Andy Hall wrote:
On 26 Aug 2005 16:19:49 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

The main thing is to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

This usually includes but is not limited to:

- Cut the pipe clean and square using a tubing cutter and not a
hacksaw

I don't buy this. When I started using plastic pipes I used a hacksaw
and trimmed of the pipe edge. As long as the cut is square all is fine
as the pipe indert isolates the pipe from the O ring as it is being
pushed on the pipe. For a few joints, using a hacksaw and some care,
and all is fine.

You are IMM and I claim my =A35.

More ukdiy paranoia. I was about to write "grow up", then I figured it
isn't worth it.

He said exactly the same and ended up
with a flood.

If I recall rightly he never had a flood, he had a faulty Speedfit
fitting and informed the group to beware. I take notice of this sort of
advice as I don't want problems when I fit pipes. I want to avoid
problem products and areas. I had given up on Speedfit before he posted
about it. I find the new locking Speedfit fittings are expensive and
bulky. I only use Speedfit when they are the only fittings available.
Wickes, B and Q and Homebase stock them as standard and at times I have
no choice. I prefer Osma Gold, which is about the same price as Hep2O
and much neater to look at.

Most, if not all of the plastic plumbing manufacturers explicitly tell
you not to use a hacksaw.

To the OP. That is bunkum. I have made lots of joints using a hacksaw
to cut plastic pipe. Hepworth on this actual group told everyone that a
plastic pipe cutter is not needed, and other tools can be used if care
is taken. A high quality pipe cutter is essential when doing a whole
system as they are very quick and easy. When fitting a sink unit using
a few joints they are not essential. As I have stated, make sure the
end of the pipe is square and trimmed off with a Stanley knife or fine
file. Use a mitre block to get a square cut, if you have one. The pipe
insert protects the O ring from the pipe behind it as the fitting is
pushed on. Any problems will be the O ring snagging any burr on the
pipe edge as the O ring slides over. Keep the pipe and fitting well
greased and twist slightly as you push. If you are only fitting a sink
unit then use high quality compression joints and copper pipes, not
plastic. Compression joints are easy to undo. Brass pushfit fittings
are difficult to undo even using the dismounting tool. The pushfit
flexible connectors can be used on copper pipe without inserts. Make
sure the copper pipe is cut with a sharp pipe cutter and no burred
edges and grease the pipe well. Do not overtighten the pipe cutter as
you turn it as this may oval the pipe. An oval pipe end may not make a
good seal with a pushfit fitting. If you do oval the pipe, push it into
a compression fitting to round it back up again. I now pipe up sink
mixer taps with rigid copper and compression joints. The copper pipe
keeps the mixer tap rigid. When flexible connectors are used the mixer
tap flexes on a thin stainless steel sink unit. This may be a turn off
to a potential house buyer, giving a flimsy DIY feel. I hope this helps

I use a =A340 gun type pipe cutter as I now use lots of
plastic pipe.

These are good, I know, but the casual user can use a =A35 pipe cutter
and get a good and correct result without bodging with a hacksaw

The cheap cutters are not worth it. You may as well use a sharp axe.

=20
=20
--=20
=20