Comcast Newsgroups

Default Boring bar setup and use

I am having a bit of a problem using a boring bar system and figured someone
out there can help. I am using the new Oneway laser guided hollowing system
with the John Jordan secondary tool rest. I am also using the Stewart
system ¾" hollowing tool with the tear drop scraper blade attached to the
Oneway boring bar. I have manually rough turned the vessel to approx. ¾"
wall thickness using the John Jordan hooker type tool in the Stewart arm
brace. My problem is severe vibration when hollowing the sides with the
boring bar. I am using the same setup as described in Lyle Jamieson's
website, secondary tool rest is at lathe center height and the cutting tip
is at center line. I am able to scrape very nicely at the bottom and at the
neck but when I get to the sides it vibrates very severely. This is not a
deep bowl, approximately 6 inches deep; the wood is dry sycamore (I get the
same vibration with other woods). I have to be doing something wrong but
unfortunately I haven't figured it out. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong
will be greatly appreciated....Ralph