Comcast Newsgroups

I need my cup of coffee, I was replying to Bill's comment not Ken's,
sorry......Ralph
"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
Thanks to all who answered. Ken, the reason I am using the boring bar is
because I want to get real thin walls for piercing. I do not intend to
use it except for that purpose. My hollowing technique with the Stewart
type system is more than adequate but I don't trust myself for real thin
walls (1/8" to 1/16"). I wanted to answer Ken's post which others may
have had the same question. I will continue to read the posts and reply
again later. Thanks......Ralph

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1125294518.2ba8de33c0e49368e609dc7fcd2df7b2@t eranews...
???? I was just rereading this, and it struck me - why the heck are you
using all that hollowing stuff if what you are making is a "bowl"?? A 6
inch deep bowl of dry sycamore doesn't reaquire all that fancy stuff
"Ken Moon" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
I am having a bit of a problem using a boring bar system and figured
someone out there can help. I am using the new Oneway laser guided
hollowing system with the John Jordan secondary tool rest. I am also
using the Stewart system ¾" hollowing tool with the tear drop scraper
blade attached to the Oneway boring bar. I have manually rough turned
the vessel to approx. ¾" wall thickness using the John Jordan hooker
type tool in the Stewart arm brace. My problem is severe vibration when
hollowing the sides with the boring bar. I am using the same setup as
described in Lyle Jamieson's website, secondary tool rest is at lathe
center height and the cutting tip is at center line. I am able to
scrape very nicely at the bottom and at the neck but when I get to the
sides it vibrates very severely. This is not a deep bowl, approximately
6 inches deep; the wood is dry sycamore (I get the same vibration with
other woods). I have to be doing something wrong but unfortunately I
haven't figured it out. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong will be
greatly appreciated....Ralph

You say you're using the teardrop scraper. If you're using the large
radius portion at right angle to the side, you may have too much cutter
surface attacking the side. Turn the cutter to expose a smaller surface
to the cut, and use a very LIGHT cut. See if that helps.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.