Cordless Crazy Cordless Crazy is offline
Senior Member

Red face A very long electrical supply to garden shed

I am planning to run an electrical supply to my shed and wish to get some advice before calling in an electrician, so as to avoid him baffling me with requirements and fleecing me of my hard earned cash!

The supply is to come from the CU in my garage, run surfaced fixed around the garage, through the wall, around the kitchen, through the wall and up the garden to the shed. The length of run through the house will be 10m and then 45m up the garden (armoured cable I assume buried in a duct 150mm below ground).

It will be supplying 3 No. strip double fluorescent lights, 3 No. internal double sockets, 1 No. external double socket and a water-butt pump (only used occasionally though). The maximum amount of things I will be using at the same time would be a couple of battery chargers, a circ saw and the lights.

Questions:

1. Can he utilise a spare 32A MCB running through a 80mA RCD on my CU in the garage?

2. If not, would is required?

3. What size of cable would be required on this 55m run with, what I assume will be, a huge voltage drop?

4. Can he install a switch within the kitchen to turn off the supply when I'm not in the shed? (This is to avoid the local thieving chavs nicking my juice!)

5. Can he install T&E through the house and changing at a weatherproof junction box on the external kitchen wall, to save on the cost of using Armoured all the way?

6. Will he insist on a separate CU in the garage running from the meter? (More money though to get electricity board involved)

7. Is it necessary to have a CU with separate breakers in the shed to control/isolate all the different components?

Any advice would be welcome to avoid being taken for a ride.