william_b_noble

hint (for next bowl) - hollow it out in 1/2 inch lengths, leaving at least
3/4 inch thichkess below, starting at the rim. this applies to hollow forms
as well (as John Jordan demonstrated, among others)
"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
I am having a bit of a problem using a boring bar system and figured
someone out there can help. I am using the new Oneway laser guided
hollowing system with the John Jordan secondary tool rest. I am also using
the Stewart system ¾" hollowing tool with the tear drop scraper blade
attached to the Oneway boring bar. I have manually rough turned the
vessel to approx. ¾" wall thickness using the John Jordan hooker type tool
in the Stewart arm brace. My problem is severe vibration when hollowing
the sides with the boring bar. I am using the same setup as described in
Lyle Jamieson's website, secondary tool rest is at lathe center height and
the cutting tip is at center line. I am able to scrape very nicely at the
bottom and at the neck but when I get to the sides it vibrates very
severely. This is not a deep bowl, approximately 6 inches deep; the wood
is dry sycamore (I get the same vibration with other woods). I have to be
doing something wrong but unfortunately I haven't figured it out. Any
ideas on what I am doing wrong will be greatly appreciated....Ralph