks to all who answered. Ken, the reason I am using the boring bar is
because I want to get real thin walls for piercing. I do not intend to
use it except for that purpose. My hollowing technique with the Stewart
type system is more than adequate but I don't trust myself for real thin
walls (1/8" to 1/16"). I wanted to answer Ken's post which others may
have had the same question. I will continue to read the posts and reply
again later. Thanks......Ralph

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1125294518.2ba8de33c0e49368e609dc7fcd2df7b2@t eranews...
???? I was just rereading this, and it struck me - why the heck are you
using all that hollowing stuff if what you are making is a "bowl"?? A 6
inch deep bowl of dry sycamore doesn't reaquire all that fancy stuff
"Ken Moon" wrote in message
nk.net...