Ken Moon

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
I am having a bit of a problem using a boring bar system and figured
someone out there can help. I am using the new Oneway laser guided
hollowing system with the John Jordan secondary tool rest. I am also using
the Stewart system ¾" hollowing tool with the tear drop scraper blade
attached to the Oneway boring bar. I have manually rough turned the
vessel to approx. ¾" wall thickness using the John Jordan hooker type tool
in the Stewart arm brace. My problem is severe vibration when hollowing
the sides with the boring bar. I am using the same setup as described in
Lyle Jamieson's website, secondary tool rest is at lathe center height and
the cutting tip is at center line. I am able to scrape very nicely at the
bottom and at the neck but when I get to the sides it vibrates very
severely. This is not a deep bowl, approximately 6 inches deep; the wood
is dry sycamore (I get the same vibration with other woods). I have to be
doing something wrong but unfortunately I haven't figured it out. Any
ideas on what I am doing wrong will be greatly appreciated....Ralph

You say you're using the teardrop scraper. If you're using the large radius
portion at right angle to the side, you may have too much cutter surface
attacking the side. Turn the cutter to expose a smaller surface to the cut,
and use a very LIGHT cut. See if that helps.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.