Andy Hall

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:38:41 GMT, Steve
wrote:

As an occasional and always very hesitant diy plumber, I've always used
traditional soldered or compression fittings in the past. I'm just
about to fit an outside tap and my local B&Q has a very patchy stock of
fittings. As a result I've bought a brass tap plus a selection of these
new fangled push fit fittings (some copper, some plastic).

I'm a bit wary of the push fit stuff - is there anything I should watch
out for? What if it leaks on test, how do I tighten it up or get it
apart again?

TIA

Steve

The main thing is to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

This usually includes but is not limited to:

- Cut the pipe clean and square using a tubing cutter and not a
hacksaw

- Make sure that the end is thoroughly deburred to avoid slicing any
seals in the fitting.

- Mark the pipe using the distance given by the manufacturer or mark
on the fitting to ensure that the pipe is pushed fully home.

Fittings are generally demountable, although some do require a special
tool to do so. On others you push down on a ring at the mouth of the
fitting.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl